Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD - 6 Worth the upgrade from PD - 5?
Haskew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2006 00:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I wanted everyone's opinion on upgrading to PD 6 from PD 5 Premium. My two main concerns are

The project file corruption issue, any better? This issue is very frustrating but at least with PD5 I know what I'm up against.

I noticed in v4 and v5 when applying a video effect there is a loss of quality, has this been fixed? By loss of quality I mean it appears more "pixelated" with an effect than without.

Let me know, thanks!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

1. yes it's worth the improvements - upgrade
2. pds issue - long gone
3. variable bit rate (VBR) or video from your camera. - these are the two causes of pixelation on a video.

3-1. VBR - capture (mpeg) can be at a fixed rate or a variable rate - there is an option to make the change. The CPU size of your PC does dictate if the capture as an mpeg/render is at a lower 3000 or at the higher rate 8000 vbr.
3-2. Camera cause - basically you cant improve upon a rubbish low quality capture image on a single CCD with a duff lens. You will get pixelation.

3-3 If you have real concerns you should consider capturing as an DV-AVI from a 3 CCD capable video camera and retain as high a quality video throughout the editing process. Note the higher the spec of your PC really does help in this case.

PD6 is a super Fast-Edit tool and a pleasure to have on a PC or Laptop.

Dafydd
Haskew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Dafydd, I always appreciate your quick and informative responses, PD6 sounds great. Luckily I have received some Christmas cash so I should have PD6 up and running tonight.

Of course, should have thought about it before, Low quality video + enhancement (with PD) = low quality enhanced video.

Did want to check though, just to make sure!

I have improved my camera this year but only 1 CCD. Thanks again and have a Happy and Safe New Year.
[Post New]
I echo Dafydd reply. I waited for a while before upgrading.

To my amazement v6 loads faster than v5. I've only used v6 for about 2 weeks, lots of improvements that I wanted. Well worth the upgrade.

Jim D

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2007 21:47

Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Alabama Joined: Dec 31, 2007 11:49 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
you would be missing out if your did not upgrade to 6.

Does anyone know when 7 is coming?? Through Christ,
Chris
[Post New]
Ok, I just upgrade. The changes in pip are really nice. You can now have your pip move instead of it being stationary. The cartoon pop up's are really cool too.

One thing that I don't like is you can only add your transitions in the timeline mode. I found it much easier in the storyboard mode. I like to click and drag them into the storyboard. I have a hard time doing this in the timeline. Unless you expand the timeline, its very hard to line up the transition to where you want it. You can click on pic in timeline and have the computer add the transition, but I found it easier to click and drag in the storyboard.

Other than that, I like the upgrade. I did have to reinstall once. Make sure all you old PD5 is off your system. I used the cyberlink windows intall clean and that helped, no problems with the second install. Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ok, I just upgrade. The changes in pip are really nice. You can now have your pip move instead of it being stationary. The cartoon pop up's are really cool too.

One thing that I don't like is you can only add your transitions in the timeline mode. I found it much easier in the storyboard mode. I like to click and drag them into the storyboard. I have a hard time doing this in the timeline. Unless you expand the timeline, its very hard to line up the transition to where you want it. You can click on pic in timeline and have the computer add the transition, but I found it easier to click and drag in the storyboard.

Other than that, I like the upgrade. I did have to reinstall once. Make sure all you old PD5 is off your system. I used the cyberlink windows intall clean and that helped, no problems with the second install.

Oh do I agree..........Was that a mistake! I hope they will change it back! Through Christ,
Chris
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Chris 31/12/2007 09:11:34 Subject: ReD - 6 Worth the upgrade from PD - 5?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you would be missing out if your did not upgrade to 6.

Does anyone know when 7 is coming??

Hey Chris,
It is supposed to be released sometime this spring.
David
Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I e-mailed and asked if when they were coming out with 7 they responded and said April......I believe? Through Christ,
Chris
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

It is false to think there is a problem with transition placement or it is difficult to make changes to transition length in the time-line mode. The storyboard method is very basic stuff and not a method any sensible video editor should consider using in the long term - the time-line learning curve is easy to comprehend.

The techniques and tools to achieve results are used in the time-line mode. If you have a particular problem in achieving something them post the problem on the forum. There are many video editors here who will guide you and make sure you have a good experience using PowerDirector 6.

PowerDirector 6 is a lot better than earlier versions including 5!

As for PowerDirector 7 and when will it be out. The release date is Spring time as far as I'm aware. This program is still in the development stage with issues to be ironed out and sorted.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2008 04:58

[Post New]
I agree with you about the timeline mode. With PD5, i would only use storybord when it came to the transitions. I just found it easier to click and drag to a point between the pics. It will just take some getting use to the doing this in the timeline mode. It's just the way I learned starting with PD4.

In the timeline mode, unles you expoand the timeline, the pics are rather small and it can be a pain to drag your transition between two pics. Now if you expand the timeline the pics become larger making it much easier to do so.

Thanks for the input!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2008 07:41

Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Haskew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just wanted to say, thanks for the advice! I upgraded and produced my first DVD with little to no issues! PD6 is GREAT! I think they have really stabilized it since PD4, PD3 was good but I had the worst luck with PD4 & 5, glad to have a great version back!