Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow Video Playback when in PowerDirector 6 Edit Mode
Jim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2008 23:08 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having a frustrating problem which I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I take a movie clip and put it in the timeline... then I press the 'play' button to watch it and determine where I want to insert effects, etc.. the playback is S L OW and perhaps a little choppy, and the sound is like from darth vader... it just all goes very slow.

When I play the same clip by itself, (various programs, including Power DVD) it plays/sounds just fine. I've tried this with VOB MPEG files off of a CD with home movies, and also with my MPEG movie clips I've shot and captured via firewire. I believe the movie clips are ok, but won't play back correctly in PowerDirector Edit mode.

Any ideas? I'm running an nVidia 8500 GT with plenty of memory for display adaptor (and latest driver), and the CPU is 2-core 2.2 GHZ with 2GB of memory.... so I don't think it should be a slow computer issue.

is there a setting that I need to change in PowerDirector for this? thanks!
Jim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 09, 2008 23:08 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I finally had a breakthrough on this... and frankly I was surprised at what I found.

I had mentioned that I have a relatively fast computer.... which also includes a couple of SATA/300 HDDs. However, I had an old IDE 500 GB drive that I was using to store all my videos on. Hence, I was using that drive as my 'work drive' for all the PowerDirector work.

I copied a couple of clips over to the SATA drives, and tried it again... boof! everything runs as normal. It apears I just can't get enough throughput from the IDE drive to run smoothly... which surprises me. I have indexing off, have the drive defragged, etc.... but still no-go.

Anyway, in case someone else is seeing this, these were my findings.
Donald [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 07, 2008 10:40 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, thanks, I had the same issue and couldn't figure it out. My computer sounds like the exact one you have! I have all the same stuff including an older drive that I'm storing all my video's on for Power Director. I can't wait ti get home and transfer them to the faster, newer drive.

Donald
Take away our handguns
Then only the criminals will have them!
White Razor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 26, 2011 08:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I am having this problem on PowerDirector 9... this is pretty much the only place I can find somebody with the same issue.

I have edited using files from the same location too. Frapsed files from the same game even.

Moving files doesn't work...