Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD menu highlights and subtitles not visible or corrupted when TrueTheatre is enabled
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 06, 2009 19:03 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PowerDVD in Cinema mode. When TrueTheatre enhancements are enabled (custom/auto) I've found that the highlights in DVD menus either vanish or appear to be corrupted, though not on first load - on first insertion of a DVD they may appear, but if I start watching the DVD and return to the menu they are either invisible (making menus very hard to navigate) or corrupted. Switching the enhancements off brings the menu highlights back, and when they are switched on again the menu highlights remain visible for a while.

This happens for all DVDs, and I have attached a screenshot from The IT Crowd Version 2.0 caused by switching enhancements off and entering the episode selection menu (menu-ok.jpg) - the green box around the top left graphic is the highlight I'm referring to. I then switched enhancements on, selected the first episode then returned to the menu (L, "root menu") which caused the corruption displayed in menu-corrupt.jpg.
[Thumb - menu-ok.jpg]
 Filename
menu-ok.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Menu - rendering OK with TrueTheatre disabled (green box around judge in top left).
 Filesize
116 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
234 time(s)
[Thumb - menu-corrupt.jpg]
 Filename
menu-corrupt.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Menu highlight corrupted with TrueTheatre in "auto" (weird streaks on judge in top left).
 Filesize
114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
232 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2012 14:10

Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have noticed that the same bug also applies to subtitles and appears to be related to TrueTheater's "Dynamic Quality" setting. When "Dynamic Quality" is enabled, subtitles are invisible. If I bring up the on-screen menu (press left/right), move to "Video Enhancement", select "TrueTheater (Auto)" and press Enter the current subtitles appear on screen briefly then vanish. Every time I press Enter the subtitles appear briefly then vanish and do not appear again. If I select "TrueTheater (Custom)" the subtitles are always shown. However, when using one of the "Display Mode" comparison modes (Split/Compare) the subtitles are shown, even when Dynamic Quality ("Auto") mode is enabled. My custom settings enable all three features (HD, Lighting and Motion) so I don't think it's one of those that's to blame.
flogger123 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 24, 2012 08:22 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
That's interesting. I did the same thing as the issue your having but everything went fine on my end.
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for looking. It's a strange one, and could well be hardware-related - I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 6770 with the latest (12.3/28th March 2012) drivers on 32-bit Windows Vista.

I tried in the standard player mode (as opposed to the cinema mode, which I prefer) and the issue prevails - if I select the automatic mode subtitles are displayed once and then vanish, but in custom/manual mode they are displayed fine.

As an aside, video is not deinterlaced in classic mode for me either - regardless of the setting I choose in Catalyst Control Center. Video is deinterlaced in cinema mode.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
you may also try this with AERO mode on and off, it looks if it is related to the driver

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply - I'm afraid I still get the same issue if I switch Aero off. It's not much of an issue as I can work around it by using the "Custom" TrueTheater settings, but it would still be nice if "Auto" worked.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I can now confirm the issue here - I have forwarded it to ourteam for investigation.

thanks
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the confirmation. I hope it's relatively straightforward to cure!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2012 15:17

Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
The current patch for PowerDVD 12 (12.0.1905c.56) fixes this issue - thank you very much!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 12. 2012 08:36