Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD Production-Burning: Is PD11-Ultra Superior to PD9-Ultra???
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Due to the significant price drop of PD11 for upgraders, I'm now seriously considering upgrading from PD9-Ultra to PD11-Ultra.

The only thing I do with Power Director is take 8th grade basketball game videos from my Canon HG10 camcorder and burn them directly to DVD-HQ without any titles, chapters, etc..for the coaches to review and to show the players their moves in slow-mo during practice.

Question to those of you who once had PD9: Is PD11 better at burning DVD's than PD9? (i.e. Is producing faster, or module interface improved, or the DVD quality any better?) I read in one of the patch update logs for PD11 that Cyberlink enhanced the CODEC for producing MPEG-2. Isn't a DVD-HQ produced as MPEG-2? Sounds encouraging. If PD11 is better at producing DVD's in some way, I'll gladly upgrade. Otherwise, I'll just stick with PD9.

Thanks in advance for all feedback!

-Allen in Chicagoland
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
PD11's main benefit is for HD editors. Unless you're looking at upgrading to HD PD9 is very good for what you are doing.

In today's media world I'm surprised that you're OK with SD video however. Win 10, i7
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply, HDedit. I was hoping for good news, (that PD11 burns higher quality DVD's than PD9), but I appreciate your honesty. Unless something has changed in the DVD World, I don't think that a High Definition DVD will play on your casual DVD player? Our team just uses a $120 DVD player purchased at Best Buy to train the players. Is the "SD Video" you refer to the same as "DVD-HQ"...which is what I use.
-Allen
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Allen

Sorry to butt in on HD's excellent answer but all DVD's are standard definition or DVD HQ in the PD settings.

A DVD uses a resolution of 720x480/576.

If you are using high definition video you really do need:

1. A high definition (1920x1080) TV
2. A Blu-ray player
3. Produce your file to a HD profile and watch via a USB
4. Burn your project to a blu-ray disc.

All the best Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

AllenChicago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello C.H.Films. You didn't "butt in", as you put it. I asked for input from all sources. Thank-you for yours!

My original post/question was simply if PD11 makes higher quality DVD-HQ DVD's than PD9..or are there any improvements to the visual aesthetics of the "Create Disk" module of PD11 vs PD9. (i.e. Like seeing the "Produce" and "Burn" progress bars separately, even when making only one DVD. With PD9, I have to "trick" the program into thinking I'm going to make 2+ DVDs just to see the Producing and Burning processes separately.. otherwise, both are lumped together. Programmers used some goofy logic when deciding not to ALWAYS show each process in it's own progress bar. Would be nice to get away from having to use such program trickery!)

Thanks again for your feedback regarding the methods for showing HD Videos, should I ever want to produce one.
-AC
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you uncheck Burn Disk and only check Burn Disk Folder. You will only see the assembly in the progress bar.

There is no Burn Disk when you use the Burn Disk Folder only.

To burn the PD created Disk Folder to actual disk, use a Disk Burning App. There are plenty of free disk burn applications.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the reply, HDedit. I was hoping for good news, (that PD11 burns higher quality DVD's than PD9), but I appreciate your honesty. Unless something has changed in the DVD World, I don't think that a High Definition DVD will play on your casual DVD player? Our team just uses a $120 DVD player purchased at Best Buy to train the players. Is the "SD Video" you refer to the same as "DVD-HQ"...which is what I use.
-Allen

If you are only burning a single project for the coach with no editing I suggest you maybe consider using HD footage. The quality is so much better for sports than DVD-HQ and your current camera supports full HD. You can purchase a standalone BD player for about $40US so if the coaches current TV supports playing higher resolution the team/coach would be very thankfull I'd think. Another benefit for you since you are dumping the whole video with no edits to disc, you can record and create a BD at the same resolution, hence SVRT can be used and make the produce time a fraction of what you do now converting your captured footage to DVD-HQ and burning DVD. SVRT used in this fashion does not introduce any artifacts that I have seen. Of course the above suggestion requires you to have a BD burner in your computer, not sure if you do, $70US

