Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Just purchased a new video card, and I cannot enable hardware acceleration.
pvrvideoman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 26, 2012 21:03 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

I just installed an XFX Radeon 6870. Everything installed fine. However, I cannot enable the hardware acceleration options under "preferences". What do I do?

Mike
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
This post deleted because of wrong information.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2012 08:57

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

pvrvideoman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did already. I'm using Windows XP however. Is this the culprit? I can only get the 12.8 driver package.
pvrvideoman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have sp3 installed and all the available XP updates.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi pvrvideoman,

I don’t know if the link to a Cyberlink FAQ below (which addresses PD9 and APP), also apples to your particular situation. But when I recently added a new AMD 6750 card to my old XP rig (as my previous card was not on Cyberlink’s supported list), I still could not enable HA.
I’m led to believe that XP is the problem, but would love to be corrected if I’m wrong, so I too can enable HA on the old XP machine.

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=9933&prodId=4&prodVerId=848

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
This post deleted because of wrong information.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2012 08:58

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

pvrvideoman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am confused. #1 - windows XP does support Avivo - Isn't the video converter in the Catalyst Control Center part of the Avivo stuff? #2 - Carl you mention not enabling HA. Well heck - I though I could speed up render time with the right hardware. If I add a few effects to my clips, I can barely manage to play them, let alone continue to work in PD. Seriously though I think I need to move to Windows 7. This is frustrating.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Edit: Post removed by author. Ancillary issue resolved.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2012 03:42

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
A lot of us do not use hardware acceleration. It is too "iffy" for a lot of cards and machines and I actually render faster with it turned off....

Just because it's "there" does not mean its a great thing to use.... It works... I guess.... but I am faster without it.

Now saying that, there will be some jumping in and saying having it turned on turbocharged the render time from hours to seconds...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2012 21:38

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
pvrvideoman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay Bubba. What are your system specs? The systems recommendations on the site mention video cards that are Open CL compatible. But the specs say the software supports CUDA as well. How are you "faster" without HA?
Carl312
[Post New]
This post deleted because of bad etiquette.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2012 09:03

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
My system specs means nothing for your problem as your computer and my computer are not the same. Hardware acceleration has always been an issue in here and more so in the past... When I turn on HA just for grins it takes longer to render tha it does when it is turned off.. plus it normally just looks better. And no I do not have a super computer, just win7 64 bit machine HP... Nothing overly great, and 7 years old now. But is is a good one I guess...

I have AMD video. Have had Nvidia also.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2012 23:47

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
pvrvideoman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay you all - I finally got Windows 7 64bit installed. PD ultimate installed. Updated video card drivers, and patches for PD installed as well. Hardware acceleration enable also. It's going to work great now, right?

Barely any change in performance!

Open CL support must be pretty limited. Why advertise it if it doesn't really make much difference?

Win 7 64bit
Athlon X4 3.2 GHZ
4GB RAM
250GB HDD
XFX Radeon 6870
PD 11 Ultimate
Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Exactly...... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
The real limiter on your system is probably the 4 GB of memory, Win7 64 bit is going to eat up most of that, that means that paging on/off your hard drive is where most of your time is spent, it won't matter if video card or cpu is calculating, the lapsed time you preceive will be almost the same. Memory these days is dirt cheap, i got 32GB of high performance ram for a 100 bucks on black friday sale, that would be your best investment to speed up PD11 (i my opinion that is) RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
I have Windows 8 Pro 64bit with 8GB RAM and the AMD System monitor shows that I never use more than 2GB of it even when rendering video. More RAM probably wouldn't make any difference.

I've tried the trial version and the only time my ATI HD5550 GPU is actually used is with hidef, AVCHD rendering. Isn't used at all with MPEG2. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
pvrvideoman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Paging should not be a problem when I add an effect to a short clip, and simply try to play it. I plan on upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM. But right now, that is not the problem. The same thing was happening when I was Running XP pro - 32bit. New OS, new video card, same issues. This is a PD issue. But I will use it until I can afford something else.
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
I looked up the specs on your video card, thats a really nice card, I wish it had been on sale instead of my hd7770 pair.

I agree it shoud be a screamer, I will try a few older mpeg projects to see if hardware on/off does much.

I use stabilier and enhance a lot (shaky old hands) and performance monitor says the GPU is doing something then, will try turning off preview to see if the GPU is just showing pictures or actually doing useful work. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
BeFi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2012 16:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi pvrvideoman,

I suspect that your hard disk layout limits your system.

The RAM can't be it. I have 16 and I NEVER saw more than 3.6 GB of it used. Remarkable as I had set my system to never swap memory content to disk as per Win7 parameter.

Your system spec says 250 GB HDD. Even assuming thats a SSD you seem to have only one disk. In this case all OS read/write AND the heavy read/write originating by video editing would go to that one poor disk. In my setup video IN and video OUT are always going to different disks and the OS and app data are on yet another (SSD) disk not affected by video editing. When I play around with doing everything on one disk the effect on duration of producing videos is VERY visible.

Again - thats just guessing from the system info you gave in your earlier post.

A comment to your XFX video card: Thats indeed a powerful device but to my recent assessment will not really be as efficient for GPU acceleration as you - and I - probably hoped.

I just reverse-engineered similar questions having bought/built my system already and trying to get the most out of it.

See my findings in the following post http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/26138.page

What this seems to indicate is that any discrete GPU is choked by the still relatively slow PCIe connection while the - much weaker - integrated GPU in the intel core i7's brings the desired acceleration courtesy of its fast bus transfer.

You see me wording my findings cautiously as my humble experiments aren't providing scientific evidence.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 21. 2012 07:39

pvrvideoman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your insight.

Again - while the video card might not have been the answer, and the hard drive situation needs improvement, simply trying to play a clip on the timeline with some added effects should work a lot smoother. Open CL should work as advertised, or perhaps I was a bit too hopeful. Sony Vegas works well with (supported) GPU's. Youtube videos of it in action were very interesting! I just couldn't justify the cost. But enough of my whining, right? I'll just enjoy my upgrades, and hope Cyberlink comes out with some patches that can harness the power of this GPU. Anyone want to buy a Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 for $65? It is still a great gaming card.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 24. 2012 09:25