Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
General bad behaviour of "unlink tracks" (build 1129b)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
After a first issue concerning audio transitions and the weird behaviour of other tracks during insert/delete of those (which - by the way - affects also video transitions) there's a may-be-new issue concerning the linking of tracks in general:
My 'problem':
A clip in VT1 should be shortened by increasing video speed.
Although I've set the "Link all tracks..." option to NO (not checked), when I open Power Tools and increase video speed from 1.00 to 1.20 - all other tracks follow.
Odd. Though, I admit, not unwanted.
When I press "undo" (the blue left-bent-arrow in the menu area top left of the screen), everything goes back - as should.
I repeat setting video speed from 1.00 to 1.20
And then I REDUCE video speed - setting it from 1.20 back to 1.00 in the Power Tools window (no "undo"!)
VT1 moves back to original position, but all other tracks remain where they were.
THAT's unwanted.

See the attached AVI clip as explanation.
Michael.
 Filename
Videoclip4.avi
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5924 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
332 time(s)
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
I offer no solution, but I will attest that it does the same thing for me.

Not changing the speed, in fact, if I adjust the end time of the clip the other clips will move ahead even though I do not have the "link all tracks..." checked. I can move the end of the clip closer to the clips on the right, and they do not move, but if I move the end of the clip to the left the clips on the right follow.

Definitely a bug. Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is where the always empty "junk track" is very useful.
Keep a track open at all times, and if you need to modify a file, drag it into your junk-track, modify the length, then bring it back into your timeline.
This is also useful for deleting content without disturbing the rest of your timeline. Drag the unwanted file into the junk -track, delete, and nothing else moves!
Always edit with a junk-track, mine is track 1! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry, and thanks for your reply.

Warning, not to come across sounding unappreciative of the other member's help, but this is going to be a bit of a rant.

I can understand the usefulness of a "junk" track to work in, and I DO do that often, but we shouldn't have to move a clip to a "safe" track just to adjust the length if their is space to the right of it, especially if we do not have "Link all tracks..." selected.

Take a hour hour project for example. I have most of the media needed and begin a complex project. I don't have everything I need but begin laying it all on the timeline. I end up with more media that comes to for 15-20 minutes. I already have most of the rest (to the right) done and need to make some adjustments to the scene 15-20 minutes. I already am using 3 tracks is this scene and now this problem comes into play. With the limitations of PD I cannot simply adjust the length of one clip to adjust the timing with the 2 other tracks because it will mess up the synchronization of the media to the right of this scene. I cannot just move the one clip to a junk track as I need the other 2 tracks to work with. I cannot even select using the scrubber and paste after everything to the right as I cannot move the scrubber past the last clip.

So my "work around" is to temporarily place "something" on the timeline past the last clip in the project so I can paste the selected media between that and the last clip in the project, do my editing, select and copy the edited clips and repaste it back it the space in the timeline.

This is so full of potential for messing up the sync of other media that it makes my stomach knot up.

I believe that this should be a fix.

Again, please do not read sarcasm into this as I do appreciate the help that is offered. My beef is with Cyberlink. This could be such a simple issue for them to correct if "Link all tracks..." is not selected, everything on the timeline should not move!

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 29. 2012 13:43

Richard

Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, double post

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2012 13:43

Richard

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If nothing else, "Link all Tracks" should NOT be buried in the PREFERENCES UI, it should be a more prominent part of the Timeline UI. That is a definite. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If nothing else, "Link all Tracks" should NOT be buried in the PREFERENCES UI, it should be a more prominent part of the Timeline UI. That is a definite.

I had demanded THAT already for v8 of PD...
Michael.
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
My vote is for Barry on the R7D team for CL.

That would be the obvious place to put a "toggle" button for this purpose, that is after they get that feature to work as I believe it should.
Richard

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: If nothing else, "Link all Tracks" should NOT be buried in the PREFERENCES UI, it should be a more prominent part of the Timeline UI. That is a definite.

I had demanded THAT already for v8 of PD...
Michael.

It's a request that has been made over many versions, and it's surprizing that CL has not seen fit to ever act on it.

[Thumb - interface suggestion.png]
 Filename
interface suggestion.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
373 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 30. 2012 02:26

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I recall Carsten's previous image to show exactly what was wanted. Spot in.

Two reports sent in.
Buttons: 330.
Mike's: 331.

Forum Moderator