Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD not operating with AMD audio drivers
ChrisH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2012 19:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just ran into a problem. I'm finally getting around to disabling unnecessary audio devices since I'm running my audio through HDMI on an ATI Radeon 7970. Upon disabling the onboard Realtek audio, PowerDVD ceased to function. It won't even open. I decided to try and run the Realtek ATI drivers instead, and now PowerDVD will run, but the drivers don't see an audio device plugged in.

It is a weird predicament in my quest to finally get my PC running properly and smoothly. I enabled the AMD driver again and I get my sound back but I cannot open PowerDVD anymore. I even went as far as to simply disable the audio device in the BIOS in case of a driver conflict.

My computer specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3
Intel Core i7 960 CPU
ATI Radeon 7970 (dual in CrossfireX)
24 GB DDR3-1600
Samsung Blu-Ray disk reader
2TB 7200 RPM HDD
Windows 7 64bit
PowerDVD 9

Anyways, I'm open to suggestion at this point. I'm unsure as to how to proceed in this case.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2012 02:45

guga [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 22, 2012 16:31 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I think PowerDVD is manually set to use Realtek. If you can find an option for you to set it to AMD audio driver. I'm just not sure on where to set it up.
ChrisH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2012 19:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks. I've found that there is definitely a Realtek issue. I did a crash dump and found the following error:

PowerDVD9__PID__6612__Date__05_03_2012__Time_09_55_34AM__227__Second_Chance_Exception_C0000005.dmp
the assembly instruction at RTLCPAPI!DllUnregisterServer+4407 in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RTCOM\RTLCPAPI.dll from Realtek Semiconductor Corp. has caused an access violation exception (0xC0000005) when trying to read from memory location 0x00000000 on thread 0 Please follow up with the vendor Realtek Semiconductor Corp. for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RTCOM\RTLCPAPI.dll

Almost seems like it is trying to call for a driver but it hangs up because the driver is looking for hardware that doesn't exist to it, then throws an exception, essentially preventing the application from running.

EDIT:

I managed to rename the offending file, and it now allows PowerDVD to actually open, but the moment I try to actually play a disk, it shuts down.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 03. 2012 13:48