Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No sound with MOV files on the timeline.
Mozartghost1791 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Elkin, NC Joined: Jul 22, 2012 17:21 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
When I click on an MOV file in the media library to watch it in the preview window, it will play with audio as it was originally recorded. But if I drag it to the timeline (to make a movie), the video is only shown in the video track, with no audio track. When I play back what's in the timeline, there is no sound.

I used to put the MOV files in my default OS Windows Live Movie maker and export it as a WMV to get around this problem.
When I drug the WMV to the timeline it was shown taking up both the video and the audio track and the audio played just fine.

Aside from being tired of doing this every time I want to make a movie, W.L. Movie Maker is not working on my computer any more.
Power Director 9 still works except for what I said, and it has had this problem before the problem with Movie Maker, so I don't think they are related.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would be very grateful for any help.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the forum,
please see the link I provided, and give us PART A, and PART B, part b should be as an attachment.
These items will assist us in helping you.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Mozartghost1791,

Try updating your Quicktime Player.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Powerdirector uses the codec in Quicktime for MOV files.

A work around would be to extract the Audio in the Media Library and use the WAV audio in the timeline.
Right click in media library > Extract Audio.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Mozartghost1791 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I downloaded one of the free upgrades, which seemed to help. Now if I put MOV files in my library it shows a little yellow piece of film and if I only click it once to drag it to the timeline, it still has sound.
However, if I double click it, the little piece of film turns green and this seems to somehow delete the sound. Even if I remove the clip from my library and re-import it, it still has the green film and no sound.
I have found a work-around, however: by re naming the clip in my file explorer, I can then import this and the film is yellow again. And it has sound.
If anyone knows how to turn the green film back to yellow film within the program, I would appreciate it.
Mozartghost1791 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, I meant to write "upgraded version of Power Director 9" how I wrote that was ambiguous.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I downloaded one of the free upgrades, which seemed to help. Now if I put MOV files in my library it shows a little yellow piece of film and if I only click it once to drag it to the timeline, it still has sound.
However, if I double click it, the little piece of film turns green and this seems to somehow delete the sound. Even if I remove the clip from my library and re-import it, it still has the green film and no sound.
I have found a work-around, however: by re naming the clip in my file explorer, I can then import this and the film is yellow again. And it has sound.
If anyone knows how to turn the green film back to yellow film within the program, I would appreciate it.

You would have to give a screen shot for us to know what you are taking about.

When I put a MOV video in my Powerdirector 9 Ultra, I can drag it to the timeline. If I double click the video in the media library, it opens the Big Media Viewer.

Are you perhaps speaking of SVRT information?
Are you using Shadow files?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 23. 2012 22:23

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Mozartghost1791 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't know... I think I remember seeing a control for the shadow file. SVRT sounds more familiar.
angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry, I hope all is well with you.
I have PD 16 on my pc.
When I import a quicktime movie, the sound does not come over.
Have you given instuctions here for people who only own a mac?
Or am I confused? Thanks. Angela
angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl, Long time no talk! I hope all is well with you.
I have Power2Go subscription.
I got a new computer and must reinstall when Cyberlink
sends me link. It really stinks that I have to "wait" for them to send me a link
when I purchased it already....)
But on another note....
will PD 16 convert a quicktime to mp4?
Presently, the sound track will NOT come over to PD
16 when I import the quicktime move that we filmed in the studio.
I was told I can use Handbrake to convert it, but I am affraid to download Handbrake.
Thanks.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Barry, I hope all is well with you.
I have PD 16 on my pc.
When I import a quicktime movie, the sound does not come over.
Have you given instuctions here for people who only own a mac?
Or am I confused? Thanks. Angela
Hello, lovely Angela. I missed your post. Have you made any progress? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
angela123
[Post New]
Hello, lovely Angela. I missed your post. Have you made any progress?

Hi Barry, I am hoping there is a way to edit quicktime movies without first having to use Handbrake
to convert them. I think I have the Power2Go program, does that work?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to install an apple quicktime component to get the codec to edit the mov files not suggested by some users.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quicktime "lite" without the player should be sufficient and no security issues.
I have PD 14 and I forgot I can make "lossless" with it, though only in 4:2:0, not 4:2:2, but still I forgot, and maybe useful.
So anyway...I made a MOV and it played with audio. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
angela123
[Post New]
Thanks for trying to help me.
I don't know what "apple quicktime components are" or "quicken lite" but will
Power2Go convert the file to mp? Or, easier to just use handbrake?
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Just for the heck of it, did you try to convert the file in PowerDirector?
If yes, what was the result?
Also, what version of Power2Go are you using? It looks like 13 can convert but I'll have to double check which one I have. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
angela123
[Post New]
Quote Just for the heck of it, did you try to convert the file in PowerDirector?
If yes, what was the result?
Also, what version of Power2Go are you using? It looks like 13 can convert but I'll have to double check which one I have.

I have PD 16. Where is the tool to convert a file in the program? I didn't know it had one. All I know is that when I brought in the quicktime movie, there was no soundtrack. Thanks. Angela
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Just place the file in a time line and see if you can render to a different format that includes the audio.
Do you have a brief clip you can attach here? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have PD 16. Where is the tool to convert a file in the program? I didn't know it had one. All I know is that when I brought in the quicktime movie, there was no soundtrack. Thanks. Angela

The information for editing mov files in PD16 has already been given long ago in this thread. Using the free old version of Power2Go 11; Go to Media Converter/Video to Mobile Device/ Browse and do Drag n Drop of the files you want to convert/ Hit Next and follow the instructions and get a low resolution mp4 file from it suitable for a low price cell phone. This will not work if Apple Quicktime is not installed.

Mov files can be edited directly in PD16 only if the Apple Quicktime in the 3rd post by Carl312 of this thread is installed on your pc. It is possible that this won’t work on your pc because you have the Deluxe instead of the Ultra or Ultimate version of PD16. I believe that this may be the reason neither user you addressed wants to give you a definite answer. It may be better for you to either start a New Topic post or contact Cyberlink support for the best answer. The answer you get may or not be the same if you are unwilling to install Apple Quicktime.
angela123
[Post New]

The information for editing mov files in PD16 has already been given long ago in this thread. Using the free old version of Power2Go 11; Go to Media Converter/Video to Mobile Device/ Browse and do Drag n Drop of the files you want to convert/ Hit Next and follow the instructions and get a low resolution mp4 file from it suitable for a low price cell phone. This will not work if Apple Quicktime is not installed.

Mov files can be edited directly in PD16 only if the Apple Quicktime in the 3rd post by Carl312 of this thread is installed on your pc. It is possible that this won’t work on your pc because you have the Deluxe instead of the Ultra or Ultimate version of PD16. I believe that this may be the reason neither user you addressed wants to give you a definite answer. It may be better for you to either start a New Topic post or contact Cyberlink support for the best answer. The answer you get may or not be the same if you are unwilling to install Apple Quicktime.

ok thanks.