Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 10 always freezing when scrolling thru the timeline
BrownChiLD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2012 08:11 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys

I have a problem w/ PD 10....
im editing 720hd videos, and my computer is very powerful (quad @ 4.0Ghz 8GB ram SSD win7 x64 etc) .. so this is definitely a PD problem...

You see when i drag the timeline marker to preview scenes,looking for areas to cut and stuff, 3 out of 5 times the preview window can't seem to catch up, it freezes on a frame and no matter where i drag the timeline the preview video doesnt move anymore, then i have to leave it alone for 5 seconds or so and the preview window snaps to whatever scene i have the market set to ... but when i directly click on a spot on the time line the preview window shows it instantly, so i guess it's w/ the running/dragging preview that PP is having problems w/ ... obviously that is a vital feature for ease of preview and for the clip selection process..

http://d.pr/i/WaNI

my videos are all shadowfile enabled so i dunno what's up really..

please advise?
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Please reduce the preview window resolution to a lower setting

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2012 08:20

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Link doesn't work.

How long in time are the videos you are editing. Does this happen after the video has been loaded for some time or just after it gets loaded.

Where are you saving the files - on the SSD or an auxiliary hard drive? If the aux hard drive, have you cleaned and defragged it?

What else do you have running - anti-virus that continuously scans that hard drive.

I don't think it is a problem with PD -- I have an I7 processor (slower than yours) less memory, standard hard drive, etc and have not seen the problem with this software.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2012 08:38

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BrownChiLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
@BabIndia

Thanks for the suggestions.. i tried playing w/ the settings.. i even tried LOWEST preview quality and doin it NON REAL TIME.. and swing the marker back and forth through the clips slowly still makes PD Freeze for few seconds

@Stevek
the link does work, perhaps ur browser security software is blocking it coz of the short URL type link...

to answer your questions
1) my current project is composed of about 8 GoPro HD videos roughly around 40 minutes of footage, and right now just a lil over 6 minutes .. see here:
http://d.pr/i/xWYP

2) It didnt matter if it's freshly loaded video or cached/shadow filed, even if im workin on the project for hours already w/o new videos added to the timeline, it still happens. i do notice though that this thing only happens to specific clips from specific video file (just observed it) but i dunno why it would be like this, all videos have same settings 720 60fps, and the other videos i've chopped up that doesnt have this freeze issue are longer/bigger than the ones that has. so it doesnt make sense

3) i'm saving to a WD Black 1TB HDD, but cache is on the SSD .. HDD and SSD are both above 80% efficiency..

4) I always turn off my REAL TIME Scanning feature (i have habit of manually scanning NEW files i introduce to my PC so i have no use for REAL TIME )

5) hmm.. i also use ProShow Producer and that thing works flawlessly ... both ProShow and PD uses shadow files or caches to do this and i would assume PD is better..

anyway i'm just checking w/ you guys if you have any idea why this is so, perhaps this is a known issue or something.. . if it's only me then oh well.. but i would like to explore other things i can do
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Brownchild
Disable hardware acceleration and shadow files from preferences. PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Try unticking Shadow files, you should not need them for 720 video and your well-spec'd computer.
Have you updated your video card VIA the MANUFACTURER?
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi BrownChild

Welcome to the volunteer forum

Just my two cents worth and in addition to what the others have recommend.

Looking at your timeline you have used lots of Fix/Enchance - Power Tools.

These items can stress your computer out to the max.

Ensure that all source files and export folder are on your C drive - this is where PD10 'lives'.

Try Producing the project first (using a profile as close to the source files as possible).

Happy editing

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 22. 2012 20:23

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

BrownChiLD [Avatar]
[Post New]
@ALL

thanks...

re HW acceleration and shadow files...arent these things that should make things faster/better? but ok ill try that later when i get back to working on the vids..

and yes i always use the latest stable release of my ATI 5870 2GB Graphics card.. specially since im more aware of this for my gaming...

Re fix/enhance and powertools, yeh i do use them but for the most part i have experienced this freeze issue even when previewing a clip that doesnt have any enhancements on it..

as for C: Drive configuration.. i can have my export file put there, but having my source files there will clog up my 80GB Performance SSD easy.. i can temporarily move the source files there for editing and move em back to D: drive after editing but then PD will lose touch of source files on next open.. so i think i will have to keep it on my data drives (D: E: etc) where i put my albums and videos and all..