Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
creating disc
kev921hs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2012 09:32 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sure this has been covered but couldn't find a helpful thread...

I'm a new user; playing around with PD11 Ultra. I put a movie together and used Create Disc to burn an AVCHD to an output file - not directly to DVD. Now I want to burn that output file to DVD. Is there a way to do this? I see a folder structure and I'm wondering if I can just burn the files to DVD...

I know I could just burn the movie directly to DVD without going to an output file first but I'm trying to understand how to work with these output files.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

-Kevin
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Once it is output to a folder, you have to use a third party burning software to burn it to disc. I believe CyberLink has something that will work, but I use a non-CyberLink burning software. PowerDirector will not do it. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK that makes sense. What is the advantage of using 3rd party software over PowerDirector's (apparent) built in function to burn direct to disc?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: OK that makes sense. What is the advantage of using 3rd party software over PowerDirector's (apparent) built in function to burn direct to disc?

If you make a folder, you can then make as many copies as you want without the program having to re-render (re-encode) your project.

Creating a folder also separates the encoding from the burning. This is very helpful if there are sync issues or burning problems. This is best for moderately powered computers.

The Cyberlink product is called Power2Go and should have been free if you bought PD 11.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 10:25

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I pointed the burning process to a folder I created, C:\Output. Within that folder the process created a folder "My Video", and within that one a folder "BDMV". Inside BDMV there's a few folders and files - the files are index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv.

Which folder level do I burn to ensure this DVD can play in DVD players? I'd guess maybe the last level with a few folders and files?

Also can I use the built-in Windows 7 burn button, or will that not be a "playable" DVD?

EDIT: Just saw your edit Steve. I did buy PD11 Ultra but don't see a Power2Go program...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 10:30

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: OK that makes sense. What is the advantage of using 3rd party software over PowerDirector's (apparent) built in function to burn direct to disc?

Powerdirector's Burn Disk function renders the whole project every time you Burn a Disk. In effect a one time shot.

If you burn a folder, Powerdirector creates the Disk structure on your hard drive. From that structure you can use burning software to burn as many disks as you wish. You do not have to render the project again. Plus it takes less computer power to create a Disk folder.

Powerdirector can create the Disk folder but it does not have the ability to burn a disk from that disk folder. That is why you must use 3rd party disk burning software.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 10:32

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: So I pointed the burning process to a folder I created, C:\Output. Within that folder the process created a folder "My Video", and within that one a folder "BDMV". Inside BDMV there's a few folders and files - the files are index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv.

Which folder level do I burn to ensure this DVD can play in DVD players? I'd guess maybe the last level with a few folders and files?

Also can I use the built-in Windows 7 burn button, or will that not be a "playable" DVD?

EDIT: Just saw your edit Steve. I did buy PD11 Ultra but don't see a Power2Go program...

Go here: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power2go/overview_en_US.html?&r=1

The program is free but you get 15 days of the better version as a trial. The standard version will do what you want.

I just noticed that you are trying to burn a BR video disc. I have not used Power2Go for this but it should work.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 10:43

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great Steve, thank you. So I downloaded that. I'm guessing I want to do Video Disc-->Burn DVD Folder. Which folder level do I use?

And what do you mean by BR disc? Maybe I did something unintentional...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 10:56

stevek
[Post New]
Quote: Great Steve, thank you. So I downloaded that. I'm guessing I want to do Video Disc-->Burn DVD Folder. Which folder level do I use?

And what do you mean by BR disc? Maybe I did something unintentional...

Br - Blu -ray.

You said that you had a BRMV folder. That is associated with blu-ray format. Did you want to make a standard DVD or a AVCHD disc instead?

I'm going to have to play with Power2Go to see exactly how it works. For blu-ray, see this thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25553.page

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 11:07

kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
I see what you mean. Didn't realize that's what would result; I wanted an HD DVD but didn't want Blu-ray.

I just checked and I did choose the AVCHD option in Create Disc-->2D Disc. My settings were AVCHD, Widescreen, H.264, HD 1920x1080/60i. Is that the equivalent of Blu-Ray? I didn't intend that...

