Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3D Depth default
Man Khan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2011 05:31 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
IN PDVD12 in 3D settings, there is "3D Scene Depth" slider. If i move it right or left from its default position, how can i bring it back exactly[u] to its default position?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: IN PDVD12 in 3D settings, there is "3D Scene Depth" slider. If i move it right or left from its default position, how can i bring it back exactly[u] to its default position?

Why is this a problem for you? Just try moving it back to the center. Since there is no "button" to do that, you would probably have to completely uninstall PowerDVD 12 incluing all the registry entires and then reinstall if you can and then there would sttill be no guarantee.

I'm sure the option is there because some videos look better with more or less depth and with different hardware. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Man Khan [Avatar]
[Post New]
All 3D BDs movies react differently on this 3D slider as even a slightest change towards right or left brings change to convergence and depth, etc. There should be middle point marked by PDVD team so that user can always have choice to bring it to that mark (default) easily, like it is done in TMT. If there is no mark, how can you bring it 100% in the middle by yourself. No, not possible.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Again, the adjustment is there for you to adjust for best results for your eyesight, your DVD and your display equipment. Once you have it adjusted for what is good for those, then there is no need to go back to "center" to start all over again.

What is TMT?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2012 06:43

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Blu-ray 3d movies are not meant to use the slider. The depth and convergence option should be blanked out when watching 3d blu-rays. Otherwise it totally screws up the picture.

I agree with Man Khan, I've experienced this same problem. It should be greyed out or have a reset button if needed. This needs to be addressed i think.
Man Khan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Manoroid, this is what i was trying to say exactly. I moved it by mistake and it affects 3D BD playback even if you move slider right or left even slightly. There should be a reset. Thank you.
Denethor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2013 21:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Know this topic is a little dated, but I ran into exactly the same issue while running a trial of PowerDVD12 today. The 3D Depth slider changes two completely different things depending on the source.

When viewing 2D video being converted to 3D, it does the virtual depth of the 3D effect. When viewing an actual 3D source, though, it appears to adjust the alignment of the left and right channels (convergence?).

The problem is that the settings aren't saved independently. So, if you play a 2D video and tone down the 3D effect to 20, the next time you play an actual 3D video it will be a mess because the alignment of the left and right channels will be completely messed up.

The setting is stored as a numeric value in the Windows registry between 0 to 255 with the default being 128. So if you go in and set the decimal value back to 128 (with PowerDVD closed), it will put it back the way it should be when viewing 3D sources the next time it is run.

Obviously, making changes to the registry can cause problems, so proceed at your own risk.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\PowerDVD12\UI_ThreeDimensionDepth

Attached is also a REG file that I exported that can be used to reimport the key with the 128 value rather than needing to manually edit it whenever it needs reset for actual 3D sources.

I can understand the need for both of these settings, but they really should be stored separately and not impact one another - even if the same slider is used to change both depending on the source format.
 Filename
PowerDVD12_3D_depth_reset.reg
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDVD12_3D_depth_reset.reg
 Filesize
262 bytes
 Downloaded:
495 time(s)
Man Khan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Denethor. Great job, if it works. Thank you and I hope PDVD team should open their eyes towards such minor but important changes to their software by simply putting their reset.
Heiermachen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 13, 2013 06:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks from me too, Denethor. I was struggling with this slider too because it messed up 3D BD. I was looking at the edges of the screen to make sure the left and right image overlapped completely (neutral position), but that's a hell of a job.

And yes, these kind of minor changes are important for ease-of-use.
David99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2012 16:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had this same issue with PowerDVD 13 when I fiddled with the setting for 3D Bluray playback. I tried changing the registry key as per advice (except following the PowerDVD13 reg path but it did not work for me.

I also found it impossible to get the whole picture into proper focus moving the slider. I found I could get the foreground right or the background right but not both.

What I found (by accident) did work was to change the 3D Display type which automatically reset the slider and the picture was perfect again.

This is a crazy situation and hopefully it will get corrected at some point.