Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Import Error
rhstarr358 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2012 16:48 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
When I try to import an AVI file into PowerDirector 9, I get the following error "An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason." The first file I tried came from Panasonic MotionDV Studio, and the second file I tried came from Nero Vision. I can play either one of those files with Divx, and the video's are fine. Any ideas.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I try to import an AVI file into PowerDirector 9, I get the following error "An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason." The first file I tried came from Panasonic MotionDV Studio, and the second file I tried came from Nero Vision. I can play either one of those files with Divx, and the video's are fine. Any ideas.

Powerdirector does not do AVI compressed with Divx.

You can convert the AVI compressed with Divx to another video format. Then Powerdirector can open the video.

Well, the 64 bit version of Powerdirector can not open Divx videos. 32 bit Powerdirector can with the Codec.
So far nobody has made a 64 bit codec for Divx.
rhstarr358 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The AVI files I tried to Import in PowerDirector were NOT compressed wit Divx, as I used a program from Panasonic named MotionDV Studio to capture the video from my DV camera. In my posting I just mentioned that I was able to play the captured video file in Divx, and also I could play it in Windows Media Player. Knowing that, do you still feel I cannot import that file. Also, I am using the 64bit version of PowerDirector.

If you feel I should convert the video file to something other than AVI, what medium would you recommend that would retain the best video for use in PowerDirector.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The AVI files I tried to Import in PowerDirector were NOT compressed wit Divx, as I used a program from Panasonic named MotionDV Studio to capture the video from my DV camera. In my posting I just mentioned that I was able to play the captured video file in Divx, and also I could play it in Windows Media Player. Knowing that, do you still feel I cannot import that file. Also, I am using the 64bit version of PowerDirector.

If you feel I should convert the video file to something other than AVI, what medium would you recommend that would retain the best video for use in PowerDirector.

What is the resolution and bit rate of the AVI files?

MediaInfo will tell you.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

You want to convert the AVI to a format that is equal in resolution and bit rate as close as possible to not lose quality.

AVCHD is is a good bet for HD videos.
Standard Definition videos are OK as MPEG-2 HQ.

There is one problem in Powerdiector, If the bit rate is too high, Powerdirector will not open the file.
Powerdirector will throw an error about not supporting that file, something about Codec or bad file.

If the bit rate over about 25-28 Mbps, PD may not open the file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 02. 2012 10:51

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rhstarr358 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I converted the AVI to Mpeg2, and could import it into PowerDirector. However, I can see where the video quality is not as crisp with the Mpeg2 verion as it is in the AVI file, when I played each of those in Windows Media Player.

The original AVI file was captured on another program from a DV camera. If I capture the video from the DV camera directly into PowerDirector, can I edit it and produce a DVD. Also, I'm using PowerDirector 9 64bit version, and was wondering if the AVI import problems is still there with newer versions of PowerDirector.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I converted the AVI to Mpeg2, and could import it into PowerDirector. However, I can see where the video quality is not as crisp with the Mpeg2 verion as it is in the AVI file, when I played each of those in Windows Media Player.

The original AVI file was captured on another program from a DV camera. If I capture the video from the DV camera directly into PowerDirector, can I edit it and produce a DVD. Also, I'm using PowerDirector 9 64bit version, and was wondering if the AVI import problems is still there with newer versions of PowerDirector.

What is the Brand and Model number of the DV camera?

Powerdirector can handle most all cameras. There are various ways to get the video from a camera to the computer.

Most cameras have a software for transfering video to the computer, the latest cameras, we use a card reader to read the Memory card and copy the video directly to the computer.

Many DV cameras can be captured in Powerdirector if you have the firewire cable from camera to computer.
You must read your camera manual on how to transfer the video to the computer.

AVI is a container. Powerdirector supports AVI except for Divx or Xvid.
Some editors have been able to import one of both of those formats. It depends on your system.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rhstarr358 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The DV camera is a Panasonic PV-GS250, which came with software for transferring to a PC. The software is named MotionDV Studio, and that is the software I used to capture the video, that gave me the AVI file that PowerDirector won't import. The camera has a fireware connection that I used to capture the video in MotionDV Studio. So if I connect the camera with firewire, I should be able to capture the video in PowerDirector, hence bypassing the import avi issue. Is that correct.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: The DV camera is a Panasonic PV-GS250, which came with software for transferring to a PC. The software is named MotionDV Studio, and that is the software I used to capture the video, that gave me the AVI file that PowerDirector won't import. The camera has a fireware connection that I used to capture the video in MotionDV Studio. So if I connect the camera with firewire, I should be able to capture the video in PowerDirector, hence bypassing the import avi issue. Is that correct.

That video should have worked.

You have to try the Capture module and see what happens. That is the only way I know to answer for sure.

There are several settings in Powerdirector Capture module that must be correct to see the video and sound.

There is a button labeled Profile, that sets the recording format, MPEG-2 DVD HQ is the best choice for the smallest and best quality files. There is a AVI choice also.

The Settings Button is the most important setup, you have to choice your video and audio source. You may need to play with the choices.

Be sure the camera is connected and playing a video.
The Capture module will not show anything if no video and audio signal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2012 22:11