What I wanted was an HD DVD, but not Blu-ray. Is AVCHD the same as Blu-ray?
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Kevin:

See the URL below for the definition of AVCHD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

You can burn AVCHD to a DVD, but you will be limited as to how many minutes you can burn, since the files are about six times the size per minute as DVD-HQ (mpeg2) and a DVD with AVCHD content can only be played on a Blu-ray player, though apparently not all BD players accept that format. Check your BD player's documentation. Single layer DVDs only hold 4.7 GB of data whereas a single layer BD disk holds 25 GB.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: I see what you mean. Didn't realize that's what would result; I wanted an HD DVD but didn't want Blu-ray.

I just checked and I did choose the AVCHD option in Create Disc-->2D Disc. My settings were AVCHD, Widescreen, H.264, HD 1920x1080/60i. Is that the equivalent of Blu-Ray? I didn't intend that...

What I wanted was an HD DVD, but not Blu-ray. Is AVCHD the same as Blu-ray?

An AVCHD disc is a high definition video disc burned with a standard DVD burner on a standard disc. Since it is high definition 1920 by 1080, it must be played on a blu-ray player that will play an AVCHD disc. The other limitation is that the disc will only hold about 40 minutes of video.

A blu-ray disc must be burned with a blu-ray burner on a blu-ray disc. It can be played on a blu-ray player. It can hold many hours of video.

If you don't have a blu-ray player that will play AVCHD discs, you want a standard DVD. The definition is 720 by 480. You burn it on a standard disc with a standard burner and play it with almost any standard DVD players. You can get about one hour of best quality video on a single layer DVD. You can get more on a DVD with some loss of quality. If your project is around one hour or slightly more, there should be little or not degradation of quality.

Phew ! Did I answer everything?

kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil and Steve - that's very clear. Thank you. I'm OK with the time limit of AVCHD on standard DVD in this case. However I didn't realize AVCHD could only be played on Blu-ray players. Which I do not have. Sounds like I need to get one if I want to watch my HD home video in HD.

I really appreciate the help guys.

-Kevin
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: Phil and Steve - that's very clear. Thank you. I'm OK with the time limit of AVCHD on standard DVD in this case. However I didn't realize AVCHD could only be played on Blu-ray players. Which I do not have. Sounds like I need to get one if I want to watch my HD home video in HD.

I really appreciate the help guys.

-Kevin

I recently bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B7R9QE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01

You may be able to find one cheaper. This one will burn and read blu-ray, avchd and standard discs. It comes with a Cyberlink blu-ray suite. If your TV has a USB port you can plug it into that and by double pressing a button will play the discs on that TV.

Read the reviews. .
[Post New]
Quote: Phil and Steve - that's very clear. Thank you. I'm OK with the time limit of AVCHD on standard DVD in this case. However I didn't realize AVCHD could only be played on Blu-ray players. Which I do not have. Sounds like I need to get one if I want to watch my HD home video in HD.

-Kevin

I have made several discs, both DVD and AVCHD, from the same HiDef video clips using Power Director 10 to create the disc folder structures on my desktop computer. Using the AVCHD output folder created by PD10, I burn an AVCHD disc on a standard DVD that will play in a Blu-Ray player. For relatives who don't yet have Blu-Ray, I burn a standard DVD from the DVD folder created by PD10. I burn the physical disc from these folders using ImgBurn, a widely used disc burner that is much easier to use than its somewhat technical user interface might indicate. ImgBurn will recognize whether the folder on your computer is using a DVD structure or a Blu-Ray structure and it will prompt you and adjust its settings accordingly. ImgBurn is available at http://www.imgburn.com/. There you will also find support forums and guides to walk you through the processes involved.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I just noticed that you are trying to burn a BR video disc. I have not used Power2Go for this but it should work.

No, it will not.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2012 19:34

Jerry Schwartz
stevek
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

No, it will not.

You are correct. At this point I'm not even convinced that the Blu-ray suite that I mentioned above will do it either. I even had issues using ImgBurn to burn an AVCHD disc. ! .