Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can you edit MTS files?
SLC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2012 19:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I am interested in this software, but before I purchase, I have a few questions.

I downloaded the trial version, but it does not let me do the following - will the full version once I purchase?

My digital camera takes HD video as MTS files (they call this AVCHD). I brought the MTS files onto my computer. I would like to open the MTS file in the editor, clip it, merge it and overlay text over it. Not a title, but text to stay throughout the video. I have figured that part out and was able to do this with a MOV file, but will I be able to do this with a MTS file?

Would I need the deluxe or ultra version?

I also have a mini DV camcorder that I will hook up and import as video. I don't have an HD camera as of yet, but may someday get one.

Anyway, before I purchase, will I be able to do this? Right now I have Pinnacle, and for some reason when I bring in the MTS video and render it, it sounds okay, but the video is superfast and they have no technical support that I can find. Plus, it now won't even open on my PC (I did this through my laptop).

ETA: I have another question. If I purchase this and it does not do what I need, can I "return" it or uninstall it or whatever and get a refund?

Can someone help, thanx!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2012 19:10

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I am interested in this software, but before I purchase, I have a few questions.

I downloaded the trial version, but it does not let me do the following - will the full version once I purchase?

My digital camera takes HD video as MTS files (they call this AVCHD). I brought the MTS files onto my computer. I would like to open the MTS file in the editor, clip it, merge it and overlay text over it. Not a title, but text to stay throughout the video. I have figured that part out and was able to do this with a MOV file, but will I be able to do this with a MTS file?

I also have a mini DV camcorder that I will hook up and import as video. I don't have an HD camera as of yet, but may someday get one.

Anyway, before I purchase, will I be able to do this? Right now I have Pinnacle, and for some reason when I bring in the MTS video and render it, it sounds okay, but the video is superfast and they have no technical support that I can find. Plus, it now won't even open on my PC (I did this through my laptop).

ETA: I have another question. If I purchase this and it does not do what I need, can I "return" it or uninstall it or whatever and get a refund?

Can someone help, thanx!

Yes, the full paid Powerdirector Ultra 64 edits AVCHD .MTS files. And you can add titles or subtitle. What you want text that shows in the whole video is a 'Title' in Powerdirector terminology.

The Ultra version is the full 64 Bit version, Deluxe is less than full and it is a 32 Bit program.
Deluxe does not burn Blu-Ray Disks.

Comparison of the Powerdirector 10 versions.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/compare_en_US.html

We are not Cyberlink support, but Cyberlink does offer a 30 day refund.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
However in the meantime to keep trying out the trial, use Format Factory (free) to convert your MTS file to any other format you want so you can keep going until you decide what you want to do with PD... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
SLC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanx!

So I should definitely have no problem bringing in a MTS video, editing it, exporting it and it will play fine? NO matter what I export it as (MPEG2 or MPEG4 or whatever)?

Just want to make sure as stated above, through Pinnacle, the video plays super fast.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanx!

So I should definitely have no problem bringing in a MTS video, editing it, exporting it and it will play fine? NO matter what I export it as (MPEG2 or MPEG4 or whatever)?

Just want to make sure as stated above, through Pinnacle, the video plays super fast.

If you post a 5 to 10 second sample from you camera, somebody in the forum can test it on their paid version of PD 10 Ultra.

Use PostReply button, blue attachments button below the text box.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2012 10:36

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
All I can tell you what few mts clips I have played with, handle like my normal mp4 clips for me....

The text (title) thing you want to do is easy...

Provided your computer can handle it.....

But get the ultra and I recommend the download version not boxed.... and as soon as you install it get the latest update patch.

There will be more than one file to download.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2012 11:45

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
SLC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

But get the ultra and I recommend the download version not boxed.... and as soon as you install it get the latest update patch.

Why get the downloaded version?

I was going to get the boxed version because in another year or so I am going to get a new PC. And I would also like to put it on my laptop as well.

Does the boxed version not contain the same program? I can always download the patch after I install.

Please let me know the reason, thanx!

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to test a MTS clip for me? I can make a short recording and email it.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Why get the downloaded version?

I was going to get the boxed version because in another year or so I am going to get a new PC. And I would also like to put it on my laptop as well.

Does the boxed version not contain the same program? I can always download the patch after I install.

Please let me know the reason, thanx!

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to test a MTS clip for me? I can make a short recording and email it.

If you want the clip tested, just attach it to this forum.

To attach files to this forum, use the PostReply Button not the Quick Reply button. There is a Blue Attachments button below the text box when you use the PostReply button.

Shoot a 5 to 10 second video with your camera and attach it to this forum.

If you go for the downloaded version, be sure to burn a data DVD of the downloaded files and your email you get with the CD key and proof of purchase.

The download is only available for a short time, so you must keep a copy of the downloaded files if you ever want to re-install or move to another computer.

The only advantage I see in the downloaded version, is you get the latest release. Where the Boxed version may be a earlier release. Personally I do the Boxed version. You can get free patches on the Cyberlink web site.

The patches are here:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Because with the boxed version more people have problems with that... and you still will have to update it anyway.... (even with the download) Also no difference if you want to install later all you have to do is save it to CD like any other files you would save to CD.....

We see more people with problems installing the boxed version than download version, AND with the download version you have it in about 30 minutes depending on your internet speed.

I never do boxed version anymore if download is available...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2012 21:54

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
Doug Paradis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2019 13:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I am interested in this software, but before I purchase, I have a few questions.

Can someone help, thanx!

I have PowerDirector Ultra version 17 and it will not work with .MTS files generated from a Canon Vixia HFS100 video camera. It will give a Media Source Error [Error Code 2] when the video file is on the timeline. This really stinks. I suggest trying another program if you use a video camera instead of a phone. There are work arounds that involve converting the files to another format, but you lose time and have to store the new files.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have PowerDirector Ultra version 17 and it will not work with .MTS files generated from a Canon Vixia HFS100 video camera. It will give a Media Source Error [Error Code 2] when the video file is on the timeline.

PD shouldn't have any problems working with MTS files, especially from Canon Vixias as I've been using that combination since 2011.

Rather than posting on a dead 6-year-old thread, you should start a new thread in the PD17/365 forum after following the steps listed in the Read Me Before Posting sticky. That's the best way to get the volunteer community's help.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°