Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best Quality of H.264 for YouTube?
[Post New]
I'll assume this question has been asked and answered even though I couldn't find anything in a "Search" of the forums.

I am producing a video for Youtube in 16:9.

Which of the following 1920 x 1080 profiles produces the best result?

I am not sure what the "50i" and "50p" mean, nor which is better. Same goes for the "(24 Mbps)" and "(28 Mbps)" though I assume the "28" is better.

Any input would be appreciated.

HighRise
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi:

First off, "i" stands for interlaced while "p" means progressive (http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/progressive_scan.htm).

The Mbps, megabits per second, figure is the data flow bitrate and yes, presumably, the higher this value, the better image quality. It could be useful to look at this in your source files. (However, you'll have to do this outside PowerDirector. The other day, I got a recommendation on this forum to use Splash Lite video player, which can show the video bitrate.) I think that PowerDirector can increase the bitrate but I doubt the image quality is actually very much increased by this.

I don't know any exact numbers but I suppose YouTube downgrades the image quality if it's too high. You might simply want to experiment with a short video and produce it using different profiles.

Have you considered using the YouTube upload feature in PowerDirector? A wmv file is produced in this process. Hopefully Cyberlink engineers optimized this choice from the quality and production time's points of view...
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
I did an upload to FaceBook using the built in direct to Facebook feature.

Works well The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I find that if you pload directly from PD10 to you tube you get good quality, but it is a predetermined resolution, where as if you upload through your browser from a saveed format you can get a higher resolution by selecting your preferred resolution.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Well, there are only a handful of predetermined resolutions available on YouTube and the choice of those within the YouTube upload feature in PowerDirector simply match them. 1920x1080 is included...
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Highrise

The information below comes direct from Youtube:

Supported YouTube formats
YouTube supports a wide variety of the range of video formats in use. You can get a quick overview of what may be an issue with your video's formatting by taking a look at the warnings and error messages that we communicate to you while you're uploading your video.

Here is a list of some well-known formats that YouTube supports:

WebM files - Vp8 video codec and Vorbis Audio codecs
MPEG4, 3GPP and MOV files - Typically supporting h264, mpeg4 video codecs, and AAC audio codec
AVI - Many cameras output this format - typically the video codec is MJPEG and audio is PCM
MPEGPS - Typically supporting MPEG2 video codec and MP2 audio
WMV
FLV - Adobe-FLV1 video codec, MP3 audio
Here is a list of some common formats that YouTube does NOT support:

Project files: No project files of any kind are acceptable. It is generally very easy to convert project files to a supported format.
MSWMM and WLMP: You can easily convert these project files to .WMV.
Audio files (MP3, WAV, etc.) and Image files (JPG, PNG, etc.): Convert these files to video slideshows.
More

I personally use the same as the source files - mostly AVCHD

Youtube does re-render/re-produce your videos that you upload but I'm not sure to what profile Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

[Post New]
Youtube transcodes to 1080 P30 at 6mbps mp4, 720 P30 at 3mbps mp4, and lower resolutions I did not check.

[Post New]
Thanks guys for all the info. I really appreciate it.

HighRise