Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director Freezes
AnderNathan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Austin, TX Joined: Apr 28, 2012 00:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I just downloaded PowerDirector 10 and almost instantly have problems with the application locking up. I have dropped a 45 minute clip in, added a couple effects, a song, and a few transitions.
I haven't done enough work to save the project but it locks up around the same point each time.

I'm attaching the diagnostic file I have seen requested in other threads.

I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Nathan
 Filename
PowerDirector.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
742 time(s)
AnderNathan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Austin, TX Joined: Apr 28, 2012 00:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Additional info.
-The application is using half a gig of Memory when I have to kill the process.
-The video files I'm using are MTS extension.
-Quicktime is up to date.
Thanks
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Nathan: Welcome to the PD10 forum. I looked at your dxdiag file and your computer should be capable of running PD10. You might want to see if there is a video card update available for your card on the nvidia website. Your driver is almost a year old. Windows Update is usually generations behind. Your hard disk has 47 GB free, which should be enough for what you are trying to do. More free space is always better, but what you have should be adequate.

Perhaps if you could provide more details as to exactly what you are doing that provokes the crash, it might help us to narrow down the cause. Is it possible that the source video is corrupted? What error messages, if any, do you get? A screenshot of your timeline might be helpful as well. We all want to help get you powerdirecting happily.

Hope this helps a little. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
[Post New]
With that fast quad-core 2.5 Ghz & over 16 gigs of RAM, your computer is more than sufficient to handle this program...as demanding as it may be.

While my specs are a bit lower than yours, they are still definitely adequate to handle PD10 as well (8192 GB RAM, >100 GB HDD space, i7 720QM). However, as clean as I can get my system to be, PD10 virtually always gives me a hassle in one form or another.

Also make sure you have the latest build which is currently .1424c.

It is a great program with regards to features and ease of use, but performance-wise this program can be a series of frustrating technical disasters.

I'm just letting you know so you have a more comprehensive understanding of the overall strengths:weaknesses ratio in your assessment of them.

[Post New]
Because this is a Mobile "Optimus" workstation, it is CRITICAL that you get the latest Video Drivers.
The qustion is...should you use the latest from Dell or the latest from Nvidia? Dell is very far behind, and their LATEST may not solve your issues. However, the Quadro chip series is a "ticklish" beast"
Nvidia has a more current driver that may help solve the problem, but I suggest you visit the NVIDIA User Community Forum, and ask about your machine, BEFORE you update the drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-296.35-whql-driver.html

Also, make a RESTORE POINT, BEFORE YOU PROCEED WITH THE INSTALLATION.
Nvidia has been working for some time to resolve the issues with Optimus, and I suggest you might find that the driver update from them will solve the problem.

The MTS file should not be a problem, but since you say it
locks up around the same point each time.
I must ask "At WHAT point?".. Also, the music, effects or transitions may also be contributing. Remove them, start with just the clip, then add them back in, one-at-a-time, until it freezes again.

Personal Observation - I hesitate to mention that you are low on Internal Drive space, as there is a contingent of people here who argue endlessly that PD10 can run with no drive space free on the system drive (and I thought the I WAS THE TROLL!!!), but, depending on the size of the file you are working with, you might try to free up some space on the local drive. Just a suggestion...not trying to awaken the "naggers" and Naysayers here!!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 30. 2012 17:59