Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Anyone else having issues playing John Carter 3D Blu-ray??
ethanwa79 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2012 17:56 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have the John Carter 3D Blu-ray disc and I'm having a LOT of issues getting it to play in Windows Media Center 7 (with 3D turned on OR off, doesn't matter which). It just won't get past the initial loading screen of previews. It's just a black screen after that.

If I try to skip to a different chapter it shows the first shot of the picture on the screen but then just freezes on that. Every chapter does the same thing.

I can play the 2D Blu-ray version just fine it seems though. This is only an issue with the 3D version as far as I can tell.

Can anyone else please confirm? I have been able to get other 3D movies to work.

intvsteve [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2012 22:28 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Exactly the same problem here. Have the latest firmware for blu ray player, latest PowerDVD 12, et. Al. 2d plays fine for me, too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 17. 2012 15:25

intvsteve
Man Khan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2011 05:31 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
First open PDVD12 then click 3D to make it off (if it is on), now choose the disk to play and it shall start playing in 2D, when you reach menu, chose PLAY to start movie, when movie starts just click 3D again to bring it to 3D. This is how I was able to play this movie in 3D.
intvsteve [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sadly, that did not work for me. Never could get the movie to be visible. It seems to think it's playing, but screen is black and no sound. Happens in cinema or classic mode. Once got as far as the menu to choose 'Play' but only part of that showed up.

In my case, the system is running using Intel's integrated graphics (HD3000) on an i5. intvsteve
Man Khan [Avatar]
[Post New]
try ripping your disk to the hard disk in iso form using anydvd HD and then play iso using virtual clone drive and it should work then.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
thanks for your reports, we can reproduce the issue on some platforms and investigate the issue.

greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
intvsteve [Avatar]
[Post New]
I guess that's "good" news.... Of course now the pestering for e.t.a. for fix must begin. intvsteve
intvsteve [Avatar]
[Post New]
FWIW, here is more info on the system... I tried to send via a support ticket, but keep getting "Please only enter plain text" error. Not sure if it's linebreaks or colons or what that are the problem there.

CPU: Intel i5 2405S processor
Video: Integrated Intel HD3000 graphics on the CPU.
Blu-Ray: Samsung SH-BL123L
Motherboard: Intel DH67GDB3 LGA 1155
Audio: Integrated on Motherboard
PowerDVD: Version 12

The drivers for the system are up-to-date (as far as I can tell). I'm running the most current PowerDVD 12 and have the latest firmware for the Blu-Ray drive.
intvsteve
Man Khan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am using powerdvd12 without any update installed. Try this
ethanwa79 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: try ripping your disk to the hard disk in iso form using anydvd HD and then play iso using virtual clone drive and it should work then.

Doesn't work. I rip all my movies to ISO and play them that way. My original post was referring to my ISO rip actually.
intvsteve [Avatar]
[Post New]
To this point, my efforts via the support channel have been infuriating. Over the course of the past few weeks, absolutely nothing useful has come via that channel.

FWIW, I downloaded a competing product (TMT5) to try a trial version. It plays perfectly. I've dumped money into PowerDVD twice now (9->11 and then the 11->12 upgrade to get the 3d upconversion) and am beginning to feel quite bitter about this experience.

Have any long-term users noticed a pattern to the update / patch schedule? This disc has been out 6 weeks. That's an awfully long time to wait to watch a movie after buying it. Especially for my kids and the neighbors. Ever had to deal with a bunch of 7-12 year olds eager to do something? <shudder> intvsteve
ethanwa79 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: To this point, my efforts via the support channel have been infuriating. Over the course of the past few weeks, absolutely nothing useful has come via that channel.

FWIW, I downloaded a competing product (TMT5) to try a trial version. It plays perfectly. I've dumped money into PowerDVD twice now (9->11 and then the 11->12 upgrade to get the 3d upconversion) and am beginning to feel quite bitter about this experience.

Have any long-term users noticed a pattern to the update / patch schedule? This disc has been out 6 weeks. That's an awfully long time to wait to watch a movie after buying it. Especially for my kids and the neighbors. Ever had to deal with a bunch of 7-12 year olds eager to do something? <shudder>

I've already switched to TMT 5 also.

Normal Blu-ray manufactures have firmware patches to fix disc problems out within 7-14 days. Six weeks for PowerDVD is ridiculous for a mainstream movie.
Wyatt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2012 00:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
The trick of being in 2D prior to selecting ENGLISH worked. I reset back to 3D once the movie was playing. This stops the load hang. Cyberlink 10, NVIDIA 580 and ASUS 27 inch 3D VG series
intvsteve [Avatar]
[Post New]
No tricks working here. The Sept. 10 update does NOT fix the issue. This is ridiculous. intvsteve
mike.T [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 17, 2012 05:05 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
I heard that next patch is planned to support John Carter 3D.
intvsteve [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ha ha... Well, exact same problem w/ Avengers 3D, too. It's always 'in the next patch' isn't it? intvsteve