Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering is too slow
thdman1511 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South Australia Joined: May 17, 2012 19:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I recently upgraded from PowerDirector10ultra to PowerDirector11 ultimate and opened a project that I was working on in PDR10. When I went to preview it in edit mode, the rendering became slow. It is a 10 minutes video, with maybe 2 effects and 1 mp3 song.
It would render every 5 seconds (3 second rendering process with a 2s pause), this has slowed down my editing process and creativity.

I was told that editing process would be more quicker under PowerDirector 11, but I have found it to be slow. The project is 10 minutes in duration. My wife who purchased the upgrade for me, got very frustrated that she paid for it and it slower than PDR10.

Is this normal for PowerDirector 11 to render so slowly or is there a problem with my copy of the program.

I have tried to lodge a support ticket but I keep getting an unable to process your ticket please try again latter.

Can anyone help me.

My computer system is as follows:
AMD FX4170 4.2 GHz Quad Core processor
600 Watt Power Supply
8 Gb DDR3 Ram.
AOC 2352 3D Monitor (primary)
LG 2350 LED Monitor
LG DVD Burner
LG BD Rewriter
1 TB HDD
 Filename
NVIDIA System Information 09-24-2012 12-19-38.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Graphics Card Information
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
861 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiagPDR11_240912.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag 64 bit file
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
676 time(s)
Asus 78L-MLX PLUS Motherboard, AMD FX4170 Quad Core 4.2 GHz Processor, 8MB DDR 1333 RAM, 1 TB HDD, AOC 23 Inch 3D Monitor, LG 23 Inch LED Monitor. SEAGATE GoFlex Home 2 TB external Hard Drive, WD External HDD 2.5TB (BACKUPS), Cable Broadband.
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24666.page PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
thdman1511 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South Australia Joined: May 17, 2012 19:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
After reading the post above, and waiting for almost 1 hours for rendering of a 15 minute video. I will test to see if it s my graphics driver and roll it back to an earlier version.

But if it has to always render every time I open the project before I can do anymore editing, and it take 1 hours to render every time, then I cannot use PowerDirector 11 anymore. I have been using PowerDirector since I got Version 7 and have always upgraded to the next version when the upgrade have been available because the programs was fantastic. However if PDR 11 doesnt work after I have rolled back my graphics driver to 301, then I have to look elsewhere for my video editing software.

So I will get back to you all when I have rolled back my graphics driver.
Asus 78L-MLX PLUS Motherboard, AMD FX4170 Quad Core 4.2 GHz Processor, 8MB DDR 1333 RAM, 1 TB HDD, AOC 23 Inch 3D Monitor, LG 23 Inch LED Monitor. SEAGATE GoFlex Home 2 TB external Hard Drive, WD External HDD 2.5TB (BACKUPS), Cable Broadband.
thdman1511 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, after investigations I found that the issue could be graphics card related as the forum post of jmone has suggested.

I have Geforce GTX 560 graphics card, originally running 306.23 driver, I then rolled it back to 301.42 driver, and there was no problems. I then proceeded to update the driver to 304.79 Driver and I got the rendering problems as I did with driver 306.23.

The issue could also be due to PDR11 Multi-GPGPU feature, and I am not sure whether anyone has considered that possibility.

It should be noted that most of Nvidia graphic card driver updates have been geared for Gaming and not so much for productivity, and this is shown that they show the improvements that the driver have for games and no mention about video editing and productivity areas.

As a result of this investigation I will roll back my graphics card driver to 301.42, hopefully it wont affect my gaming hobby. Asus 78L-MLX PLUS Motherboard, AMD FX4170 Quad Core 4.2 GHz Processor, 8MB DDR 1333 RAM, 1 TB HDD, AOC 23 Inch 3D Monitor, LG 23 Inch LED Monitor. SEAGATE GoFlex Home 2 TB external Hard Drive, WD External HDD 2.5TB (BACKUPS), Cable Broadband.
[Post New]
Like you, I have an Nvidia card (GTX 560 Ti), and have been unable to use PD11 yet because of this rendering issue. I currently am using the latest Geforce drivers, 306.23, which I know is the source of this PD11-specific problem. Thing is, I also like to game a lot, and I'm never too willing to rollback drivers & sacrifice game performance for a single issue such as this, which I assume to be fixed rather soon.

Thanks for mentioning that the 301.42 driver seems to not cause this rendering issue; I will maybe roll back to those drivers, which aren't too old anyhow, and see if my problem is resolved.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Andrew -

If you check out http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.23-whql-driver.html you may find that your favourite games aren't greatly affected.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
As per post referenced in the previous...it is the new Geforce drivers above 301.??..it has been submitted to Nvidia..it concerns the CUDA rendering engine. roll back to 301.42 and problem solved. I have the Geforce 560ti graphic card and have no problems now that I rolled back my driver.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
risey
Member Location: United Kingdom Joined: Jan 31, 2012 19:38 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Nvidia are aware of the problem, here is my reply from them a few weeks ago:

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for letting us know. We are aware of this issue and is in process of correcting it, hopefully soon in future driver updates.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Ryan Anthony
http://www.PhatMonkey.me
wildfisher2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2012 13:09 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here. Brand new PC, Intel I7 3.5 GHZ, 16MB memory, Geforce 660 Ti

Power Director 11, just bought, completely unusable for editing.

