Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multi-GPGPU Acceleration. Has anyone verified GPU activity on both cards?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, if the question is does PD11 use multiple GPU's like in 2 video cards (SLI) as in using nVidia GPU's the answer is a resounding yes.

I have run my 2 x GTX460 in SLI with PD11 and can monitor GPU activity for both cards using AIDA64 and there is activity on both cards doing editing, rendering etc. with PD11, can't speak to the other brand cards.

If that wasn't the questing then sorry can't help

I have the same SLI set up with 2 GTX460's and "Afterburner" only shows one card active when using PD.

I haven't chased it up any further after reports of hardware acceleration rendering being worse than CPU rendering. Plus I only do short videos max about 20 minutes most under 10 minutes so time is not a factor for me.

I agree with Robert. But if someone sees activity on each distinct video card during editing and rendering using an SLI setup then there you have it.

I did speak with Cyberlink representatives in person at the CES show in Las Vegas and tried to get some further clarification on this subject over dinner. Some of the increased speed advertised was a result of utilizing effects on the timeline that displayed the NvIdea or ATI logo on the effect in the effects room. The second GPU if it was of the correct type, could render these effects more quickly would result in an overall shorter render time.

I think it still needs further clarification to fully understand what is required for the PC and on the timeline with specific effects to fully understand that speed gains in rendering.

But as Robert says and I have found this personally to be accurate...rendering without hardware acceleration produces a better output.

It is never a bother to me to read an entire topic, although I do misread them sometimes.

Kevin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 18:11

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
By the way Cap't Kevin.....you will need to get a new motherboard if you upgrade to sandy bridge or ivy bridge.

I know. Trying to see if it would be worth upgrading the CPU and mother board. I would probably build a new system instead. It would
make more sense to build new and have my other working system for another use.

Thanks for taking the time to read the "whole" topic! I appreciate your observation!

What would your advice be to make use of my setup?

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It is never a bother to me to read an entire topic, although I do misread them sometimes.

Not really relevant!
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: It is never a bother to me to read an entire topic, although I do misread them sometimes.

Not really relevant!

Your reply is not relevant to the topic. Try to get involved and help in the topic. This is a relevant topic that I started and I would prefer that it not be distracted.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 18:29

djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, if the question is does PD11 use multiple GPU's like in 2 video cards (SLI) as in using nVidia GPU's the answer is a resounding yes.

I have run my 2 x GTX460 in SLI with PD11 and can monitor GPU activity for both cards using AIDA64 and there is activity on both cards doing editing, rendering etc. with PD11, can't speak to the other brand cards.

If that wasn't the questing then sorry can't help

I have the same SLI set up with 2 GTX460's and "Afterburner" only shows one card active when using PD.

I haven't chased it up any further after reports of hardware acceleration rendering being worse than CPU rendering. Plus I only do short videos max about 20 minutes most under 10 minutes so time is not a factor for me.

The last time I used afterburner it was only capable of reporting on 1 GPU same as EVGA Precision X that I use now, Furmark and Heaven will report on both GPU's but of course will not report PD11 as that is not their function.

Get AIDA64 or TechPowerUp version 0.6.7 of GPU-Z to see SLI in action with PD11, as to your other comment regarding quality I can only say that seems subjective and I can't see a quality difference from edits done when we couldn't use hardware rendering to after it was fixed.
Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
djmorgan
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Not really relevant!

Your reply is not relevant to the topic. Try to get involved and help in the topic. This is a relevant topic that I started and I would prefer that it not be distracted.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Then you should not throw in inflammatory comments that are NOT RELEVANT to your own thread, I have all day to bait you if you want the challenge
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Request to the moderator;

Can you please remove the last 5 posts including this one to keep this topic on track?

Thank you in advance.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I'm with you Kevin. I want to know about SLI. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

The last time I used afterburner it was only capable of reporting on 1 GPU same as EVGA Precision X that I use now, Furmark and Heaven will report on both GPU's but of course will not report PD11 as that is not their function.

I am using version 2.1.0 and it shows activity on both cards when using my computer. You know I really don't care about sli working or not as it doesn't effect me but I just did another test using afterburner and got some weird results....it is a computer, so I don't really expect these days a logical result.

1. No hardware acceleration 1st gpu shows 17-18% 2nd gpu shows 3-4%

2. Hardware acceleration on 1st gpu shows 4-5% 2nd gpu showing 4-5%

Go figure My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
It has been a while since last I was here. Nice to see some hardy souls still trying to share information in the forum.
Sad to see that DJMorgan is still here (and this is WHY??? MODERATOR???) spewing.
I guess I will go away for a few more months and hope to see you all again when I return.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 21:10

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I'm drawing a line under the whole thread and I have referred the matter to CyberLink.
Forum Moderator