Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best way to create HD DVD from Sony Handycam
witchseason [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2012 07:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all

I'm new to PowerDirector, having used Womble for a few years, but pleased with what I've found so far. However I have a question & I hope someone can help.

I have recently bought a new Sony Handycam that produces HD video in .MTS format at 1920x1080 resolution, and I'd like to transfer my recorded video to DVD to watch on my standard HDTV. I've tried importing the video files directly from the camera into PD but the resulting DVD is choppy and has horizontal bars - something to do with interlacing I believe. I've also tried converting the video files before importing into PD (using Aimersoft) but the default HD resolution for the converted files is 1280x720 which seems quite a drop in quality from the original. I can force a convert to the same resolution as the originals but this takes ages and the resulting files are much larger.

I can use the supplied Sony software to import the videos directly from the camera to my PC (and convert them to non-interlaced in the process) but it's a horrible app and I'd rather not install it if I can help it.

So my question is - what is the best (and/or quickest)procedure for creating high quality DVDs from interlaced 1920x1080 .MTS originals?

TVMIA

Jerry
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps some of the issues are related to your computer - perhaps.

Please provide this information (dxdiag.exe) "Part B"

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Have you updated you video card/chip drivers lately fom the manufacturer or from Intel. Don't trust Windows to be correct.

Have you checked for updates to Power Director? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
witchseason [Avatar]
[Post New]
Didn't think this was necessary since I'm asking for advice, not reporting an issue. However:
- Dell XPS 1645, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 1GB
- Win 7 Home 64-bit
- Latest build of PD10 with update released last weekend
- Latest video drivers installed
- Latest K-Lite codec pack installed (32 and 64 bit)
- No antivirus apart from Win Defender
- Sony .MTS video as source
- Womble MPEG Editor and Aimersoft converter also installed
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
If you are not willing to read my entire response and refuse to answer the questions, why should I bother to suggest possible solutions? Why did you even post?

Did you realize that I posted a link for you to run DXDIAG.EXE on your computer and post the results. ? You didn't do that.
You didn't answer anythng about your choice of media or if you can see the problem on your computer.

In the suggestions I made was the solution to your problem.

Sorry if I offended you. See if someone else has other suggestions -- goodbye_. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
witchseason [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dear oh dear, a slightly extreme response from you, stevek? Sorry if I annoyed you, but...
What question(s) did I 'refuse to answer'? I'm at work and don't have access to my PC right now so I can't run any diagnostics - I posted what information I could recall.
As for 'choice of media', I haven't gotten as far as creating a disk yet. Similarly I don't have a 'problem' (I was only asking for advice) so I can't 'see it' on my computer - and don't understand how the solution was in your suggestions.
You haven't offended *me* and I fail to see what I did to offend *you*. To paraphrase your rather unnecessarily rude response, did you read my entire post?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2012 09:25

stevek
[Post New]
I'm not going to get into a argument with you. You could have waited until you had the information.

In your first post, you said "importing the video files directly from the camera into PD but the resulting DVD is choppy and has horizontal bars"

Did you not mean that or is there a language issue. .
witchseason [Avatar]
[Post New]
You're correct, and I apologise (and I'm not trolling for a fight). I *did* create a DVD (using Verbatim DVD-RW I think) and that's when I noticed that something wasn't right.

But my post to this forum was about importing and/or converting source video from my camera - *that* was (is?) where I needed help.

I assume that, having got the source into my PD project in the right format, burning the actual disk would be fairly easy.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry:

I too own a Sony Handycam and I use Sony PlayMemories Home to import the .mts files into my computer. They become .mt2s files during import. You can also just copy them directly if you plug your Handycam into your computer because the computer will just see your camera stick or drive as another drive. I then import the files, edit in PD10, and burn to Blu-ray. I get great results.

Your camera should also have an option to record at lower resolutions and 4:3 versus 16:9 aspect ratio. Normally DVDs are used with 4:3 (720 x 480) resolution files. You can burn a DVD in AVCHD format to keep the higher HD resolution, but your play time will be very short as true HD files are about six times larger. Also AVCHD DVDs can only be read on a BD player.

The problem you are having with horizontal bars sounds to me like you are editing 16:9 video in 4:3 aspect ratio. Personally, I would invest in some BD disks and burn as close to the original recorded format as possible for best results.

Hope this is of some help. Have a great day, Jerry.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
witchseason [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Phil, that's very helpful. I clearly need to know a bit more background info before I go much further!

One thing though - I don't think you need to use PlayMemories to convert from MTS to MT2S, from what I understand they are identical and the only difference is the extension!

Cheers

J.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry: You are quite correct that you don't need to use PlayMemories Home or PMB to convert .mts files to .mt2s. PlayMemories Home just does that of its own accord and I haven't bypassed it - importing directly from the camcorder hard drive.

From what I can gather, you are right that there isn't any real substantive difference between .mts and .mt2s files.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1097703/difference-between-mts-and-m2ts-files

Happy editing. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know the only way to get HD video on a DVD is to use AVCHD on a DVD. This also means it will only play in certain Blueray players or a PC and will only hold around 20 minutes of HD video.

A normal DVD is only Standard definition not High Definition. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
kelly456 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 07, 2013 11:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
You can lear how to burn sony handycam video to dvd here:

http://handycam-to-mac.over-blog.com/best-way-to-create-dvd-from-sony-handycam

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2013 11:27

stevek
[Post New]
Quote: You can lear how to burn sony handycam video to dvd here:

Kelly, did you look at that reference? It talks about burning to a DVD with a MAC.

You also posted to a thread that is over a year old so the original poster probably doesn't need that information anymore. The informaation already given about an AVCHD or blu ray disc is correct.

Did you have anything new to add to the conversation? .
kelly456 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 07, 2013 11:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: You can lear how to burn sony handycam video to dvd here:

Kelly, did you look at that reference? It talks about burning to a DVD with a MAC.

You also posted to a thread that is over a year old so the original poster probably doesn't need that information anymore. The informaation already given about an AVCHD or blu ray disc is correct.

Did you have anything new to add to the conversation?

Ok, I just want to really help the users who have questions and hope my post can do some help. If someone also has new questions, they can post any reply.