Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 12 won't play mp3 or Flac audio
carlolsen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2012 23:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I'm experiencing a problem I've never had with previous versions of PDVD..I cannot play back audio files, whether mp3, Flac or even WAV.
PowerDVD 11 still plays all of them OK as I didn't uninstall it.
The problem started when I imported my files into the library. PDVD12 crashed partly through the music import and from that point on wouldn't play audio-only files. (Strangely, HD audio is fine on Blu-Ray discs)
I uninstalled the program, clearing my settings and reinstalled and playback was OK..until I imported my music files again when I had the same problem.
I'm mystified because Winamp, TMT5 and WMP all play the same files without problems..and so does PDVD12.
Any ideas?
carlolsen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2012 23:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I forgot to add..When I try to play ANY audio file I get the message
powerdvd 12 does not support the playback of this media format
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

welcome to the PowerDVD 12 Forum - please check the PowerDVD 12 must have read thread first, thanks

Some additional questions:
- can you playback those files using the "My Computer" Category by manually starting the playback form the file location instead using the Libary?
- can you provide sample files?

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
itami03 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 12, 2011 02:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
what worked for me is going to settings > audio > current settings and it worked for me.

i had in 2 speakers for some reason and cause of that the player kept telling my mp3 files are not supported
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm experiencing a problem I've never had with previous versions of PDVD..I cannot play back audio files, whether mp3, Flac or even WAV.
PowerDVD 11 still plays all of them OK as I didn't uninstall it.
The problem started when I imported my files into the library. PDVD12 crashed partly through the music import and from that point on wouldn't play audio-only files. (Strangely, HD audio is fine on Blu-Ray discs)
I uninstalled the program, clearing my settings and reinstalled and playback was OK..until I imported my music files again when I had the same problem.
I'm mystified because Winamp, TMT5 and WMP all play the same files without problems..and so does PDVD12.
Any ideas?

I am having a similar problem,,I cannot play mp3 files. I have tried to convert them to different sample rates but it doen't want to work. Can anyone tell me what the mp3 sample rate is for DVD12 ?

I can add to this. On one of my computers I have 2 Win 7 operating systems. One I keep just for testing and the other development. I have PowerDVD 12 on both, one plays MP3's and the other doesn't ! I sure would like to know why .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2013 11:33

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
We would also if you find a difference. Do you have the latest version of Quicktime on both? Are you testing both with the same file?
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: We would also if you find a difference. Do you have the latest version of Quicktime on both? Are you testing both with the same file?

Thanks for ideas, but no luck I tried updating Quicktime, but it said it has latest etc..and yes I play the same mp3. A real puzzle, but I shall continue to try and find an answer. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi kingsmeadow,
do you use any "system improvement Software"
some products may cause trouble in the registry settings and decoders in PowerDVD.

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Hi kingsmeadow,
do you use any "system improvement Software"
some products may cause trouble in the registry settings and decoders in PowerDVD.

br
Michael

Only software I can think of that might be in that category is Ccleaner, which I use for tidying up, but to my knowledge I have no other background software running. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
CCleaner does have a registry cleaner built in. Do you use that part of the application? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: CCleaner does have a registry cleaner built in. Do you use that part of the application?

yes I do...Perhaps I need to uninstall and re-install ?? Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Well I have re-installed PowerDVD 12 and it still will not play MP3 files. I tried many different MP3 formats, but just comes back with " This format is not recognized by power dvd "

...and yet PD11 and PD 12 on the same installation will play MP3 files.

I'm thinking hard as what to try next

Well here is what I tried. I downloaded PowerDVD 13 and it wouldn't play MP3 files either ! In fact I have discovered that they will only play AC3 files !! Now that has to be a clue. I tried wav, wmv, etc and none would play.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 13. 2013 12:41

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Well after trying several options I decided to restore an image of the operating system from some months ago.

That worked ! I can now play MP3 files in PowerDVD 12. I suspect that some part of the operating system had become corrupt and the only way of fixing that was either re-install a new operating system and all the applications or try a backup image which I had, thankfully.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
[Post New]
I just noticed I have the same problem (in PDVD13), the software refuses to play any MP3, WAV or other audio file when on HDMI output. It says the format is not supported.

But then I tried something. I also have an optical (TOSLINK) connection to my AV Receiver. So I switched PDVD to SPDIF and magic! The MP3 files work, as well as WAV files.

Now even more curious... if I switch back to HDMI mode while the file is playing... then the playback continues, on HDMI, flawlessly. If I stop and try starting again (while staying on HDMI), it once again says "format not supported".

There's obviously nothing wrong with my codec installation since everything works as intended in SPDIF mode, so there's definitely a bug in PDVD 13 (and obviously 12 too) about playing audio files via an HDMI connection.

I didn't notice this before because I'm only using PDVD for video and blu-ray, and use Winamp for audio, but I see how this can be annoying to people using it for an HTPC.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2013 09:11

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Well after trying several options I decided to restore an image of the operating system from some months ago.

That worked ! I can now play MP3 files in PowerDVD 12. I suspect that some part of the operating system had become corrupt and the only way of fixing that was either re-install a new operating system and all the applications or try a backup image which I had, thankfully.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Thinking about this problem a bit more I just wonder if CyberLink-Michael didn't have the clue. Sometime ago I used a tool to clean up empty folders and general rubbish that collects. I did notice that another program I used infrequently had also stopped working, but didn't pay much attention as it was low priority. It has left me wondering if that program was, perhaps, too aggressive in cleaning things up. Unlike Ccleaner which I have used, without any problems, for over 10 years. That is not to say that it could have been the culprit. I have a feeling it was the other one. I shall not use it again. It also made me wonder about some of these other folk who are having issues with PD. Could it be that they use some sort of tidying up program and this is the cause ??? Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
[Post New]
There's still this mystery of why MP3/WAV work perfectly for me if I start them in SPDIF mode and then switch to HDMI... My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: There's still this mystery of why MP3/WAV work perfectly for me if I start them in SPDIF mode and then switch to HDMI...

Yes I agree, this is indeed a real puzzle, but we shall try and find an answer. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
Nicole Link [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2014 13:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had this problem with PDVD 13 and at the same time it happened PDVD 12 in my media suite. Like the person above me said, when switched to SPDIF and then back to HDMI it worked fine but only for that song. How I fixed it was that within the Audio Management, i switched it to a different Audio output, between my sound card in my PC and the audio output of my TV, which i use as a monitor, and then right back to my original. Worked like a charm. Now it plays back all my music, no switching back and forth.