Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector for capturing HDV and then burning DVD and BD from PC?
metazone21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2012 00:15 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
1) Is CyberLink PowerDirector able to capture the HDV video from my Canon HV20 camera without loss – no loss when compared to the compressed video and audio that is now on the miniDV tape (HDV format = MPEG-2 25 Mbps for the video)? What format would I save it as – e.g. when I used HDVSplit, it saved it as an m2t file which is a container format (and I didn’t know what the format of the video and audio were in that m2t container). What settings would I use?

2) Can PowerDirector create a DVD (std def) - using my computer’s DVD burner – that will play in any stand-alone DVD player?

3) How about if I had a Blu-Ray burner attached to my PC – would it allow me to create a Blu-Ray Disk - using my computer’s Blu-Ray burner – that will play in any stand-alone Blu-Ray player?

4) Given that my miniDV HDV camera (Canon HV20) already took the sensor input and has the video and audio stored in a digital format on the miniDv media, why do I have to ‘capture’ the video/audio over a firewire port? Given that we put digital files on tape for computer backups and read from the tape later on, why can’t this be done with the digital files on the miniDV tapes – a device that copies the files from the miniDV tape to the PC’s hard drive without having to do a ‘capture’?

4a) If I used a hard/flash-drive camcorder instead of a miniDV camcorder, I wouldn’t have to ‘capture’ the video onto my computer, correct? I would just copy the file from the hard/flash-drive camcorder to my PC and then can use PowerDirector to put it into a format more appropriate for editing?
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
That would depend on various factors, the power of your computer CPU, how much memory installed, what version of Power Director you have.

Power Director 10 Ultra on a powerful desktop computer can do all you mentioned. But the deluxe version has limitations.
My recommendations ar i5-i7 processor and 6Gb memory on a windows 7 64Bit machine.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Q1) I personally would stay with my favorite capture program of all time, HDVSplit. The fact that it divides the files by timecode is invaluable, and the quality is stunning (from my HV30).
Q2) Yes
Q3) Yes
Q4) It's tape - "capture" is the term used, I'm not sure where you are going here, you have tape, you have to run the tape in the camera, and capture what's on it, in this case via firewire. It is what it is.
Q4a) Flash/hard drive cameras are easy, as you just either remove the sd card and pop it in your reader slot, or attach the camera itself via usb. This is a transfer, as opposed to a capture.
NOTE: You asked---"use PowerDirector to put it into a format more appropriate for editing?".
I reply---Unless you are lacking computer power, why would you want to alter the file-type of the videos? Use them as they are to retain max quality, then when exporting, render to whatever file-type is most suited to your display/viewing needs.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 19. 2012 11:20

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Given that we put digital files on tape for computer backups and read from the tape later on, why can’t this be done with the digital files on the miniDV tapes

Even when you read back off of a tape drive, the computer still has to read the information in order. It is not saved as a file like on a hard disc or memory card. When you play the video, even on the camera, it is reading back the tape as it plays. In short, it really is acting just like those old back up tape drives.

You may find a program that can 'dub' the tape at high speed, but I have never seen one. I wish they would come out with a camera that would store an MPEG 2 file just like the AVCHD cameras. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You may find a program that can 'dub' the tape at high speed, but I have never seen one. I wish they would come out with a camera that would store an MPEG 2 file just like the AVCHD cameras.

There is at least one that records to a memory stick or SD/SDHC. Standard definition.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7194282&CatId=4450

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2012 10:14

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

metazone21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2012 00:15 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, everyone, for the replies -- appreciate it.