Final rendering works OK, preview takes forever. It also randomly locks up for minutes at a time. Honestly, what a crock of ****. All other software works fine. No doubt we will soon be offered the all new version 12, all for just another $100 or so. Cyberlink are pretty good at that anyway!

The last in a long line of straws, camel's back has finally broken. I have been a long term Cyberlink user, no more!

Adobe here I come!
risey
[Post New]
I will admit i am SHOCKED at the lack of support over this issue by Cyberlink, i did originally contact them and told them they have a responsibility to inform nvidia after i stated what the problem actually is, the reply i got was hilarious, they wanted to know what i was doing at the time to cause the problem, obviously a robot help support or as we call them in the UK a TOOL that knows everything about nothing, had they read my support question the answer should have been: We will make an effort to contact Nvidia (As do 90% of gaming / software companies) Ryan Anthony
wildfisher2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: the reply i got was hilarious, they wanted to know what i was doing at the time to cause the problem

You got a reply? How long did that take?

I can tell them what I was doing.

Insert a simple jpg from their own library into the time line, just one track, one file - then preview it. You can go make a coffee while it renders and displays. This is ridiculous. The weird thing is it renders and saves a long HD clip fine in "produce" very fast indeed it's just preview that does not work for me and that makes editing impossible for all practical purposes.

It's a real shame, but for me it's just one more reason to move. What a waste of money and lots of time.
[Post New]
Folks;
Anyone using Nvidia Drivers NEWER than 301.42 WILL EXPERIENCE difficulty!!

Rolling back to 301.42 should fix your issues. In some cases, it requires a CLEAN INSTALL of 301.42. Instructions are on the download page of Nvidia!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 02. 2012 17:08

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
This is note to risey and wildfisher2...neither of you have given the Dxdiag file of your systems for volunteer members to help you locate your individual problems...as each member has a different computer configuration and therefore the solutions and advice is different.
I myself run Pd11 Ultimate with no problems...and I have i7 2600@3.4Gh processor, Geforce 560ti graphic accelerator and 12 GB memory. It is hard for members to give advice and recommendations that are universal to all computer systems.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

risey
[Post New]
Dear god... enough with the bots, i told support what the problem was, am i living on the moon or something, its not the program its the driver. But since Cyberlink are using Nvidia for there sales pitch, they have a responsibility to contact Nvidia when a problem occurs with there driver compatibility, if not remove the sales pitch.

PS JAMES, u claim u have no problem, then why did u state ABOVE, u rolled back your driver and now it works... god sake.. NEXT..

I have a i7 990x 3.4 / Win 64 bit / 24 gig of ram / Nvidia Geforce 590 SLI, the only thing my PC cant handle is making tea...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2012 17:30

Ryan Anthony
wildfisher2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi FredB ,

Thanks for your help, but it's not at all clear to me if installing the older 301.42 will work on my new 660 ti card, it's not listed for the driver Nor can I find the info about clean install you mentioned.
risey
[Post New]
Quote: Hi FredB ,

Thanks for your help, but it's not at all clear to me if installing the older 301.42 will work on my new 660 ti card, it's not listed for the driver Nor can I find the info about clean install you mentioned.

Yes the older driver works mate, however i dont have a 600 series card, i had to go back to the latest driver as i also do some gaming, so the rendering is back for me... Ryan Anthony
wildfisher2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm afraid upgrading to PD 11 has been a pretty awful experience, this is just the latest.

So, should I uninstall my current driver in windows first and start the install using the windows VGA driver? Or is it safe to install 301.42 while using my current version - 304.87
James1
[Post New]
Hi,
To risey I reverted to the old 301.42 driver cause of the "CUDA' issues or rendering every adjustment made to timeline...it wasn't the issue in this original post...but that being said...I have rendered full featured video to Blu ray and standard DVD in a fraction of the time other editors...so I am quite satisfied..when Nvideo (which has numerous reports for the cuda driver) fixes the CUDA driver I will update ...but until then 301.42 does fine.

[Post New]
risey;
What makes you think that Cyberlink and Nvidia are not BOTH aware and working on it?

wildfisher2;
Quote: 16MB memory, Geforce 660 Ti

Do you mean 16GB memory? Please post your dxdiag.
Since we are not sure what the full system specs are for your system, I, for one, can not recommend the correct driver.

The previous WHQL driver for the Geforce 660 Ti was indeed 306.23, and NOT 301.42. That is the version I would try. You might even have to rollback to WHQL 305.68 Driver to get a fix for this 660Ti card!!

As far as the clean install, I apologize...the option to do a "clean install" (remove whatever version you have installed currently) is presented on one of the first screens during INSTALLATION!
[Thumb - option.jpg]
 Filename
option.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Clean Install
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
480 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 02. 2012 18:06

wildfisher2 [Avatar]