Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stabilization + Speed Reduction problem...
BrownChiLD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2012 08:11 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys

Lemme explain a bit..

I have a 5 second clip w/c i've applied stabilization on..

i cut the middle part of that into its own clip and slow it down half speed..

I wanted to achieve a SMOOOTH TRANSITION between the clips, (normal-slowmo-normal effect)

however the clip w/ the slowmo is the NORMAL FRAME (no stability/ZOOMED @ 100% only vs around 110% on stabilized video).. this results in a not so smooth transition

I had to disable stabilizer on all clips to achieve a smooth transition ...

is this a KNOWN issue? is there a way around this?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi guys

Lemme explain a bit..

I have a 5 second clip w/c i've applied stabilization on..

i cut the middle part of that into its own clip and slow it down half speed..
I wanted to achieve a SMOOOTH TRANSITION between the clips, (normal-slowmo-normal effect)
however the clip w/ the slowmo is the NORMAL FRAME (no stability/ZOOMED @ 100% only vs around 110% on stabilized video).. this results in a not so smooth transition
I had to disable stabilizer on all clips to achieve a smooth transition ...
is this a KNOWN issue? is there a way around this?

Hi BrownChild

PD10 is not renowned for it's slow motion ability and the Stabilisation tool cannot really handle a bad shake.

The more Fix-Enchances you apply to a clip the worse they seem to become.

A workaround for your problem is to:

1. Open a new project

2. Import this clip and apply Stabilizer then Produce this file as close to the original as possible.

3. Import this Produced file back into the timeline and Split and apply your Slow Motion and Produce the file again.

As I said PD is not great at this effect.

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

BrownChiLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
ahh well it's good to confirm that it's not just me haha..

wish PD would fix this , i use this effect a lot (Music video - ish type videos)

I want to work w/ as little source files as possible (save disk space, less clutter and files to organize)

however, if i have to do this then it's ok. i have other software that handles stability and enhancements better.. like vReveal software it's really good.. but i wanted a 1 stop solution for all this, again to avoid dealing w/ many files.. but if i have to then i guess, i have to .. hehe

thanks so much man.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure I fully understand as by definition a stabilised clip (in effect, as you point out for this issue, a zoomed clip) cannot smoothly transition into a non- stabilised clip (in effect non-zoomed) as they are different sizes, unless some form of adjustment is "manually" applied.

Unfortunately, stabilisation is not keyframed so another method has to be found. PD's transitions are often a little "coarse".

As a quick experiment I tried the following :-
Applied your workflow re splitting, stabilising etc
move the slo-mo clip to track 2
expand the time line to frame level (or near enough)
overlap the clips by say 10 frames but you can try differing overlaps to suit the content/effect
manually adjust both clips opacity to get the required "fade"
the transition smoothness is then dependent on the length of overlap which can be easily adjusted from 1 frame (= a cut) to 60 frames (= a normal 2 sec fade)
Any accompanying audio can be manually adjusted differently if necessary.

Worth a try?

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
BrownChiLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
@adrian

wow thanks for taking the time to try a work around. while i've not tried this yet i do get the point and i see how this can work.. however it does require quite a bit of manipulating and dealing w/ the time line and overlaps stuff like gota get it right and all. hehe. sa'll right as i tink that's stll better than having to export a clip just for this effect.. as i've said i'd like to keep my source files to a minimum hehe . i hate the clutter..

so thanks for the idea, this will come in hand..

the only thin now is that this method requires a bit of fade effect.. but if you want a real clean seamless transition i guess either DONT USE stabilization for the clips in question, or export and import a stabilized clip ..