Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 10 crashes after dragging video to timeline.
VaMa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2012 15:56 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have problem with PowerDirector 10 Ultra 10.0.0.1703. After dragging AVCHD video from media room (created by camera Panasonic DMC-FZ150, 1920x1080p, 50 fps, 28 Mbps, profile High@L4.2) to timeline, PD10 works about 3 seconds and then falls down with message PDR10.exe has stopped working. There is no problem with file about 20 MB, but larger video file with 150 MB crashes. With other formats (AVCHD 1080i, 720p) PD10 works correctly and there is no limit of the file size. I tried to convert this problematic video file *.mts using Format Factory to *.MKV (with the same parametres:1920x1080p, 50 fps, 28 Mbps, only profile was changed to High@L5.0) and work with it in PD10. Everything was OK. Here are some informations from CrashRpt.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
-<CrashInformation VERSION="1.0"><SR Value="VDE120314-03"/><ProductName Value="PowerDirector"/><AppName Value="PDR10.exe"/><AppVersion Value="10.0.0.1703"/><VersionName Value="10.0"/><VersionType Value="Ultra"/><Is64BitOS Value="0"/><OSName Value="Windows Vista (TM) Business Build 6002 Service Pack 2"/><GDICount Value="1190"/><VMSize Value="918 MB"/><VGAName Value="NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra" DriverVersion="8.17.13.0142"/><ModName Value="CLEdtDemuxer.ax"/><ModVersion Value="1.2.20.4529"/><ExceptionCode Value="0xC0000094"/><Offset Value="0x000576AB"/><SendLogUrl Value="http://boomerang.cyberlink.com/prog/util/boomerang/sendlog.jsp"/></CrashInformation>

Have you anybody the same problem? Did you find solution to this?
Thank you.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Attach a dxdiag.txt to a post as a text file. Also, if you can, attach a short clip from the camera for others to test, 5 seconds will do. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
VaMa [Avatar]
[Post New]
DxDiag.txt and video sample are attached. Thank you.
 Filename
00020.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
Video sample
 Filesize
22026 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
320 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag.txt
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
337 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi VaMa -

Downloaded your clip & dropped it in the timeline. It played fine in Full HD preview resolution... repeated that 20 times, to try to replicate your suggestion about size making a difference. No problems here. Not even a judder.

My PC is slightly better equipped... i7 920, 8GB RAM, GTX 260, but I couldn't see anything glaring in your DxDiag that would cause a crash simply by inserting a clip in the timeline.

Perhaps someone else can spot something I've missed.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2012 06:34

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I also tested it and had no problems with it.

The only thing that caught my attention is that when you play it with windows media player the screen size is at 720x480 but the video is actually 1920x1080.

You could try a tool to fix a any broken codec in your registry that could cause the problem.

Link:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec_Tweak_Tool.htm
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I can't see anything in the dxdiag that lis an obvious problem. Do you have QuickTime installed? That may, or may not, help. I would also try to use an MTS file from a different camera if you have one available just to eliminate a comparability issue with the camera codec and you computer.

I will test the clip later. My internet connection is moving at a crawl right now. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
VaMa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to everybody.
The attached video was uploaded to specify using format. I have no problem with it too, because it is small file. As I wrote, I haven't problem with small video file, but with larger size - more than about 100 MB.
When I tried to edit the problematic video for the first time, I had installed QuickTime. After this, I uninstall QT, but the result was the same - crashing.
The main question for me is: why PD10 works well with small file and why not with larger video, where I use the same video format.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I just downloaded your video and dragged into PD10 and had no problems (well I am on NTSC) format not Pal...but had no issues except the pal vs NTSC warning. As tony did I inserted 4 copies and had no issues.
But I read your Dxdiag.txt and your memory3096 MB is borderline for Hi def...and hard drive free space is small for video editing in Hi-Def.
These are my own conclusions and observations. video editing requires a lot of Memory resources available for cache and background processing.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
James Dotson
[Post New]
If it is only with larger files I would also agree that you are running out of memory. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
These are only my observations, but I think that you are almost out of disk space. Some say this doesn't matter, I think it does!!:
------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 7.6 GB
Total Space: 49.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Hitachi HDT725040VLA360

Drive: D:
Free Space: 13.2 GB
Total Space: 331.7 GB
VaMa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
I thing, that low disc space isn´t my problem:
-I am working on E: drive, where is more than 1 TB free space and ShadowEditFiles are generated here too
-when I put more small videos on the timeline (their total size is > 150 MB) PD10 works corectly without crash
-when I edited full HD video (1920x1080p, 50 fps, 28 Mbps) with size greater than 0,75 GB, everything was OK too.
But this video was *.mkv format (AVC stream in Matroska container)
-problematic behaviour remains with larger full HD video *.mts after dragging to the timeline. This is following with
crash of PD 10 after about 2 sec. - nothing can be calculated in a short time.
It's enigma for me, what is wrong.
[Post New]
What drive is your OS installed on? That drive need 20% free space minimum, JUST FOR THE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM TEMPORARY PROCESSES...even more for trancoding processes, regardless of where you are loading files from.

I downloaded your MTS file and dropped it into the timeline without issues.

If you have shadow-edit files turned on, make sure they have generated COMPLETELY (little icon on file will be GREEN) before proceeding.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2012 12:59

VaMa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I tried to change something in PD10 settings and I found answer for the 1-st question: the PD10 crashes were caused by continuous thumbnails. I switched off this option (Settings -> Editing -> Enable continuous thumbnails on video clips for easy scene recognition) and I worked normally with 0,5 GB video file.
But with this situation becomes the 2-nd question:
-what SW part of the PD10 processes thumbnails and why is not able to calculate them for larger file- what is limitation
in this work, does exist any hidden setting for this?
Bye, Bye
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
VaMa -

Good investigating & good choice!

PD is already putting a load on your PC. Using continuous thumbnails just adds to the load a little. Every time you expand the timeline, PD has to regenerate those thumbs.

That fits in with Fred's advice about space on the C drive being available for temporary processes.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!