Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Making PD Run Faster
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2012 18:55 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to turn off most of PD if that will make it run faster.

Really don't need all the features and don't like the way it hangs.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
PD is fairly fast, could you please enlighten us on the specs of your computer?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Follow this link, and provide Part A, and Part B (part B should be as an attachment).
Also, is PD slow in the edit, or slow in the production? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's slow in edit and tends to hang.

slows to a crawl with avchd files so I've resorted to converting these files to avi.

will provide version as soon as progrom loads. I suspect I'll have to restart my computer.

see attachment

version 10.0.01424c
 Filename
DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
478 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2012 10:54

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately, I suspect the answer from most folk will be that your laptop is underpowered for the job, although you don't say exactly what type of source files you are editing.

I think the short answer to your query is that there is very little (if anything) that you can "switch off" to aid performance.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Unfortunately, I suspect the answer from most folk will be that your laptop is underpowered for the job, although you don't say exactly what type of source files you are editing.

I think the short answer to your query is that there is very little (if anything) that you can "switch off" to aid performance.

Cheers
Adrian

I'm not happy. I've resorted to windows movie maker.

I don't understand why my machine isn't powerful enough.

ime of this report: 4/23/2012, 09:55:05
Machine name: RICLAND-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite L515
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.50
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2940MB RAM
Page File: 2848MB used, 3029MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with vn800rider
Your specs show that you are running a dual core with 3 GB of RAM with available memory of around 2GB very meager for editing HD videos. There is no dedicated video card
All this drags PD's performance greatly

I suggest
A Quad core PC with at least 8 Gigs of RAM and 1 GB video card

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2012 10:58

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary,

mind you, I'm no expert in reading Dxdiags, but from what I understand,
your computer seem to be not powerful enough for AVCHD files.
You have a dual core @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz and a graphic card Display Memory: 1341 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1213 MB
There's a lot listed under DirectShow Filters. Do you have a lot running/installed on your pc?
Your C: drive has very little space, and only 5.1 GB free.

You are going in the right direction to convert your files, but why .avi?
Try converting to .mp4 or .wmv , set a modest bitrate to the convertion and maybe all the
way down to 640x360 (at least 1280x720), to give it a try. Pre-produce small bits and combine these
small bits in the to the same format.
Gary, I have to do this on my laptop all the time, and my laptop is a bit stronger than yours.
Sorry, you might not be in luck.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Gary,

mind you, I'm no expert in reading Dxdiags, but from what I understand,
your computer seem to be not powerful enough for AVCHD files.
You have a dual core @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz and a graphic card Display Memory: 1341 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1213 MB
There's a lot listed under DirectShow Filters. Do you have a lot running/installed on your pc?
Your C: drive has very little space, and only 5.1 GB free.

You are going in the right direction to convert your files, but why .avi?
Try converting to .mp4 or .wmv , set a modest bitrate to the convertion and maybe all the
way down to 640x360 (at least 1280x720), to give it a try. Pre-produce small bits and combine these
small bits in the to the same format.
Gary, I have to do this on my laptop all the time, and my laptop is a bit stronger than yours.
Sorry, you might not be in luck.

"There's a lot listed under DirectShow Filters. Do you have a lot running/installed on your pc?"

How do I get these things out of the DirectShow Filters?

Thanks
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
In addition to the above,

Make sure that you are not running anything else while you are doing the editing. Turn off your internet and your anti-virus.

Use msconfig to limit what starts when your computer is booted. Soluto (free) is another good tool to use to limit the items that start when you boot.

Are you planning to make AVCHD or blu-ray discs? If not, convert the videos to mpg2 standard definition. There is no need to work in high definition if your output is going to be to a standard DVD.

Cyberlink has Media Expresso that may be able to convert the files. I like the free (Any Video Converter). It is fast and also does batch conversion. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I’m sure a few of the guys here will give you a more accurate answer, Gary.

But just the same;
all the stuff, encoders/decoders/splitters/compressors….they get installed along
with the programs/software you install. You can, of course, install codec-packs on their own.
When you uninstall programs, you would think the uninstall took all the bits and pieces
from the program away. But no, that’s not always the case.
That’s why sometimes, it’s recommended to use special uninstalling programs other than
the usual from the control panel. Sometimes, it seems programs tangle themselves in a knot,
interfering with each other…..then you really are in for some work!
That’s why I don’t do install/uninstall frequently. I’m careful about trials.

From here, Gary, to the more helpful remarks, I think you have to wait for others.
It’s just that reading your Dxdiag, it suggested to me that you have, or have had, programs
installed that demand a lot of space and “control”.
Do you have heavy programs installed that you don't really use that much and could uninstall?

About convertion: your whole point of doing that would be to have smaller files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2012 12:08

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Your machine is weak for HD editing. If you look at my signature below, you will see my DM1z specs.
My processor is not as powerful as yours, but I have better graphics and double the RAM. I can run PD9 and 10, but I don't expect perfect performance due to the strength of my system. I don't dare edit HD video more than 5-8 minutes in length, and if I add FX, or fixes, I must be very patient or do things in steps. On my big laptop with superior specs, I have far fewer issues, but HD video is demanding and I have learned to know the strengths and weaknesses of both PD and my editing machines. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Took several of the suggestions and the improvement has been dramatic.

Soluto got rid of start-up programs I wasn't even aware of.

Started converting to mpp4 that helped lots.

Should I invest in a graphics card and increase my ram?

Thanks, again
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Should I invest in a graphics card and increase my ram?

Thanks, again

You can't usually do that with a laptop. Generally speaking, the only things you can change are memory and disk. Jerry Schwartz
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary

My laptop specs are on my signature - PD10 works well with my set up.

In addition to what the other members have said, you might be able to 'speed' things up in Preferences (Top left the Cog next to aspect ratio):

Preferences> General

Uncheck Enable HD video processing (shadow file)

Preferences>Confirmation

Uncheck things you believe would 'speed' things up

Preferences>File

Ensure Import and Export Folders locations are on your C Drive

Also:

Ensure PD10 is installed on the C Drive and ALL media folders are also on the C Drive

Change the Preview window quality (between Camera Icon and Volume Icon under the preview window)

Happy editing

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 24. 2012 22:07

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good suggestions.

They've helped.