Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing a clip - is this the right way to do this?
bryanbloom
Newbie Location: San Diego Joined: Feb 28, 2012 20:28 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Please don't get mad at the newbie! I could not be sure I am doing this properly.

Say you have a video clip, 3 minutes long. It is an interview and you bring it into PD.

Now you begin to edit it, specifically take out the parts of the 3 minutes that aren't relevant so you end up with the 1 minute that you want to keep.

What I am doing is letting it play, stopping it as close to the place in the clip I want to cut, splitting the clip, then cutting that part out, which leaves me with 2 clips... I keep doing this until I end up with many smaller clips....

Is this the right way to do this? Once I cut out the parts I don't want, they are gone... is that bad? Or is there a better way to do this, to mark it or is that what keyframes are for? If anyone can assit me or let me know if there is a video tutorial on this, I really appreciate it.

Everyone in this forum is really helpful!! Thanks.

Bryan Bloom Bryan Bloom
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bryan

The way you describe it is exactly the same way I do it

Our friends at PDToots have two tutorials on the basics of PD. Even though they are using PD8 the basics apply to PD10

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/9/jXG2jDTHyKw

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/8/ccSNU_Z7BRc

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bryan and welcome to the PD forum. There are more complicated ways of doing what you are doing with the split function. I do exactly what you do using the split function and find it suits my KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I'm with you Robert & Neil.

I keeping it simple!

Using the Trim function allows you to go back & modify, but I barely touch it. You're on the right track Bryan - never be afraid to ask questions!

Cheers - Tony

Note to Carl: ♥ = Alt+3 (num pad)
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
bryanbloom
Newbie Location: San Diego Joined: Feb 28, 2012 20:28 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
OK thanks so much, I think I like the trim function simply because I might cut too much out, or something that I want back in later...

One more question, is there a way to hear the track in slow motion? What I mean is when you are trying to edit to a really close frame area, you are playing the track at full speed to hear it.. then you have to be quick on the trigger to stop it and cut... if I could play it in slow motion or use a toggle to do that and hear it, I would be able to do this more accurately, can you do that?

Thanks again! Bryan Bloom
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Bryan -

No - you cannot "hear" the clip in slow motion...

BUT you can
1. expand the timeline out to frame level (!)
2. advance the clip forward one frame at a time using the >/. key (or back using the </, key) to get the scrubber exactly where you want
- N.B. if you're editing by the audio, the wave form (if it's displaying accurately) can help too - look for the peaks

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2012 20:54

PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
One other tip is if you find you split too much off a clip or not enough you can always drag the end of the clip (double arrows) to lengthen or shorten the clip.

This works both ways on the clip left of the split but only shortens for the clip on the right of the split, unless you move the clip down the time line a bit to give you some room to extend it longer. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn