Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Planet of the Apes 1968 Blu Ray
gbesta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2012 17:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Is anyone else having issues with this disc? It just displays the red fox screen about updating your player.

Already updated to the latest patch, but still the same.

Already got a support ticket logged, although I don't know how much good it will do. The requests from them seem random and unrelated.

It was from the five film pack on Amazon UK.
gbesta [Avatar]
[Post New]
I managed to get around the issue by installing AnyDVD trial. It appears to be an issue with the BD+ protection.

My support ticket has not been replied to in a week, all info has been provided, but for some reason no acknowledgement of the issue.

Are these things common with PowerDVD? If so do they normally get patched fairly quickly?

I am trying to work out if I am better off giving my money to AnyDVD to remove the protection and stick with PowerDVD 12, or if I am better off waiting for PowerDVD to patch and keep updating when they drop support.

All this copy protection stuff is a headache. I only had a few Blu Rays with powerdvd 9, and every time I purchased a disc I needed to update. Now with 12 I can't even play some discs.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I agree that the copyright protection sure can be a headache. I see the subject pop up in the forum from time to time depending on the specific movie. Avatar comes to mind as well as the Star Wars release to name a couple. There are many titles that users have had trouble with in the past.

I use AnyDVD HD and have a lifetime license and it eliminates the headaches. They release frequent updates and I have never had a problem playing back any discs.

Patches for Power DVD are released to correct copyright issues, but the response may not be quick enough especially if you own the movie and want to watch it now.

But if you are running the latest patch of PowerDVD and the firmware for your hardware player ( sometimes the culprit) is the latest, and you still can't playback the disc then AnyDVD HD is a good reliable option.

Just offering my personal experience from a user of the software.

Cap'n Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
gbesta [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response. I think I will go with AnyDVD if it gets rid of the protection issues completely.

Support came back to me today and acknowledged the issue is with certain Fox Blu Rays released bewteen 2008 and 2009, and that a coming patch in August should resolve it.

AnyDVD lifetime license here I come.
LordGarth [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 10, 2012 19:50 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I too am having a problem. Funny thing is, my new computercame with PowerDVD10 and it played on that version, but when I upgraded, red screen of death and error message displayed: bd-j error code 0003.
LordGarth [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just downloaded WinDVD trial. Played great. If they don't fix it soon, looks like I will change prefered player. I still think it is funny that PowerDVD 10 played these titles fine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 11. 2012 01:17

LordGarth [Avatar]
[Post New]
Gets better and better. Just got an answer to my service ticket which stated this was an issue with 20th Century Fox and if I wanted it resolved, I should contact Fox. Still find it funny that there was no issue when using the OEM version of PowerDVD 10. Some upgrade.
[Post New]
PowerDVD 12 is the worst software currently on the market for blu-ray playback in terms of support. It also has problems with cropping .mkv files when played in full screen. Cyberlink have known about the issue for months and have not done a thing. See here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22454.page

The last update was over 8 weeks ago. Once they have your money then that's it, they don't care.
I've decided not to upgrade to the next version and will switch to a better player (probably TMT). I have upgraded every time from v6 due to the cost being a little cheaper to upgrade. But will bite the bullet and pay full price for a better experience.

As to the people who say to use AnyDVD HD, that is not really an answer. You shouldn't have to buy another (more expensive) program to get a blu ray player to actually play discs. Imagine if that was the case with stand alone players- oh, you'll have to buy another (more expensive) box to get it to work.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 12. 2012 05:40

Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Gen 3, Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz, Thermalright Silver Arrow, 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD, 4X Samsung F3 HDD, Samsung Blu ray, Antec DF-85