Jeff
JoseJuan929 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Barcelona Joined: Sep 10, 2012 07:20 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
? Alguien edición 3D HD Ultimate PowerDirector11 el editor, o de otro tipo, con clips y fotos y renderizado 3D o grabar discos Blu-Ray 3D funciona. Yo no habría conseguido ni siquiera con 11 o versiones anteriores y servicio técnico no tiene ni idea, no han podido contestarme desde junio. Empeñado en que funcione en 3D PowerDirector
JoseJuan929 [Avatar]
[Post New]
? Alguien edita 3D en Alta Definición con el editor PowerDirector11 Ultimate, u Otro, estafadores clips y fotos en 3D y al renderizar o quemar música disco Blu-Ray en 3D le Funciona?. Yo no se le conseguido ni con el 11 ni en Versiones Anteriores y Su Servicio Tecnico ni idea ni Tiene, sin darme Han Sabido Respuesta desde el mes de Junio. Empeñado en que funcione en 3D PowerDirector
JoseJuan929 [Avatar]
[Post New]
¿ Alguien edita 3D en Alta Definición con el editor PowerDirector11 Ultimate u otro, usando clips y fotos en 3D al renderizar o quemar en disco Blu-Ray en 3D y le Funciona?. Yo no lo he conseguido, siempre falla bloqueándose en algún porcentaje en la renderización, ni con el 11 ni en Versiones Anteriores y Su Servicio Tecnico , supongo, no saben encontrar el problema. Estoy así desde el mes de Junio. Os agradeceré comentarios Empeñado en que funcione en 3D PowerDirector
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The above item translated :

Does anyone edit 3D HD Ultimate PowerDirector11 the editor or another, using clips and photos in 3D to render or burn to Blu-Ray 3D and Works. I have not got, always fails to hang at any rate in the rendering, or the 11 and earlier versions and its service, I suppose, not able to find the problem. I'm so since June. I appreciate comments.

Win 10, i7
AllenChicago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to everyone who responded with constructive advice! Since my PC is a 2009 model with no Blu-Ray burner, (HP Desktop e9220y), I'm going to investigate getting a better computer that's more suitable for HD production/burning. There are several helpful threads in the forum I'll use for guidance. I'll also work with the school to see if they'll get a HD-Capable Television for the teams. The 25-inch 1985 box-on-a-stand television they use nowhere near ready for HD footage. Thanks JL_JL for that suggestion.

Carl312, I did the Burn-To-Folder option and also downloaded a free program called (I think) Imageburn? Anyway, I couldn't figure out what to do with the Video and Audio folders that PD-9 created. Will have to research that some more when I'm retired and have more time. But for now, it's just easier to tell PowerDirector that I want to make more than one DVD in order to see the Producing and Burning processes separately. Thanks anyway for the advice. It's appreciated.

-Allen in Chicagoland
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks to everyone who responded with constructive advice! Since my PC is a 2009 model with no Blu-Ray burner, (HP Desktop e9220y), I'm going to investigate getting a better computer that's more suitable for HD production/burning. There are several helpful threads in the forum I'll use for guidance. I'll also work with the school to see if they'll get a HD-Capable Television for the teams. The 25-inch 1985 box-on-a-stand television they use nowhere near ready for HD footage. Thanks JL_JL for that suggestion.

Carl312, I did the Burn-To-Folder option and also downloaded a free program called (I think) Imageburn? Anyway, I couldn't figure out what to do with the Video and Audio folders that PD-9 created. Will have to research that some more when I'm retired and have more time. But for now, it's just easier to tell PowerDirector that I want to make more than one DVD in order to see the Producing and Burning processes separately. Thanks anyway for the advice. It's appreciated.

-Allen in Chicagoland

You can tell your school that a HD TV can be bought for as little as about $350 USD. That woud be for a 32 inch LCD TV.

I am not familiar with Imageburn, but the method to burn a DVD is you burn the two folders in "My Video" to the Disk.

If there is an option in the software to burn a DVD Video, choose that option.

For a DVD the folders are:
AUDIO_TS
VIDEO_TS

AUDIO_TS may be empty, burn it anyway. It is a necessary part of the DVD Video disk structure.
The Videos and Menu are in VIDEO_TS.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2012 22:26

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have had quite a bit of success creating Blue ray DVD's incorporating my 2d video to 3D and creating my own 3D titles and burning to folder then using ImgBurn to create a Blu ray DVD. Power Director creates the necessary folder structure, then use ImgBurn (and a Blu ray disk and burner) tom burn using ImgBurn's burn folder option.
Jim
P.s. I have a fairly powerful system tho'.
p.s. Invest in some blu ray rewritable disk to experiment first. (save a lot of coasters)
Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
JoseJuan929 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Mi equipo tiene procesador I7 4 núcleos, 42 Gb. de memoria Ram y tarjeta gráfica Gigabyte Geforce 680. Por lo que tengo máquina de sobra. Los clips son directamente 3D al tener videocámara 3D. Las fotos 2D a 3D va bien y graba bien, pero no así de grabación directa de clips 3D que me queda bloqueado. Empeñado en que funcione en 3D PowerDirector
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My computer has 4 core I7 processor, 42 GB of RAM and graphics card Gigabyte Geforce 680. So I have spare machine. The clips are to be directly 3D 3D camcorder. The 2D to 3D photos and record successfully goes well, but not direct recording of 3D clips that stuck me.

Hola José,
Por favor enviar su problema como un tema nuevo. Enlace: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=110
Mensaje privado enviado.
Forum Moderator