Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Large photo rolling left/right as video?
artzie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Finland Joined: Nov 19, 2010 19:49 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Howto make large photo (or panorama?) move left/right, so that it looks like it's video?
Wollo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Northeastern USA Joined: Oct 25, 2012 15:00 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
This is known as the "Ken Burns Effect" (at least in the USA) because of its use by a popular documentarian of that name.

Some video editing packages include a "Ken Burns Effect" pan/zoom/track feature.

You apply motion paths in PD9 to get a similar effect.

See:

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/3004.page

I hope this helps. Nikon D5100
Dell Latitude E6510 for dev/editing
Dell XPS 8500 for production
4 Core i7 M620 2.67Ghz
8GB ram
Win 7 professional, Ubuntu 12.4
PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Virtualized Ubuntu Srvr
artzie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Finland Joined: Nov 19, 2010 19:49 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks. I first try a wrong motion (pip)...
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi artzie -

I've spent quite a bit of time trying out different ways of panning across a panoramic image in PD... lots in fact. It's been discussed many times in the forum... one example http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24604.page - there are other references in that thread, & links to test videos

There are different ways to go about it:
1. In PD use Magic Motion
2. In PD use PiP Designer
3. Use a piece of free software called WPanorama http://www.wpanorama.com/wpanorama.php?r=1351386909

What I've found (strangely) is that PD8 produces better results than PD9 or PD10. I've not done comparison tests with PD11 yet.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Wollo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Northeastern USA Joined: Oct 25, 2012 15:00 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I agree that this effect s often better done in other tools and the resulting clip imported to PD. Although, one editing tool that does it well is Apple's iMovie.

I use the free 3D animation package called Blender (www.blender.org). It allows you to do extremely precise pan/track/zoom and all sorts of other still mage motion effects. It takes a bit of learning, but is well worth it.

Nikon D5100
4 Core i7 M620 2.67Ghz
8GB ram
PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Virtualized Ubuntu Srvr
fante1998 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2012 08:33 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I want to make a "Ken Burns Effect"
But I have a problem with HiRes images.
During importing images in high resolution PowerDirector11 lowers the resolution and I see very low quality ... why?

I start to think that there is a limit on the size for the images to be imported ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 31. 2012 12:30

Wollo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have not seen such problems in the rendered output.

I've learned with different systems over the years that imported photographs might lose resolution or get "stretched".

What I try to do is make sure the pixel size of the imported photograph is the same as the size that I want in the rendered output.

I do that in Photoshop, either by resizing the image or padding it with a border.

For example, if you intend to produce 1080 x 720 output, create an image background of that size and paste your pictures on it.

If your images are larger, use the photoshop resize function to make them 1080 x 720. Nikon D5100
4 Core i7 M620 2.67Ghz
8GB ram
PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Virtualized Ubuntu Srvr