Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Time spent editing projects
CHRISTY63 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 27, 2012 14:31 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
This is kind of off-topic but kind of not, either way, I hope the Mods don't get mad at me for posting this here..

I know that many of PD10 users use it for some semi-professional editing, I think. I'm wondering time-wise how long it takes fellow users to edit video to say a typical hour or so of finished video. Granted I've had a learning curve and some media issues, but I haven't included that mess in my billable hours.

Final project is 3.33 hours long with Titles, chapters, menus, edits, etc.

Time spent editing/producing was 22.25 hours! Does that seem like a lot?

I'm just wondering if others take this long or am I exceptionally slow? HPg72 laptop...
Processor:Intel Core i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40 Ghz
Win 7 SP1 - 64-bit OS
4 gig RAM (3.8 useable)
Cyberlink PD10 specs:
PD Ultra 10.0.0.1129b for 64 bit system
faceless [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2012 23:05 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
it depends on the amount of edits and clips that you're sorting. Some people might make quick imprecise cuts, but if you've spent the time to make it perfect then that will take a fair bit longer.

I recently spent about 15 hours on a 90 second video (lots of overlays, pips etc.
CHRISTY63 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So 22 hours doesn't seem out of line?

However, last year we only billed 7.5 hours... it was done on Movie Maker though. I think the most we can bill for is going to be 10-12 max. HPg72 laptop...
Win 7 SP1 - 64-bit OS
4 gig RAM (3.8 useable)
Cyberlink PD10 specs:
faceless [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2012 23:05 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
The problem is in what the customer was expecting to pay. It's best to give an estimate up front, but you'll know that for next time.

For the sake of future business, I might cut my losses and go for about 12.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Christy -

It really is an unanswerable question...

As faceless said, it's totally dependent on the complexity of the project. Simple in-line things can be put together in not much time. Complex sequences can take yonks!

Members can't really advise you about your fee structure. If what you're doing is fairly predictable, you can base it on run time. Otherwise, you should base it on hourly rate.

I'm sure the moderator would have some pointers. I'm equally certain that this thread will eventually be sin-binned!

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CHRISTY63 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Basically, how long did it take vs. how long SHOULD it have TAKEN? Yeah, can't really bill for my ignorance and ineptitude. The project involved seaming together video clips, titles, menus, etc. HPg72 laptop...
Win 7 SP1 - 64-bit OS
4 gig RAM (3.8 useable)
Cyberlink PD10 specs:
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I think the more people do video services, the more they rely on the same format/tricks/formula to cut time in post.
Post is a killer. You need to be familiar with almost every frame, and exactly how bad is your compulsion to be PERFECT? You like sitting at the computer making $4/hour?
This is a scary topic for the billing department. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Well I know nothing about video production...but I can spend 6- 7 hrs on just the home videos I have...and still not be satisfied...but I create a project in PD10 then create my own menu system, all my own graphics for the projects...all my chapter images etc etc...so if I was to do for a living I would starve as the clients couldn't afford the time spent.
Then you have to take into account the final burning..if you have a slow system there is another 1-3 hrs you can't use you computer...
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Let's also take into account re runs when something goes wrong in the edit and has to be redone??

Hmmmmmmn! The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I have found that if you want to make that one special video the time spent in editing is unlimited. There is always one more tweak or composition change, etc etc.

I rarely make those types of videos anymore and my 180+ videos on youtube are now a set formula of capture the emotion rather than the fantastic special effect, simple fades, 5-8 minutes long. Even this can take me 3-4 hours of editing.

One thing you will notice if you have to re-do a video it is much faster as all of the decisions of layout etc have been made, so it is just a matter of the physics of editing. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
CHRISTY63 [Avatar]
[Post New]
$4 an hour?! We're charging more like $50 an hour but we're/I'm also keeping an eye out for pipeline leaks, matching up GPS overlay to location data that need to be labeled... what I do is in no way artsy at all, but more technical.

I would never be satisfied if I did artsy stuff and I would never get up from my desk. Same reason I can't do website layout. HPg72 laptop...
Win 7 SP1 - 64-bit OS
4 gig RAM (3.8 useable)
Cyberlink PD10 specs:
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Good editing starts while shooting the video. Good videographers have a storyline in their mind before they press the "Rec" button.

Ofcourse this will not apply to candid videos

One can save hours by planning
what to shoot,when to shoot and how much to shoot.

Best videos will have straight cuts or crossfades.

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Bab - I'm sure Christy has that advice in mind when recording what's happening in the pipelines!!!
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Well well ynotfish,it that case she should enjoy editing all the more PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
CHRISTY63 ...................

Time is commodity which when cashed in has different value to different people .... why worry about how long it takes to do a project.... Some I do only takes a few minutes, some takes me 2 months....

Does it really matter how long it takes as long as it gets done? You get paid by the hour or something? Since thee are no two projects alike ever made....

What I want to know.... is what audience do you have that will sit still and watch a 3 1/2 hour long video? And what size was the final product. I try not to make proj3ects over 1 1/2 hours because that is the tolerance level of most audiences when it comes to home movie type projects, even ones made specifically for a business or organization.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
CHRISTY63 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Problem is I've got pilots (not videographers) shooting the video and the pipeline stuff is mainly documentation for Federal regulations.

I've thought about shooting the video myself, but considering that the video is shot from a helicopter and you spend your time looking down at a screen to monitor what is actually being recorded... well, let's just say that not everyone has the stomach for it. HPg72 laptop...
Win 7 SP1 - 64-bit OS
4 gig RAM (3.8 useable)
Cyberlink PD10 specs: