Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 11 Deluxe + Windows 7 64 bit (Ultimate)
GavinRickwood1970
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: Dec 15, 2012 14:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded and installed PowerDirector 11 (Deluxe) yesterday. The program executes and doesn't stay stable for more than a few seconds and then PDR11.exe stops working. I have tried every compatibility mode offered to me. I have sent a report to tech support followed by an email but I see there are similar issues on here with other Cyberlink products. I have a 64 bit laptop with a solid state hard drive but not because I am particularly au-fait with computers but because I use a statistical application that needs a lot of crunching power. I don't want my O/S to deceive people into thinking I know what I'm talking about so please use small words!

What is the distinction between 32 and 64 bit installations? Is PDR11.exe compatible with a 64 bit Win 7 O/S? Should I be looking for any tell-tale signs of missing complimentary / shared applications (DirectStuff etc.?)

I only want to take a few of our old home camcorder videos and play about with them. I used PowerDirector 7 a good few years and made a music video so I kind of know what I'm missing and I'm a bit disappointed that I've run into this as I know it's a great piece of software when it's running.

Tips gratefully received.

Gavin
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Gavin,
I am no 'video expert' but I can say that PD11 is fully compatible with Windows7, 64bit. I use this operating system and experience very few crashes and these are mostly due to my impatience when Editing. I use a laptop with i7 processor ... my pc spec is shown at my signature below.

Our experts will confirm that a reasonable spec level for PD11 is necessary and this detail can be viewed in FAQ's etc. You don't state your pc spec? One thing I need to be careful about is not trying to Preview at Full HD so I usually set the Preview at Normal, changing to HD if I want to view eg a still picture/frame during the Edit process. Viewing in Preview an active video places a heavy load on my processor and I can get some 'lag' viewing problems as a result. Setting Preview at Normal has no effect on the final Produce quality that you set.

I'm sure that one of our experts will chip in to assist you further.
Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
GavinRickwood1970
[Post New]
Thank you Ron. I didn't think to provide my spec:

Dell Inspiron 1750
Intel Core Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.8GHz
4GB RAM
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Unfortunately, the application doesn't execute at all now - It just crashes immediately. I've uninstalled & reinstalled and it does the same thing ... Is there an ini file where I can change the Preview to Normal by default perhaps?

Thanks again.
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Under the Preview window (top right in Edit), hover your mouse on the Preview Quality (symbol left of the speaker sign) and you can set the quality there to eg Normal. Not sure if this will solve your problem though so if not hopefully one of our experts can advise 'what next'.
Ron

[Thumb - PD11.JPG]
 Filename
PD11.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
8 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
342 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2012 10:11

CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
GavinRickwood1970
[Post New]
Thanks Ron but the application crashes before the default pictures & videos finish importing which, on a solid state drive, isn't long!
RonH
[Post New]
Sorry, I'm clean out of ideas ... not that I had many to start with!

From your description it seems that you cannot even load the Timeline using any of the sample clips included in Media Room with PD11? If all functions OK here then it may be an Import Media problem ... compatibility with what you are importing?

I seem to recall there are 'issues' using SSD but will have to leave it up to our experts, one I am sure will be in contact soonest.
Sorry, not much help from me
Ron
CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Two things to check.
1. Quicktime is current version 7.7.3 (Even a re-install might be needed to correct a corrupt installation).
2. Check for the latest Video driver at the manufacturer's web site.

What is the distinction between 32 and 64 bit installations? Is PDR11.exe compatible with a 64 bit Win 7 O/S? Should I be looking for any tell-tale signs of missing complimentary / shared applications (DirectStuff etc.?)

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/comparison_en_US.html

PD11 Deluxe is OK on Windows 7 64, but you are missing out on the 64 bit capabilities of PD 11 64.

PD11 Deluxe is a 32 bit program, so it is limited on the amount of RAM it can use. That can cause strange problems sometime because PD does not have the resources for Large video files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2012 12:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

GavinRickwood1970
[Post New]
An uninstall and reinstallation of QuickTime did the trick. Thankyou Carl! And thanks again Ron! You're Gentlemen and scholars!
RonH
[Post New]
I said that our experts would fix it
They have guided me a lot this past year or so ... enjoy your stay.
Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)