Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quickie question- MPEG2 or AVI?
Viajerozz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 09:12 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I am still trying to sort out all the different video file formats and sort out the best quality/file size considerations before I start converting dozens of old VHS video tapes to digital. One kind soul here advised that Mpeg2 was a good format to Capture a VHS tape at, due to inherent bad quality of VHS tapes anyway. Can you tell me, if file size is not a consideration, is the AVI format "lossless" in that it preserves the original quality of the VHS tape?

Also, in the course of my reading, I read that Mpeg2 video files are not editable. Huh? Is that true? It can't be or why would that be one of only 3 options (AVI, Mpeg1 and Mpeg2) in PD10 for Capturing?

Sorry for simpleton questions but I would hate to spend weeks transferring tapes only to find out I should have done this or that:
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Viajerozz ,
Stick with mpeg2. You're not going to improve the video quality beyond mpeg2 for VHS footage.

Mpeg2 files are editable.

Dafydd
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am still trying to sort out all the different video file formats and sort out the best quality/file size considerations before I start converting dozens of old VHS video tapes to digital. One kind soul here advised that Mpeg2 was a good format to Capture a VHS tape at, due to inherent bad quality of VHS tapes anyway. Can you tell me, if file size is not a consideration, is the AVI format "lossless" in that it preserves the original quality of the VHS tape?

Also, in the course of my reading, I read that Mpeg2 video files are not editable. Huh? Is that true? It can't be or why would that be one of only 3 options (AVI, Mpeg1 and Mpeg2) in PD10 for Capturing?

Sorry for simpleton questions but I would hate to spend weeks transferring tapes only to find out I should have done this or that:

All of the video formats you have mentioned are editable. Powerdirector will edit all of those formats.

As to AVI vs Mpeg2 HQ, is a matter of taste. The best way to decide on your archive format is to try both formats on the same material and see if you like one over the other.

Mpeg2 has several quality settings and you must use the highest quality format (HQ). HQ is 720x480 @ about 8000 Kbps.

I have done all of my Video Tape transfers as either a DVD or MPEG2 HQ capture.
The capture device I use is a stand alone VHS/DVD recorder that transfers VHS video tape to a DVD disk.

I also have a PCI capture card in the computer that captures VHS video tape via a VCR playback machine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2012 11:34

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 09:12 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the good advice. You read so much conflicting opinion on the internet it makes it hard for a novice. I thought I saw a slightly better quality when I captured into AVI form so I was thinking, I might as well capture to that and then Produce to Mpeg2 as long as the Mpeg2 is editable in the future. This excellent support on this forum is the main reason I chose PD10.
Alan Tse [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2013 21:45 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
All of the video formats you have mentioned are editable. Powerdirector will edit all of those formats.

As to AVI vs Mpeg2 HQ, is a matter of taste. The best way to decide on your archive format is to try both formats on the same material and see if you like one over the other.

Mpeg2 has several quality settings and you must use the highest quality format (HQ). HQ is 720x480 @ about 8000 Kbps.

The capture device I use is a stand alone VHS/DVD recorder that transfers VHS video tape to a DVD disk.

I also have a PCI capture card in the computer that captures VHS video tape via a VCR playback machine.

What PCI capture card are you using?
Or can you suggest a capture card for that purpose at a price ~$70?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

What PCI capture card are you using?
Or can you suggest a capture card for that purpose at a price ~$70?

The card in my computer is Kworld ATSC-110.
It is discontinued now.

I would suggest a capture device from Hauppauge.
Forum rules do not allow me to post a direct link.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.