Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Useless Titles and DVD Menus
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2012 18:55 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
I can't believe I'm forced to crank up Movie Maker whenever I need a title or DVD menu because the Power Director titles and menus are so useless.

I need generic titles and menus that look professional not all the Hollywood rip-off and gamer-inspired titles and menus.

Who but a 13-year-old uses the MGM logo in his DVD menus?

The user generated stuff is awful, but that's to be expected.

What's not expected is Cyberlink has no decent default stuff.

And combing through the hundreds of user submitted stuff is not an option. PD should come with quality defaults -- just the way the FREE Movie Maker does! -- but doesn't.

Nothing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2012 03:06

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
So find a different product, and stop insulting people. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Gary -

Far from disagreeing with you, I've held the same view since starting with PD7 - especially about titles. I've taught 8-9 year olds who could format text in a more "adult" way.

Personally, I never use any of the installed titles or DVD menus.

On the other hand, once you get you head around formatting your own, PD does allow you to produce quite professional looking titles & menus. Of course, it has its limitations but it depends what you're after.

Here's a little side by side titling comparison I made... http://youtu.be/GNX_Dfe3G0s

Could you provide a link to or screenshots of something you'd consider to be "professional"? Perhaps upload one to DirectorZone & post the link here?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary,

Insulting (?) or not ;
the default options all round have been discussed many times before, especially the titles.
The fact seems to be that CL wants it this way, relying on the user submitted
stuff to be what a lot of people want.....
I do not use the dvd production myself, but I believe there’s possibilities to
tweak things in there.
Try a search, and see what you can find.
Also, some of the members here use different software for menus and burning.

Yep, there’s Tony – he will give you pointers

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary

Welcome to the volunteer forum

Granted, the preset DVD Menus are; at the best, quite useless

However; PD does allow the user to 'make' Custom menus, a great option if you do not want the Monopoly Board

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary

Maybe you would like to make some of your own suggestions on this thread:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22604.page Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
As a novice user of Power Director for hobby work and amusement I love the program. I create my own Backgrounds, Menus and objects, frames that match the theme i am working on.
It takes time and some imagination on your part tho'. If you don't want to have something original that you create fine go with Movie Makers point and click and have a menu 'Production' that is not your design...I would rather have a finished video that I created by myself.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
As a novice user of Power Director for hobby work and amusement I love the program. I create my own Backgrounds, Menus and objects, frames that match the theme i am working on.
It takes time and some imagination on your part tho'. If you don't want to have something original that you create fine go with Movie Makers point and click and have a menu 'Production' that is not your design...I would rather have a finished video that I created by myself.
Jim

The question isn't PD vs Movie Maker, the question is why doesn't PD have any native/default Text and DVD menu choices as simple, useful, and beautiful as Movie Maker.

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Did you not try directorzone where umpteen templates are uploaded. Atleast few may be to your palate

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2012 02:46

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Gary -

Is this not simple, useful & beautiful? http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/153239

I'd still be interested to see some examples of menus or titles you think are OK. As Jim says, PD allows you much more scope to format your own.

Since you're raising comparisons, see how you'd go doing this in WMM... (this was my first shot at this & no - I know it's not simple, useful & beautiful) http://youtu.be/vOCG8PbBHM0
Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2012 03:32

garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Gary -

Is this not simple, useful & beautiful? http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/153239

I'd still be interested to see some examples of menus or titles you think are OK. As Jim says, PD allows you much more scope to format your own.

Since you're raising comparisons, see how you'd go doing this in WMM... (this was my first shot at this & no - I know it's not simple, useful & beautiful) http://youtu.be/vOCG8PbBHM0
Cheers - Tony

I've already seen the menu you mention above and it's useless. Here's a u-tube showing wmm menus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj_xv1fyQjY

The menus are smart, tasteful, and professional -- entirely unlike the childish, gamer-inspired menus you get with PD.

And I'm not the least bit interested in learning how to make custom menus. I just think a app that bills itself as the best around should at least offer quality menus I can get for free from wmm.

Likewise titles. Who on earth uses the garish, clownish titles in PD?

Meanwhile, in wmm, the titles are again simple and tasteful.

check it out yourself in wmm.

Pissed, yeah, I'm pissed. I'm getting all my titles and menus from wmm and in fact would probably dump PD entirely if there was a way to get an old version of wmm on my machine instead of the windows live version.
ynotfish
[Post New]
OK - fair enough.

No - it's OK - I've used WMM & WMML. I have no need to check it/them out further. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear you're not interested in learning how to do things for yourself - that's OK.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. Getting hold of the WMM 2.6 is easy.
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: OK - fair enough.

No - it's OK - I've used WMM & WMML. I have no need to check it/them out further. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear you're not interested in learning how to do things for yourself - that's OK.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. Getting hold of the WMM 2.6 is easy.

Installing wmm on win 7 is not easy. There are entire forums devoted to this and none of the solutions work on my machine.
http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html#comment-form
ynotfish
[Post New]
Works fine here (WMM6 - 64bit). No problem installing or running.

Good luck - Tony
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Works fine here (WMM6 - 64bit). No problem installing or running.

Good luck - Tony

Great.

Can I come over and use your machine?

I'd take the red eye from Kennedy and be there in the morning.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Garylloyd1212

In all the posts I have noticed you have vented frustration though many users like Tony endeavoured to help you with the problem.

From you posts I infer that you are not inclined to accept the suggestions or workarounds.

If you still feel that PD10 is not meeting your minimum expectations it would be wise if you seek a refund
and move to something which will make you happy.

All of us are like "you", a user, who have come here to seek and help each other.

Thank you
Babdi PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti

garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Garylloyd1212

In all the posts I have noticed you have vented frustration though many users like Tony endeavoured to help you with the problem.

From you posts I infer that you are not inclined to accept the suggestions or workarounds.

If you still feel that PD10 is not meeting your minimum expectations it would be wise if you seek a refund
and move to something which will make you happy.

All of us are like "you", a user, who have come here to seek and help each other.

Thank you
Babdi

Who died and appointed you God?
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
In wmm I can get 10 quality titles or menues with the click of keystroke.

In PD I have to wade through hundreds of user submitted gunk after which I find nothing.

One app is free the other costs $90.

Guess which one that is?

babindia
[Post New]
Gary
It was your choice that you bought PD-10.We did not ask you. You should have tested the trial version,asked the question which you are asking now before you bought.

There is no God here. We are all like you,I guess,perhaps a bit saner

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2012 10:48

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Gary,
stop here- while you can.
My guess is that you’ll be wiped out from the forum anyway.
There’s nothing wrong with WMM. Stick with it for the time being.
I understand you’re upset about the money spent. Try getting a refund.
Tony spent some time trying to help you on the way. Please, read his posts again,
and disguard the rest of us.
I suspect you thought buying PD10 would make a “flashier” video easier to produce.
And why wouldn’t you. When reading the adds it seems simple.
Well, for most of the stuff we are bombarded with,, adds are one thing, reality another.
Get a refund, Gary, and come back another time. It would be nice to watch your work.

Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com