Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDVD 11 errors after installing new radeon HD 6770
123datman [Avatar]
Newbie Location: chicago Joined: Jan 25, 2009 03:14 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I got a new panny 55GT30 plasma TV so I had to get a new player and got PDVD11. It does not play smooth so I thought it was my OB graphics ATI 4200. I pulled a ATI 3800 card out of another computer and PDVD 11 played smooth but looked a little grainy.

So I bought a new Asus HD 6770 GC figuring it would fix everything but with the new card install I get a "microsoft windows Power DVD has stopped working error".

And I just dicovered my old PDVD 9 will not play smooth with this new card.

Are there any known issues with the 6XXX series ATI/AMD graphics cards?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2012 00:07

don't know
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I pulled the card and everything is fine. I will be returning that one.

Any suggestions on an ATI card that works well for around $100 +/- ? don't know
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2011 16:24 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I use the Sapphire Radeon HD5450. It plays blu rays and I get the lossless audio too. I set the display format to 1080p24 in the ccc settings to get smooth playback.
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Mark. I ordered one after rebate it's only $19

The other was to new and might have worked after an update or 2 don't know
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I have a few questions to ask. I’m back watching from the onboard graphics card and PDVD11 as before will not play smooth. So while using my old player that does play pretty smooth I have been trying to figure out the todo about the 24p vs. 60 Hz video card setting.

It seems to me that 24p is better but has this shutter thing that happens every moment or so. The 60 Hz has fewer shutters but has a kind of dizzy effect from motion sort of like hand held video camera effect.

I have read that there is a problem that stems from the 24p film frame rate is not a multiple of 60 and the computer has to reset itself. So it is a glitch that you have to live with.

Any suggestions about this issue would be greatly appreciated. And next week when I get my Sapphire Radeon HD5450 hopefully will solve my problem with pdvd 11,
don't know
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I don’t think I can get this to work. All of this is because I got a new TV that has 3D. So I wanted a HDMI 1.4a graphics card. This would be the 4th card I considered. One 6770 I returned a 5450 I refused a 6450 I canceled and this 6770 is not working correctly with PDVD 11. I think perhaps I should cut my losses and give up on 3D and go back to the OB 4200.

For what it’s worth I downloaded the trial PDVD 12 and I hate it I can’t get it to play anything. I had to click on the folders until I got to the stream folder and clicked one of the movie files and it failed just like 11. PDVD 12 looks like it will not play folders, ISOs or any discs.

And just for the heck of it I tried TMT 5 as long as I have the card install let check all options. I don’t like it either. I can’t get it to work either. I think there are issues on some systems with the 6xxx cards.
don't know
TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
You have a strange situation - either some bad software configuration or bad hardware compatibility (TV?). Might be time for a clean install of windows and your software, especially if you have a fairly clean image from before you started trying different cards and software.
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You have a strange situation - either some bad software configuration or bad hardware compatibility (TV?). Might be time for a clean install of windows and your software, especially if you have a fairly clean image from before you started trying different cards and software.

I'm way ahead of you. I just did that. It dawned on me, tomorrow I need to call gigabyte to see if there is a bios update. I'm going to give this card every chance. don't know
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You have a strange situation - either some bad software configuration or bad hardware compatibility (TV?). Might be time for a clean install of windows and your software, especially if you have a fairly clean image from before you started trying different cards and software.

Very good call, I got the same error from a backup from last April. I didn't have to work today so last night I already had the 6770 boxed up, so I put it in a different computer with a similar build. It worked.

I couldn’t leave it alone. I tinkered around and ended up doing a complete restore fresh copy of windows from the ground up.

Well it’s working now Ye Ha. It’s a good thing to because Newegg was not going to play nice about the return.

There must have been some error that never surfaced until I put this card in. I made my Image backups now. This system will be foolproof until I upgrade the MB.

I still have one area of weirdness. If I have it set for 8 speakers my back channel get no audio. When I set it to 6 my back channel works. That’s not a software error. It’s some kind of a bug between the 6770 and my Asus xonar hdav1.3 deluxe audio card.

I’m just glad I got it to work.
don't know
TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Might be software. Is this problem in both Dolby and DTS or only DTS? I've heard of DTS 7.1 problems with PowerDVD. I don't run 7.1, so no personal experience. I'm glad you have the basic system working.
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Might be software. Is this problem in both Dolby and DTS or only DTS? I've heard of DTS 7.1 problems with PowerDVD. I don't run 7.1, so no personal experience. I'm glad you have the basic system working.

It happens with every format. I even bought a Disney Wow disc and it has a discrete 7.1 audio setup. I get no back ch when set to 8 speakers and I get the back when set to 6 sp. If I use my OEM TMT 3 that came with my Asus xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe. I do get a discrete back ch.

I made some observations. When I use TMT3 that is suppose to support full bandwidth audio 24/192 via analogs with my audio card. I get a discrete back channel with no audio bleed into the sides or from the sides to the back. When I use PDVD11 I do get this bleed effect but when I isolate just the back ch I can’t say there is any difference between TMT3 and pdvd11. So that would leave me to believe that even though I’m getting this bleed effect in my side and back channels the sound is essentially accurate. That being said pdvd11 clearly sounds better there is considerably more details that I don’t hear in tmt3.

I figure it’s an odd glitch with my audio card and it maybe fixed in an update or 2.

More good news I installed CCC 12.2 drivers and that may have fixed the remainder of the motion problems. The handful of movies I tested tonight all worked perfect without the use of reclock. I know that no sooner than when I start thinking I got it figured out that the error reappears.
don't know
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

please also check the compatible Audio devices on this page:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/spec_en_US.html

HD Audio Compatible Sound Card and Codec List
•Realtek ALC679X (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-6 channels)
•Realtek ALC898 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-8 channels)
•Realtek ALC899 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-8 channels)
•Realtek ALC672 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-6 channels)
•Realtek ALC885 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-channels or 96kHz/24bit 4-8 channels)
•Realtek ALC889 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-channels or 96kHz/24bit 4-8 channels)
•Realtek ALC669 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 6 channels)
•Realtek ALC670 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 6 channels)
•Realtek ALC892 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8 channels)
•VIA EnvyHD Vinyl VT1818S codec (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8-channels)
•VIA EnvyHD Vinyl VT1828S codec (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8-channels)
•VIA EnvyHD Vinyl VT2020 codec (support up to 192kHz/24bit 8-channels)
•Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD (supports HDMI 1.3a bit-stream lossless pass-through)
•AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 Series graphics cards supporting lossless pass-through
•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 Series graphics cards supporting lossless pass-through
•Intel Core i3/i5/i7 with integrated audio and graphics

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Michael,

No my audiocard is not on that list. That's why I'm not to worried about it. I have been very happy with the way this card sounds. I have to use analogs I have a very highend pre/pro Bryston sp 1.7 and it does not have HDMI. don't know
123datman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I retried the trial version of 12 and it does the same thing in regards to the back channel. As I said I can play a movie and have only the back speaker playing. To me all the back channel is on any sound track, the summed of both right and left sides creating a sort of dolby matix. Perhaps there will be some discrete impulses on some movies. That with my setup will not be perfectly balanced. I doubt that anyone or even I will be able to hear.

I'm not having any of the problems I had when I first tried 12. That was just a case of me not knowing the program and being overwhelmed with my other computer issues. That being said I'm not seeing any benefit in upgrading. If there was analog support for my audio card http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_HDAV13_Deluxe/ I'm sure I would.

Michael there is one small issue I have if my wife or I am watching a movie and I load either a disc or ISO file. The playback stops and the new movie is loaded. Often I’m only setting up the next movie and have to go back and reload the movie to resume playback. I would like it to do nothing when loaded. I have windows set to take no action for everything and both 11 and 12 do this.

Thanks

I take that back 12 does not reload the movei

one more edit. After playing around with the true theater and Dolby prologic 2 effects they will produce a back channel but it get down sampled to 16bits

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2012 12:58

don't know