Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why are my videos "dragging" and "pixelated?"
McCullough [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2007 19:19 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using PowerDirector 5 (5.00.1227 Deluxe) for awhile now to put my son's basketball games on DVD with no problem. Lately, no matter what source I use (analog Hi8 Camcorder, digital camcorder, or DVR recording to disk from TV) my final product has places where it's either "dragging" and slow, or "pixelated" and jumping.

Does anyone have any idea why, when this has not been a problem in the past, it's acting up now? The video footage is fine in the preview pane during editing, it's only when it's produced to disk that it has this problem.

I don't know if it matters, but I have a Pentium 4 3.00 GHz processor and 1 GB or RAM.

Thanks for any help.

Susan
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
Have you installed anything else? I installed Avast anti-virus and everything s-l-o-w-e-d to a crawl. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
McCullough [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did install a newer version of real player, but I had the problem before that. I have tried turning absolutely everything off that's not necessary (even though I didn't need to do it before), and I just burned another copy of the same game, so I'll see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Susan
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Susan,
Go through the standard - defrag of your hard drive,
Clean the head of the laser in the writer
Switch off background running software and/or prevent auto updating.
What anti-virus checker and firewall do you operate (rhetorical question no need to answer)- is AV set correctly?
Some Firewall and AV's when updated change the parameters of the settings on your PC.

I think you mentioned that pixelation happens part way through - have you checked that section with the video in the time-line. If you've used a zoom effect it will highlight a pixel issue on a low res image or on a digital zoomed video sequence. Because preview is a small image it doesn't give a full impression of a video played.

Is it possible to view a before and after? Screen shots would be good. remember you can bring a vob file back into PD.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2008 06:48

McCullough [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for the answer. I did everything you suggested and the newest product of the same game was fine. Who's to say which, or maybe all, of the steps helped, but hopefully if someone else runs into this problem in the future they'll find these posts helpful.

Susan
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Kingstree, SC Joined: Jan 24, 2008 18:56 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry but, how do I actually do this? I'm having the same problem as well: Go through the standard - defrag of your hard drive,
What anti-virus checker and firewall do you operate (rhetorical question no need to answer)- is AV set correctly?
Some Firewall and AV's when updated change the parameters of the settings on your PC. Only God Can Judge Me...
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just another thing, I only have this problem when I capture from my DV device. . I inquired Cyberlink on the problem. Ran a Diagnostics. They stated that I need to update my display device and sound capture. My video card is fine. So what's the problem? Only God Can Judge Me...
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sorry but, how do I actually do this? I'm having the same problem as well: Go through the standard - defrag of your hard drive,
Some Firewall and AV's when updated change the parameters of the settings on your PC.

Just another thing, I only have this problem when I capture from my DV device. . I inquired Cyberlink on the problem. Ran a Diagnostics. They stated that I need to update my display device and sound capture. My video card is fine. So what's the problem? Do I need to add more RAM or something? And also, I should always unplug my firewire cable when done with it, right? Only God Can Judge Me...
McCullough [Avatar]
[Post New]
They may want you to make sure you have the latest drivers and/or firmware for your device. If that's the case then go to the manufacturer's website & look under support or downloads to see if you've got the latest versions of everything. I'm not sure about unplugging the firewire, though I always unplug my usb cable when I'm done transferring my files from my digital camcorder.

One thing I would do would be to make sure that virtually all programs, other than the OS and necessary files, are not running when you're working with PowerDirector. I turn off all virus protection, e-mail, internet, everything, and then check through windows task manager to make sure everything is off. It may seem like a bit much, but it really has helped the program to run smoother and I don't have any more dragging video.

Good luck!

Susan
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but how do I found out the manufacturer? Only God Can Judge Me...
McCullough [Avatar]
[Post New]
Go to Control Panel, switch to Classic View if not already set that way (along the left side there is an option), go to the System icon, under the Hardware tab click on Device Manager, a list of your hardware will come up, click the plus sign next to Display Adapters, it should show you the details on your video card. Then just Google search to find the manufacturer's website.

Susan
Ludrick Nerell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Now, once this is done; do I have to re-capture my videos, because the videos that are still saved on my hard drive still dragging. I have a video on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmzBY068Og0...are there anymore tips on my problem? I just need to correct this issue ASAP. Only God Can Judge Me...
McCullough [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think you would probably have to recapture the video. You might try to recapture at a point when the quality was poor the first time just to see if the problem is fixed.

Also, have you tried burning the file you've already captured to a disk just to see if the problem persists?