Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Looking for tutorial or info on editing a 2-camera wedding/reception using PD10
Videogalnc [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Carolina Joined: Nov 29, 2011 19:01 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
I'm just now taking the time to go thru tutorials and learning how to use this program but have a wedding in 2 weeks and would like to try editing in Power Director. Will have footage from 2 cameras and would like to A/B roll or insert edit. Previously years I've used the Macrosystem's Casablanca Kron for editing which was a stand-alone editing system and just now trying to shift to PC Based. Any suggestions or directions would be greatly appreciated

Barb

Barb

HP h8-1080t i7CPU 950@3.07 GHZ
10GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce-550Ti
1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Videogalnc I started doing two camer views last year. I shoot from a motorcycle with one camera looking out front and one looking back. I uncheck and check the video track has I'm going through it.

Here is what it looks like when I'm doing it.
[Thumb - PD10.JPG]
 Filename
PD10.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
167 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
424 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2012 17:52

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Videogalnc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you So Much Michael. I have downloaded so I can study it. Since I've never done a project in PD before I need to "digest" what you've done. If you get a chance to walk me quickly thru it verbally...that would be great; otherwise, I'll take a look at this in the morning and may shout back with any questions.

Tks again : Barb

1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
well on that one the bottom track it the rear view and the top is the front. Now they say to make a loud noise to line up the tracks with the audio spike. On the GoPro cameras in the water proff case is hard to do. I'm going to get me one of those can air horn. If I get the time I will make a video of how I do it. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I done a video of a wedding not long ago...using a Canon Camera Vixia R100..my suggestion is that the lighting won't be that good in (possibly) in the Church/Hall...or it will be tungsten...so I would invest in some auxiliary lighting method as some Camera indoor shot don't come out that good (grainy).
Also there was a friend videoing also with a standard definition camcorder that took different perspective than I did. I managed to persuade some of the guests to submit there images to me and I incorporated them also.
It can be a learning experience for you (unless you are already a proficient Videographer).
I created my own tiltles and disk menu for the finished production.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barb -

Some time back, a tutorial was started by PDtoots on this very topic. At the time we were actively discouraged from continuing by someone who thought they knew better. Sadly, it's remained on the back burner ever since. I'll put it back on the front burner! The question comes up often.

In the meantime, to add to what Michael has suggested, here's how I go about it... after shooting the videos and getting the clips synced in the timeline.

1. I resize the clips temporarily, so I can see what's happening in each...

2. I go through (just as Michael has done) and decide which parts of each clip will be used & which will be tossed "on the cutting room floor". Splits are created at each "switch" point in both clips...

3. Sections that will be discarded are taken out using "Remove & Leave Gap" - that keeps everything where it was before.

4. Finally, the timeline looks just like Michael's. All clips are resized to full screen...

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Videogalnc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Gosh...can't believe the quick response I'm getting. I read Michael's post and thought how nice of him to offer to do a "how to" and then I read your post Tony and....there it was. I have dual monitors setup so in the morning I'll display your instructions while walking thru with my test footage. Again, thanks everybody for your time in helping me get this sorted out.
Happy Easter !
Barb

1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony

Excellent explanation. I only wish I saw this three years ago, instead of muddling around trying to sync things.

Thankfully three years later I use your method almost exactly.

My only difference is that I extract the audio from the camera with the better audio and use this as a master audio and mute the other video track Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
An additional technique that may be useful with 2 or more tracks is to sync both (or all) tracks and, keeping videos full screen, use the opacity rubber band to bring the different parts of the tracks into precedence, the unwanted sections of each track can then be rough cut out (or retained but "invisible"), with final "transitions" done more precisely as required. This allows reasonable editing but without the screen becoming overcome with multiple PiP windows.

A note of caution/experience for non repeatable events like weddings etc :-
2 cameras are better than 1
3 cameras are better than 2

Even with 2 cameras it is not unknown for footage from both to be compromised, say due to vibration from the unruly children or something, in such cases infills of other material - say images of the interior etc etc - can salvage a missing/unuseable/compromised bit of video without marring the overall flow.

Then there will be a need for more than 2 editing tracks and a stock of infill footage or images.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
An air-horn would be a poor choice as an audio cue, as you need a quick sharp brief spike in the wav lines to line up. Can't imagine an air-horn to be welcome at a wedding/funeral!
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Barry,
Some of us have "clapper boards" that they never use 'cos "we" look a bit of a geek trying to be a famous director!

Plus;
Multiple cameras - watch out for cheaper cameras that don't adhere to the exactly same frame rate as they should.

Dafydd
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
And for concerts, be very wary of the mics being over-blown by the rhythm section. I read once where folks will tolerate less-than-perfect video, but lousy sound will make 'em click away from your video rather quickly. Can't wait to try my new M40, it can use an external mic AND mix the internal mic at the same time. Hope it meshes well visually with my HF20. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Michael8511
[Post New]
BarryTheCrab the air horn was for me to be use out side. When I ready to take off on the motorcycle.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 06. 2012 08:26

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
Videogalnc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good thoughts on shooting techniques. I will tell you I've been into videography for almost 20 years but just didn't upgrade often and used so many workarounds, it took forever to get a project edited.....thus here I am on a PC with Power Director.

Another question..... When I import camera footage via firewire, it goes in as Stereo so I can't choose which audio track is getting imported. But, I want to use just 1 audio track that had the eternal mic connected. Is there a way I can choose that track and dub it on the other track and get stereo sound all being the external mic audio?
Tks kindly,
Barb Barb

1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
[Post New]

Procurando tutorial ou informação sobre a edição de um casamento câmera de 2-/ recepção, utilizando PD10

I did some editing with two or more cameras,
see the image as was the timeline.

[Thumb - two cameras.jpg]
 Filename
two cameras.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1732 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2012 20:52

Jeremy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2013 10:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Fantastic you are all my heros.

I am totally new and thought for some reason that using two cameras was a good idea! oh what a steep learning curve! At last some clear instructions on how to solve this problem.
Jeremy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2013 10:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
ok one thing I don't get apparently

how do I display several things in the preview window at once? sorry newbie I know.
[Post New]
Quote: ok one thing I don't get apparently

how do I display several things in the preview window at once? sorry newbie I know.

Search this site titled "Creating a Video Wall"
I guess it's not exactly what you want, but the way to do this is

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/pdr/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2013 12:45

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate