Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No blu ray playback if using an HDMI splitter?
robphelan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 27, 2012 12:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
In my HTPC I am outputting HDMI to splitter - one to my Onkyo receiver which feeds the LCD TV and the other to my Dell touchscreen that I use to control the PC instead of a KB/M.

Just bought a new Liteon external BluRay player with Power DVD 10. I installed and upgraded to 12.

Blu ray playback doesn't work if I use the splitter.

If I connect directly to the TV it works fine.

The splitter IS HDCP compliant. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=4#feedback

what's going on?
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
I had a good look at your link and I couldn't find anywhere where it said it was HDCP compliant.

I would say that's the problem.

This one comes right out and says it is in their description.

http://www.connectgear.com/HDMI/HSP12.htm

You could try running a trial of AnyDVD HD on your Dell and see if that helps, but then you have to pay for that.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Running AnyDVD HD may not work as I have read there are small circuit boards in the HDMI cable themselves that prevent what you're trying to do here. That's why it appears to me why your product is not HDCP capable.

Why do you even need the splitter, unless your Onkyo Receiver has only one HDMI input ?

If it has two, then the Dell and you stand-alone player inputs into the receiver and the output from the Onkyo plugs into the TV.

This is just my opinion as I have never ran a splitter, but it's food for thought.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2012 18:03

robphelan [Avatar]
[Post New]
as for HDCP compliant - i was going off of their Tech Chat. they went through the manual and said it was 1.2(or something) compliant.

also, in the customer reviews, people specifically mentioned being able to use this for blu ray (PS3, Xbox360 too). 2 of the first 3 mention HDCP
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=4#feedback

The reason i need the splitter:

The Blu Ray drive is hooked up to my PC. The PC feeds the splitter.

One video out goes to the Onkyo which feeds the TV.

The other video out goes to the toucshcreen. I use the touchscreen to control the PC - so i don't have to use a keyboard or mouse.

The images are clones of each other.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I saw in the customer reviews that some did mention that it was HDCP compliant. Don't know what to say about that except that it is someones opinion. If it does not say it in the product description or in the specifications, I would say that it isn't. My two cents worth...

As for you're set-up, I got it now.

Unhook the splitter and any HDMI devices, try connect up your touch screen monitor through VGA (assuming your monitor has VGA) if you can and get that functioning properly, then hook up your TV (Onkyo) through HDMI.

You may not be able to do any of this if the Dell is not capable of supporting two different resolutions (TV and Touch Screen Monitor). If the resolutions are the same then it may work, both being 1920 x 1080 for example.

In the tech chat it was mentioned that it was 1.2 compliant, I am going to guess that they may be talking about 1.2 version of HDMI. If that's the case that doesn't have much to do about HDCP. 1.2 just refers to what version of HDMI it, which is old incidentally, most are using 1.3 and 3D output requires version 1.4.

Try the VGA/HDMI connection first if no luck return the splitter and find one that actually says it's HDCP enabled, not from what other users tell you.

If you do manage to get both screens to work, it may default to the lower resolution of the two.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2012 20:12

guga [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 22, 2012 16:31 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I tried both VGA and HDMI but to no avail. I'll check if these cables are HDCP enabled. Thanks.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
VGA is not allowedanymore for BD content (AACS rule).
You need to use a HDCP enabled connection - otherwise no certificated software will playback BD content.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
axzaxz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2012 06:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The reason i don't need the splitter:

The Blu Ray drive is hooked up to my PC. The PC feeds my Onkyo receiver and Samsung touchscreen lcd.

One video (HDMI) out goes to the Onkyo which feeds the projector.

The other video (DVI) out goes to the toucshcreen HDMI input (I use a HDMI/DVI adapter). I use the touchscreen to control the PC - so i don't have to use a keyboard or mouse.

The images are clones of each other (1080p).
[Post New]
More than likely the issue in your case is HDCP. You can check KVMSwitchtech. They offer a wide range of HDMI Splitter products and are HDCP compliant.
axzaxz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2012 06:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Also you need to turn on your computer and your tv (projector) and wait until they are on before you turn on your receiver. If I don't do this I also get a black picture, order of turn off don't matter.
robphelan [Avatar]
[Post New]
it turns out it's an issue with the splitter being non-HDCP compliant - although they assured me it was.

I used a trial version of AnyDVD and it works perfectly on both the touchscreen and TV.

So, i have to decide if I want to pay to bypass the DRM via software or spend more money on an HDCP spliiter.

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: it turns out it's an issue with the splitter being non-HDCP compliant - although they assured me it was.

Yes, as I said in the beginning, I find many vendors will say anything to sell their products.

I am glad you got it sorted out. Any DVDHD is a very useful product. I use it to create ISO's of my Blu-ray rentals. I save the movies to the hard drive and watch them when I want to, not when the video store dictates when to watch them.

I have the life-time product and have never regretted it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 03. 2012 20:50