Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HELP!! Trying to watch m2ts file on tv
Rkk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2012 15:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, am pretty new to the topic of video editing, codecs, ...
I have managed to use PD10 to produce a m2ts file that looks perfectly fine on my PC. I have used the profile/quality "AVC 1920x1080/50p (28Mbps)" when producing the file, since the source files were mts files from a Panasonic HD camcorder. The challenge I now have is to find a way to get this file displayed as good on my TV (Samsung c6710). What are the settings I have to use when creating a DVD (that is to be used with a blue ray player since I have no Blue Ray burner) via PD 10. All the settings I have used so far lead to inferior quality (skipping of frames?,...) compared to the m2ts file.

I also get these inferior results when watching the m2ts file via WD TV live player (using different settings 60 Hz, 50 Hz,...).

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would be greaty appreciated.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rkk -

You're on the right track to getting the best video possible. The choices you've made are excellent.

If you want your video to look crisp & clean on your TV, the best options are (in approximate order of quality - top down):

1. Copy the m2ts file to a USB storage device - plug in ito you TV or BR/DVD player & play! (if you have a USB input for that purpose)
2. Plug your USB device into a media player connected with HDMI cable & watch it through that
3. Burn a BR disc... but you have no burner
4. ** Burn an AVCHD DVD & watch it on your BR/PS3 player
5. Burn a standard DVD

I'm surprised you're not getting excellent results playing through your WD Live TV media player!

** Using a standard DVD, go to Create Disc - select (Disc Type) AVCHD > (Profile) 1920x1080 60i - burn & play in BR player

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
If you are experiencing choppy video, I'm wondering if the 28mbps option is correct. I'm three weeks or so into pd10 so am quite new as you are, but I found matching a bitrate to that of the original video file solved a lot of quality issues.

Check your Mbps rate in the properties of the original movie file. You may find the same profile with the 24mbts works better?? The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
BillHansen [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 03, 2012 12:43 Messages: 178 Offline
[Post New]
Tony - I replying to RKKs question, you recommended:
Using a standard DVD, go to Create Disc - select (Disc Type) AVCHD > (Profile) 1920x1080 60i - burn & play in BR player

Isn't there an option to burn AVCHD in 60p? (I thought there was, but just now,checking my PD10 with a clip produced in H.264 1920X1080 60p, I see only a 60i option in Create Disc/2D Disc.)

Bill Hansen Bill Hansen
Rkk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2012 15:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

one of the reasons I picked the PD 10 product was the excellent contributors in this forum!!!

The options 1-2 described by Tony are currently being tried by me.

Regarding option 1 I already have a question into Samsung for an "official" statement from them if/how they support m2ts files, since the m2ts files are not found in their directory on the USB drive when I try to access them via the USB port on my Samsung TV. I will post the feedback from Samsung as soon as I have it.

Regarding option 2 I have a question based on the feedback from Tony and Loveclose.
The video source files that make up my movie have the following properties.
VIDEO:
- Type: H.246 AVC
- Bitrate: 15.91 Mbps
- Resolution: 1920*1080
- Framerate: 25 fps
- 16:9
- Interlacing

Based on these properties what is the fileformat (AVC?, MPEG-4?, MOV?,..) and corresponding profile that should be picked when producing with PD 10? And what would be the corresponding setting (if not AUTO) that I would have to select on the WD TV Live box?

Regards,
RKK
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
RKK -

WD Live TV
According to the manual & the WD website, the supported video formats are...

● AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)

... so the format you're using should be OK. The MPEG-4 profile below would be fine too.

Samsung TV USB Playback
It's surprising the .m2ts files aren't recognised! If the manual give you no clues, I guess you'd need to wait for a response from Samsung.

Given that the Samsung isn't recognising the .m2ts files, I'd try producing in MPEG-4 Best Quality. It closely matches the properties of your original clips. The default bitrate is 13MBps, but you can customise that to match your original clips (16MBps) by clicking the + button. You didn't mention the audio bitrate, but that's customisable too.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I use both of the items mentioned. The Samsung TV and most other TV will not play m2ts files very well or at all. They will play mpeg2 HD video however. The WD Live unit plays BOTH formats beautifully.

When trying to determine the best "rendering" option using "Intelligent SVRT" in the Produce tab in PD10 gives you a good clue. Win 10, i7
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When trying to determine the best "rendering" option using "Intelligent SVRT" in the Produce tab in PD10 gives you a good clue.

Agree with that, even if you then decide not to use the Intelligent SVRT afterwards. I found I had mixed results with SVRT, but it did pick a rendering option in the way described here. The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
Grab [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2015 01:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
To play M2TS on TV, we had better convert M2TS to TV more supported video format.

iDealshare VideoGo can convert all kinds of M2TS, M2T, MTS, AVCHD, MKV files to TV supported format.

You may find it at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/avchd-samsung-tv.html
Alleyn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2017 01:50 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
With iDealshare VideoGo you can easily convert m2ts file to TV more supporting format with high video quality so as to play AVCHD on TVs.

Besides, iDealshare VideoGo can also convert FLV, SWF, MOV, VOB, MXF, DVR, RMVB, DV, MKV, MP4, MVI and etc to TV supporting video format.