Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GPU that's not overkill
kev921hs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2012 09:32 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
All - looking for some quick advice on a GPU. I bought PD11 Ultra and currently don't have one but from reading the specs it sounds like I'd benefit. Here's my setup:

i5-2400 3.1 ghz
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Intel Z68 with PCI Express 2.0 x16

Use: editing/creating HD video for friends & family (for example, working on my friend's son's baptism movie now)

When you look at Nvidia and AMD's websites and recommendations for editing HD video they say GeForce GTX 650 and Radeon HD 6670 (or higher) respectively. My budget is flexible up to $140 but are these cards worth the cost, or overkill? Will I notice a difference with something cheaper? If I can get comparable performance for $60 or $80, I prefer that.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Kevin
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I run a i7 2600@3.4 gh with a geforce 560ti 1Gb graphic card no problems..and they aren't that expensive now.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Try this thread for the latest controversy.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25826.page

Cheers
Adrian

PS Ignore the arguments.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2012 17:43

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
PS Ignore the arguments.

Yikes. That's not easy to do.

Sounds like some feel strongly that QuickSync does a better job, in rendering at least, than any low or mid range GPU. If I'm never going to play games, maybe I should save my money? Or does a discrete GPU help in other ways - the editing process for example?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2012 22:32

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Actually that thread is fairly lame compared to the comments in a LOT of threads in here in past years.... And I am guilty as many others....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 04. 2012 22:47

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
v8yunkie270368 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Germany Joined: Nov 05, 2012 04:26 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I my computer that I recently assembled (FX8120, Window 7 Prof 64, 16GB RAM), I had a AMD 7770 2GB from ASUS (which should be in your price range) at first. Performance capability seemed to be OK, but cooling was not - even though this one had two fans. The temp-gauge only showed 39 degrees Celsius, but that might not have been at the critical spot.
After appr. 90% of rendering, video broke down by means of a 2-second black screen and subsequent message of the display driver that had to be restored.

Then I changed to NVIDIA GTX660 2GB, which is a little more costly, but also a lot bigger and obviously with sufficient cooling.
No problems ever since and even better rendering times. But also, to be safe, I changed to a case with better cooling.

So my take-away is, that cooling is substanitial for video-cutting.

Regards,
Thomas
kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
So PD11 Ultra's specs list a ton of compatible GPU's. It recommends 1 GB RAM and Open CL, but nothing else specific. Which leads to the question:

Does the lack of mention of NVIDIA's CUDA cores or AMD's stream processors imply PD11 Ultra doesn't benefit from these?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 05. 2012 08:32

PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kev

I have the opinion that PowerDirector seemed to be more CUDA (Nvidia) friendly in versions 8 & 9.
Not that I claim to understand what it all really means.
In versions 10 & 11 Open CL seems to be mentioned rather than CUDA.
Have a read of this article published February 2012, might throw some light on the subject ........

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-02-28/opencl_gains_ground_on_cuda.html

Patrick.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2012 11:47

kev921hs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kev

www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/.../opencl_gains_ground_on_cuda.html

Patrick.

Patrick - that link didn't work; can you try again?

Is OpenCL standard on all NVIDIA cards? I haven't seen it listed on any spec sheets there, but have seen it on some Radeon's.

Thanks,
Kevin
v8yunkie270368 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Germany Joined: Nov 05, 2012 04:26 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
At least on my GTX660 OPEN CL is supported - instead I have no box to check for CUDA support (that's with the lastest driver from NVIDIA... with the older driver supplied on CD with the GPU, CUDA was checkable).

I have deactivated OPENCL and Hardware Decoding completely due to some comments that these features might cause quality issues.... and still, speed with GTX660 is great (9min Rendering for 36min of HD video).

Regards,
Thomas
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kev,

Sorry the date fell out somehow, try this ...

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-02-28/opencl_gains_ground_on_cuda.html

Patrick