Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Which new computer?
1Powderdog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2011 20:38 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I've been told in this forum that I need a new computer because mine just isn't powerful enough to do HD editing. I don't remember the name of the person who responded to my post about my video stopping and starting but he is a long time regular here and I believe he is correct. My problem now is which computer. I would like to stay with HP and, if possible, buy from Costco. I am not particularly concerned with the price as long as I don't buy something with features that I won't use such as games. I hate computer games ! I am pretty much interest in HD video editing because the laptop that I have is perfectly adequate for everything else that I do. The problem is that I don't understand much of what those specifications mean. For example, one of the requirements for PowerDirector 9 is a 42.2 Ghz processor. When I go to the HP web site, I don't see any such thing. I'm not made out of money but I don't want to try so save a couple hundred bucks by buying something that is barely adequate now and will be obsolete again in a couple of years. If I have to spend a couple thousand, I want to make sure that I'm getting what I need and not a bunch of stuff that doesn't really apply to my situation. So my approach is this: I want to get a laptop that is appropriate for editing HD video and that is capable of performing every feature of PowerDirector 9 at whatever price I need to pay. Can anybody help?!!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 24. 2012 12:17

I've never eaten a "smore" and I never will.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Re-read the requirements. Could that be a Pentium 4 at 2.2 GH. That is more logical.

Just FYI. Most gaming computers have what you need -- fast, multi-core processir, lots of hard disk space, a good video card or chip, etc.

Aslo look at refurbished computer that carry the same warrenty as the original. Dell, Levono, Ausus and perhaps even HP have good deals on refurbished computer wit guarantees.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 24. 2012 12:28

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Going out on limb,
Your goal is to do HD video editing. tougher on PC than gaming. If you get a "out of the box" by HP, Dell, ASUS, etc you can get a PC that will do HD but doubtful and you want be happy long. You may not know it but you will be un-happy. Not long for many reasons encluding waste of money.

You should spec a PC out and have it built. There are several web stores that will do so and are reliable. They will talk you thru and quote you a price right then. One I have used for several years and would recommend is TigerDirect.

Off top of my head. (pricing everythink high I believe and should be cheaper)
1. Top of the line processor--8 multicore, speeds of 2.83 and above, aprox $500
2. Hard drives, two 1gig each min size, 7200 high speed, and one 1gig external USB3 (can add later) $250 for 2
3. Motherboard----ASUS makes nice boards but others do to, want excellant chip set, USB3 network, 8 plus USB ports, 4 RAM slots with each slot capible of high density Ram chips $185
4. Ram 16gig total 4X4 $100
5. Video card---2 gig on board- $150 to $400 worth spending money on. go look at bench marks. Carl helped me. Thank you Carl
6. Sound Card--- $49
7. Power supply---min 750watt $175
8. Windows Professional $?

Should be under $1500 ?
9. Case--gamer full size case--5 plus fans in case, big fans, $150 Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.
GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
One more and there may be more

Blue Ray burner. will do CD/DVDs/Bd $80 Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi 1Powerdog

My laptop specs are on my signature.

I only ever use HD video files and for most of the time PD10 works great Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I don't remember the name of the person who responded to my post...

If you want to revisit that response, you could check your past posts here.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/listByUser/158177.page Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips