Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CAN'T REINSTALL POWERDVD 12 ULTRA (attempt to troubleshoot PowerDVD 12 complete failure)
Dennis1951 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 13, 2010 22:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect I should have done some additional troubleshooting before uninstalling PowerDVD12 - which for some reason had stopped working to the point where I couldn't open ANY video files, including standard 2D.
(Previously I had some extensive HDMI handshake issues opening side by side 3D files - but these seemed to be addressed
with a new HDMI cable and all seemed good for a few short days. The only change to my computer was the addition of a
freeware budgeting program which I would assume had nothing to do with the failure of my PowerDVD application.
When PowerDVD started failing, I restored my computer to a point prior to the installation of the budgeting program - but this didn't address the PowerDVD issue.)

Anyway - after uninstall it appears I have no version of PowerDVD software on my computer which would allow a reinstallation.
The original version was PowerDVD 8 (I believe) which was installed by the original builder of the HTPC (loaded from an
LG Blu-Ray burner applications disc. This version was upgraded to PowerDVD 10 with 3D support - then to PowerDVD 12 Ultra. All the files in my download folder are hence upgrades and patches - none appears to be an installer program for the complete application.

I have a 4/15 communication from Cyberlink containing the serial number and application key for the PowerDVD 12 upgrade as well as a subsequent e-mail from Asknet- shops.com for the purchase price of the software.

Any suggestions how I might do a reinstall to see whether the application works again? (I was expecting to remove all the media library features - which previously caused the application to lock-up as it was trying to add new titles to the library.) I tried installing a version of PowerDVD 10 from another LG burner disc (this one for a new HTPC) - but got an
Applications Error trying to do the install.

For what it's worth: TotalMedia Theatre 5 hasn't worked at all on my computer. Every time I try opening a 3D file the computer goes nuts with the screen blanking out continually. I have great difficulty getting an image on the screen long enough to close down the application - then have to reset the resolution so the display's back to a standard 2D mode.

PC info:
Windows 7 operating system
Nvidia GT430 video w 301.24 driver
Anything else needed here?

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

peleus [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 10, 2012 11:53 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry but are you saying that you cannot resinstall PowerDVD? If yes, any error message on this?
Dennis1951 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 13, 2010 22:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Error messages all relate to the issue of not having any kind of installer for PowerDVD on my computer.
(Errors to the effect of requiring an installed version of the application when loading patches or updates - which is
all I seem to have as I noted in my original posting. All my files - labeled like CyberLink.3715(Ultra_Free) or CyberLinkPVD12_upg_to_ultraDVD - appear to be patches or upgrades, not full installers.

When I attempt to install an OEM copy of PowerDVD 10 (provided with an LG burner recently added to my bedroom
HTPC) I get an "Application Error" - no additional info is provided.

What would happen if I tried to install a trial version from the website?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Dennis1951,

please get in contact with out technical support team.
They can assist you.

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan