Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu Designer - a feedback request for improvement
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi editors,
Please can you give some suggestions to improve Menu Designer?

This is not intended to be a thread for moaning, I want to take your feedback suggestions to CyberLink to improve PD.

Attach graphics, pass comments on ideas etc.

Thank you.

Forum Moderator

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 21. 2012 06:39

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
My first request would be for a choice between a Motion Thumbnail menu and a Text based Menu.

The menu I would like to see is one that has Text only links to chapters/titles.
I would like those links to be on the main menu page.

Also in all of the chapter/title/scenes pages.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2012 09:56

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I would like the option of having individual PIP objects for chapters, rather than having the same object for all chapters.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Meroveeus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2012 11:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
- Background Music shouldn't have a time limit
- When you get the error message that something is overlapping (buttons etc) when trying to burn - the program should show you where exactly the overlap is
- ability to have Motion Thumbnail menu without any text
Robin1944 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2012 07:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I would like to have a single menu page option for when I have more than one project to be burnt on a DVD. At present, it seems that if I have more than one project, I have to have two menu pages and the first project shows on both pages. Very irritating - or am I doing something wrong?
Berto2002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Southend-on-Sea, UK Joined: May 23, 2010 04:16 Messages: 74 Offline
[Post New]
Great thread; very needed. Agree with all above. Here are some ideas:

1. Sometimes I don't want a Play / Scenes screen, I just want to show my chapters straight away.

2. Be able to set the thumbnail (or start of the clip) when the disk is multiple imported PD projects (currently ignores chapter thumbnails

3. Allow more than six items on one screen

4. Show thumbnails/clips in widescreen in DVD menu builder if they are widescreen in the movie to avoid the current need for manual unmasking and resizing

5. Allow resizing of thumbnails in proportion, perhaps by holding down SHIFT (windows convention)

6. Alter the length of clips that can be shown

7. Have better compression options. For example if my video clocks in at 4800Mb I have only one option to get it down below 4700Mb for the disk; Smart Fit but that over compresses it down to 4100Mb and the result is bad. I want more flexibility; either a scalable compression or a choice of which bits I compress more or less

8. An option to make all the thumbnails the same size. At present can only align top bottom etc and guess the sizes

9. Menu editor window should be scalable (like any other window) so I can work full screen if needs be)

10. Currently, dragging an item in the menu designer or on the menu in edit is jerky; on grabbing the item, it does not come willingly; there's an element of review needed about how responsive the elements are to the controls applied to them by the user that needs improving

11. Allow the music of the background to play independently of the clip on any given DVD menu screen

I'll post some more if I come up against them. AMD Phenom II X6 1100XT
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB m/board
8GB Corsair Performance RAM
128GB OCX SATA-III SSD / 2TB SATA-III HDD
ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2048MB
LG blu-ray RW super drive
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
PowerDirector Ultra 13
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I prefer to sum up my preferences in a menu designer by siting examples of fairly good ones: A___ Premiere Elements, S__ Vegas Pro, C___ Video Studio. All of them have good examples of how a decent menu designer works. The one in PD is one of the simplest I've used to date but very limited in ability. Win 10, i7
Keckeson [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Dösjebro Sweden Joined: Jan 16, 2012 15:02 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hej Dafydd!
It is pleasing to You deals with the complex (at least for beginners) and locked menu program seriously. It is surprising that the otherwise talented program makers not succeeded with the menu system.

I recommend the program makers to take a look at Pinnacle 15, in their menu systems can be built totally free without complicated instructions (like CyberLink, in this case).

Otherwise, I fully agree with Carl312

Kenneth Keckeson
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
The menu of PD are complex, not working properly: fixed miniatures, back chapters etc. Need a manual much clearer. Pinnacle Studio is simple and functional, everything you see in the timeline.
Good idea to involve the editors, we hope to other topics. Regards, Eugene W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Another thing needs changing in the Powerdirector Menu system.

Powerdirector's menu on the player remote does not use the Main or DVD Menu button (the big button on most remotes).

Instead, to recall the Menu on DVD or BluRay, you have to use a small button on most remotes labeled either 'Title' or 'Top' Menu.

Powerdirector OEM Version 3 used the Main Menu button. I do not know why that was changed in later versions of Powerdirector.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
I would really like to see a properly functioning Return to Menu feature. (My apologies if this has been finally implemented in a recent build of PD 10, but my latest search suggests that it has not.)

I want to be able to create a DVD with a menu as follows:

1. Main page has two buttons. Button 1 says Play All, and selecting that plays all titles in order from first to last, and then returns to this main menu page. Button 2 says Select Title, and selecting that brings up a second menu page.

2. Second page has buttons for each of my titles (plus, of course, a button to navigate back to the main page). Selecting a button plays that title only and then returns to this second menu page to allow selection of another title.

It would be a bonus if subtitles could be turned on or off for individual titles chosen from my second page, but I would happily settle for Points 1 and 2 above!

Robert
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My first request would be for a choice between a Motion Thumbnail menu and a Text based Menu.

I'd like to add to that the ability to use a still (preferably selected from the timeline, rather than having to import a snapshot). Jerry Schwartz
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Great suggestions

Just my two cents worth.

Have more thumbnail options when burning Blu-Ray discs.

At the moment it is restricted to two (I think) Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

del23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2010 10:44 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
More control of the preview menu video. More modern templates that put affects on the preview video. Windows DVD maker has some templates like that. Some title templates that are animates or have better effects that could make
titles more interesting.
garylloyd1212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2012 18:55 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
Much to top heavy.

No basic and beautiful text and dvd menu options like windows Movie Maker.

Honestly, why am I using windows movie maker for my text and dvd choices when I own PD?

Since I don't use 50% of PD features I'd like to turn them off so it can run faster.

All the user text and menus are absolutely useless.

REMI-DAVID [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2010 20:31 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

A menu designer like the one on TMPGEnc Authoring Works would make me very happy !

But first there's a few things that I would like Cyberlink to fix on the current menu designer of PD10. I upgraded from PD8, and a few things are not working like they used to :

1- When designing motion on thumbnails, the video is always at 23.967 frame per seconds, even if the original video frame rate is at 29.97. That's not a problem I had with PD8. I don't think it's possible to change the frame rate of the thumbnail motion.

2- I don't know if the frame rate is causing the issue, but even though if I select the duration in the menu playback mode (I would like to have 15 seconds menu duration), I always end up with menu that are 19 seconds, and look to be in slo-motion. Not a problem I used to have with PD8.

3- The Navigation buttons cannot be updated. I created a menu template in PD8 that I'm still using in PD10, and in that menu I used the little 'Grey house' as my navigation buttons. Now, I tried everything, but the only highlight I can get is a lime-green color. I tried to change it several times, but it always comes back to that green color. I thought maybe it was because it was a template designed on PD8, so I re-did everything from scratch, but again if I use these navigation buttons, any highlight color I select will become lime-green. Plus, under PD10, the highlight also does kind of a black contour, which didn't happen in PD8, that I cannot remove even when removing all type of borders and shadows.

Now, there are a few things that are part of the current menu designer which never worked for me, under either PD8 or PD10 :

1- The text alignment is useless. Even when I click 'left' 'right' or 'center' it doesn't change anything.

2- Aligning a few items is not always exact. I will align 3 items when designing the menu, but when I'll use it, when selecting these 3 items at once and clicking on 'align bottom' will result in one of them moving.

3- Centering is not always working properly. When centering text, it's most likely going to be off.

4- Thumbnails are changing sizes when moving them in the screen. One example : I want 3 thumbnails by screen, with the second one right in the middle of the screen (and everything symmetric). So, if I have a video with 4 chapters, the second screen will have only 1 thumbnail, at the left side of the screen. If I click on 'align center' that thumbnail is not always the same size as the one from screen 1.

5- Moving things around and trying to set it at the same place under all menu pages is almost an impossible task.

What I really like about TMPGEnc menu designer is that the canvass is like a grid. If my menu is 1980X1080, then everyone one of these is a numerated pixel (X and Y axis) which makes it very easy to move things around, making sure it's the right size and at the right place. For every item on the canvass. I can see the location of the item, the length and width. That would be the most useful thing to add to PD10, imo.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Remi

Welcome to the volunteer forum

Some excellent suggestions.

Can you please copy this text and post to this dedicated thread

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22604.page

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]

PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
traney1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2010 15:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I'd love to be able to edit the main title in the menu, then have it "apply to all pages" instead of having to manually go through each menu and make the changes.

-For menus that are designed / come with PD10 and beyond....when I change the music the original music still plays for a short bit before my music actually kicks in. Please fix that.. =\
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Hi traney1

Welcome to the volunteer forum

Great comment.

As the members on this forum do not work for Cyberlink the Forum Moderator has created a thread for suggestions on the Create Disc Menu Designer.

If you wish to partake in these suggestion please use the link below - thanks

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22604.page

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 03. 2012 19:26

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel