Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
It's taking FOREVER to encode to mpeg2
Videogalnc [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Carolina Joined: Nov 29, 2011 19:01 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
I started a project and imported via firewire into PD. I saved an mpeg2 file. Later I imported this mpeg2 file back into PD and started editing transitions and also some power tool video corrections. It's 14 mins long and after an hour it still had not encoded to mpeg2. When I tried to go ahead and burn a dvd.... I found out 20% of my editing was not rendered. Question......what is the quickest way to render or if you could step me thru the process of saving edited work as an mpeg2. Should I be importing firewire from camera and save on harddrive then import into PD or import directly into PD? Any tips you can give me would be much appreciated. Tks
Barb Barb

HP h8-1080t i7CPU 950@3.07 GHZ
10GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce-550Ti
1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Always save firewire transfers to hard-drive, as should be happening in PD.
Can you attach a screenshot of your timeline?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 03. 2012 19:45

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I think I know what your question is. I'm having to fill in a lot of blanks.

When you load clips into the media room, and put them into the timeline, the files themselves aren't moved. All PD has are pointers to the files' locations. They aren't "in" PD.

If your clips aren't on your hard drive, then whatever external device they are on has to be continuously available.

This might not be causing your problem, but from the way you phrased your question I thought you might not understand this.

As for why the rendering isn't completing, if the files are on you hard drive I don't have an answer readily to hand. Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You said you saved a Mpeg2 file.

Should I be importing firewire from camera and save on harddrive then import into PD or import directly into PD? Any tips you can give me would be much appreciated. Tks

Yes, you should save the imported video to the hard drive. Then import that video file into PD.

1. where did you save that file to?
2. Did you play that saved file in a video player, VLC or Windows Media Player/

3. "Power tool video corrections". Try your render without the Power tool Corrections.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Videogalnc [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Carolina Joined: Nov 29, 2011 19:01 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for your quick responses. Busy this weekend but will take a look come Monday morning.

Barb Barb

HP h8-1080t i7CPU 950@3.07 GHZ
10GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce-550Ti
1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe