Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems running Multi Trim full-screen - Is it possible?
PD10_Newbie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2012 02:14 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I searched the forums before posting but could not find an answer to my question....

I am a new user to PD10 (trial version for now). My main purpose with this program is to take the videos on my hard drive (.avi, wmv, mkv..etc.) and delete the parts of the videos I do not want, keeping the rest.

I experimented with Multi Trim this evening and it looks like it will do the job. Problem is, the Multi Trim window default size is extremely small - making it difficult to watch the videos as I am editing them.
I run a Dell 30" monitor in SLI with (2) high-end video cards. (I wasn't in SLI mode while testing PD)

Why can't I run the Multi Trim window full screen so I can see what I am editing? Am I missing something or is this a restriction in the trial version?

-Thanks in advance

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PD10_Newbie

Welcome to the forum

I have never used the Multi-trim tool - ever.

Instead, I use the split and delete method in the timelime - saves opening up another editing tool

Here's a screenshot to show you

After splitting the clip simply delete the part you do not need - you can move in increments of 1/10th of a second - I think

Happy Editing

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 03. 2012 04:59

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
A few editors here including myself avoid the Multi-Trim tool, I just find it too confusing.

I use the split tool, much easier to just split and delete. You can even stretch the timeline out to frame level if you want very accurate splitting.

I also use Mulit-Split for my hanggliding videos where I have a separately recorded voice track. After syncing the two tracks, just highlight both tracks and you can split both at the same time. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I view multi-trim as kind of a pre-processing step. I use multi-trim to sequentially go through all my footage and cut out the obvious garbage prior to doing "real" editing. After using multi-trim, my clean footage is on the timeline and I render that to create a file that is ready to apply the creative decisions involved in editing.

You can do the same thing, perhaps faster and with the benefit of the secondary display, by using the timeline and the split and delete key, as the other users pointed out. In multi-trim there is no secondary display.

I suppose it's just a bit of a different mindset. In multi-trim you are in a little world where you can only do cuts and nothing else. It's just a mental thing that some may find useful.

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm using the Multi-Trim window.
One of the things, which made me buy a larger monitor.
Alas, though the main working area became larger, the Multi-Trim-Window even became smaller, due to the higher resolution of the larger monitor.
It is - in some cases - sheer impossible to discern the correct end of a - e.g. - zooming motion due to the tiny preview window!
That could be a point, where CL could improve PD!

Michael.

P.S.: to give an answer to the thread starter: no, it's not a limitation of the trial version, it's a " feature" of PD. Alas.
PD10_Newbie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2012 02:14 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and advice.

Sounds like the split and delete method is a cleaner alternative to Multi-Trim. (Thank you for the screen shot Neil!) That being said, I also like the idea of using Multi-Trim for pre-processing as Rob1492 suggested.

Thanks again for the help.

[Post New]
I FIND THIS BY FAR THE EASES WAY TO DELETE PARTS YOU DO NOT WANT IN VIDEO
[Thumb - Image1.jpg]
 Filename
Image1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
175 time(s)