Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Program keeps crashing - Any tips for re-installing
Videogalnc [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Carolina Joined: Nov 29, 2011 19:01 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
Is it pretty straight forward to uninstall and reinstall Power Director 10? My program still freezes & crashes a good bit so I thought before I take the time to try editing and burning these dance recitals, I would start with a "freshly installed" program. Anything I need to know or watch out for? Is there a way I can save the few custom menus I've made?
Thanking you in advance for any advice.

Barb
Barb

HP h8-1080t i7CPU 950@3.07 GHZ
10GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce-550Ti
1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
If you run the PD installer, it will ask if you want to uninstall the existing program.

I sure hope this helps you out. People have had mixed results with re-installations: sometimes they fix a problem, sometimes they don't. Jerry Schwartz
Videogalnc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hopefully, if I do reinstall I won't get any additional issues to deal with Barb

1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barb,
Don't forget to 'Run as Administrator"....!!!
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I've written the following information up many times on the forum and it is the method I use.

1. I have WinRAR, a 30+ day version is available free I believe.
2. I place the PD installer into WinRAR and "unpack" the component parts of the installer.
3. I then select "setup.exe" from the newly created folder and install PD.

The advantage of this method for me is,
a) I don't have any multiple corrupt files circulating in the temp directory.
b) The folder asis can be stored onto a disc and is less likely/wont have an unpacking problem (I used to get that with installer packages).

Dafydd
Videogalnc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd, Sounds more complicated but I'll look into that. I haven't done anything yet still using as is. Barb

1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe