Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD11 Ultimate Upgrade Comments and Questions
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone. I spent yesterday (6.5 hours) downloading the upgrade from PD10 Ultra to PD11 Ultimate. I already have PD9 on my laptop, and bought the full version of PD10 for my main computer about a year ago, so that I could have PD legally on both computers. When PD11 was released, I went the upgrade route (saved $50.00), since I don't need PD10 on the main computer, if I have PD11, and I have no intention of upgrading my laptop to PD10 from PD9, which does whatever limited video editing I want to do on the laptop.

It took some 6.5 hours to download the six PD11 Ultimate files yesterday - the servers must have been busy because even here in rural Nova Scotia, Canada, we generally have faster download speeds than that.

I rebooted between the installation of each of the six files today, and had no problems, until the last file, the FX file, which I can't see installed in the Control Panel. And when it was installing it kept mentioning a Holiday Pack and had me uninstall the one already installed. When I rebooted, the computer went into Windows Diagnostic mode, which I cancelled out of, cold booted, and the computer came back when I told Windows to start normally.

I launched into PD11 and the first thing I did was check my SS library because the upgrade from PD9 to PD10 forced me to re-register and activate all of my purchased music. I was pleased to see that didn't happen this time, upgrading from PD10 to PD11, although an SS library update did report finishing with errors. Then I went to PD11 info screen to check it out and when I closed that screen and tried to close PD11, the dreaded "Program Not Responding" error appeared. I closed, rebooted, and all was well again.

I note that the upgrade from PD10 to PD11 did NOT remove PD10. It is still showing as installed in the Windows Control Panel, and it launches quite nicely. Seems to work fine. Since it is essentially a useless program to me now, just taking up virus scan time and backup space and time, does anyone know if I will "sideswipe" PD11 Ultimate if I uninstall the PD10 Ultra program and its content packs?

I also went about producing in all of the various PRODUCE profiles in PD11. I only received notice to activate for mpeg2 and h.264. I seem to recall with PD9 and PD10 being notified to activate more than two modules. Did I miss something?

I haven't spent any time with PD11 Ultimate yet, just having finished installing it an hour ago, but it looks nice and WELL WORTH the $79.95 to upgrade, particularly if the promised speed improvements materialize on my computer.

Just my feedback and my questions for today. Have a great one and thanks for your comments/answers.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi phil, yes I also had to activate production of mpeg2 and h.264. So thats confirmed.
I then tested the various Burn disk to folder options and Burning BluRay called for an activation.

I don't have a BD burner right now but might want to get one later.

Program seems more polished than PD9/PD10 and GUI much more professional.

Has ability to edit and display 50/60 fps footage properly on the timeline now, GREAT.

Patrick
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
PatC: Thanks for the hint. I do have a BD burner. Use it for my HD video. You were right. It wanted the Burn to BD activated, so that makes three activations that are required: PRODUCE, .mpeg2, h.264, and CREATE DISC, burn to BD.

I have had a private message informing me that I should be able to remove PD10 without impacting PD11. I did move all of my personalized stuff out of the MyDocuments\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\10.0 folder (titles, DZ stuff, and other junk) to corresponding folders in the 11.0 folder.

Tomorrow or Saturday, I will Create a Restore Point, and then do a full partition backup. After that is done, I will uninstall PD10 and its content packs and let you all know how it went; i.e., whether it "sideswipes" the PD11 install. If so, I can "undo" and ponder a solution to the situation., with the help of my friends here in the forum.

Yes, I do like the interface better. So far, comments are pretty positive. Looks like CL has listened to its beta testers and listened to the user community.

Gotta love it when a new version works as intended! Thanks again for your response, Pat. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
garioch7
[Post New]
Hello all. I did Create my System Restore Point and full partition backup and then proceeded to uninstall PD10 Ultra, with PD11 Ultimate installed on my system. I removed PD10 Content Pack II first using RevoUninstaller Pro in moderate mode, warm booted, removed PD10 Content Pack I, using RevoUninstaller Pro in moderate mode, warm booted, and then tried to get Revo to uninstall the main PD10 program. Uninstall failed on an error 1608, returned from the PD10 uninstaller. Program disappeared from both the Control Panel and Revo, but, the program files and folders were all still there. That could be something to do with my computer configuration - they are all unique, so I am not blaming CL.

I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to do a "Forced Uninstall" and that met with success. I don't know how many times Revo has saved my bacon on my two computers when programs get "stuck" in cyberspace when you are trying to uninstall them.

PD11 is working fine, no worse for the wear from what I can tell so far. Perhaps CL has a utility to remove PD10. I am unaware of it. Perhaps you are supposed to start with removing the program first. I went with uninstalling in the reverse order of the installation process.

May I politely and humbly suggest that someone point me, and others, in the right direction; or, perhaps CL should consider creating an uninstall utility for their various versions, which hopefully works better than some uninstall utilities from other vendors, where, when they fail, Revo gets the job done.

So that is my tale. Restore Point and Partition Backup not needed, but I do partitions backups weekly, so it was no imposition. So far, I am very happy by what I have seen of PD11 Ultimate and I am looking forward to getting to know it better.

The only "complaint" that I have so far is that PD11 does not "remember" how far I had stretched out my timeline (I like it in 30 second intervals). I can't find a Preference setting to check "remember my workspace settings for this project." Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could point this poor old fart in the right direction.

Thanks and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
[Post New]
I received e-badly with PD11 offer to upgrade but did not, the value is greater than the official site, see pictures
[Thumb - upgradePD11a.jpg]
 Filename
upgradePD11a.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
561 time(s)
[Thumb - upgradePD11b.jpg]
 Filename
upgradePD11b.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
530 time(s)
[Post New]
Quote: The only "complaint" that I have so far is that PD11 does not "remember" how far I had stretched out my timeline (I like it in 30 second intervals). I can't find a Preference setting to check "remember my workspace settings for this project."

This (along with NOT remembering the THUMBNAIL SIZES and NOT remembering the Timeline Track Height stretches) was reported during BETA testing. They fixed 2 out of the three, at least, eh? I was pleasantly surprised they fixed 2.
Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
My approach:

I purchased the PD11 Ultra upgrade.

Then I uninstalled the PD10 content pack, and uninstalled the PD10 program. All my PD10 projects and files were still there (and they were backed up anyway).

With PD10 gone, I installed the PD11 Ultra upgrade. PD11 works fine.

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Edit: Whoops wrong thread. Sorry.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 23. 2012 01:58

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
midd666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2010 00:15 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Installation successful. I have the PD11 ultra.
I have installed it on my new second drive, including travel pack, premium content etc, but I'm not sure if they have installed. Where should the travel pack etc. appear in the program?

Thanks Darren

James Stoner [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2011 09:53 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
previewing a project after upgrading from PD 10 to PD 11 viewing this project it appears to skip either Pictures, Transitions, or PIP. It seems to create the project correctly.

This project was created in PD 10 and updated to PD 11. I sent this issue to support.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Darren -

This post in the DZ forum should help http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/118203733.page#118212912

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
midd666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2010 00:15 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, much appreciated.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I'm loving the new stabilizer, much better, makes my pans smoother. Color control in PD (not ColorDirector) is also better. Now, about those idiotic page-turn transitions... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
John Moura [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 27, 2012 18:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
James - - I just upgraded from PD 10 to 11 and have the same preview skipping problem at any resolution above "High Preview Resolution". Have you found a solution?