Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 10 my disappointment
Rosario56 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Italy Joined: Jan 23, 2012 04:15 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Hallo all,
I write this post to try to understand what is wrong in my way to use this software.

I use Power Director from the older version 4. I changed soon this version for PD 5 because it never worked on my system...(software bundled with USB 2820 capture card), but just after the first enthusiasm.. I went in search of a better quality...quality in having less video noise as possible...less artifacts... in capture and production of my works.... So I tried with other versions of PD, the PD6 a good step up, then 7, then after PD8, which was significantly better than all previous. From PD8 onwards I have not found significant improvements.... My problem is to capture and edith (with only few transitions) my VHS recorded with old camcorders (Panasonic-Hitachi)...VHS and S-VHS. I was non satisfied of capture quality (and my cassettes are well preserved) so I changed the source, buying first a more powerfull S-VHS VCR, a Panasoninc HS 950 with TBC, but the quality remained about the same...then I chanded PC.. and now I have an i7 2600K with 8 Gb fast ram, 2 Tb WD fast Hdds, W7 64bit....after I changed the capture card, now I have a C727 Avermedia...the quality is a little bit better but not dramatically. I bought PD10 reading of amazing features...but after download and installation...it was simply the same....with the same controls, the same poor enhancing features. For example: The True Theater technology improvements (uscaling SD definition to HD where are??? is the inusable "Miglioramento Video" of Italian version?? It's unusable...contrast raises increases to impossible levels already low level of regulation...and I have no upsaling of resolution....the only control usable is "elimina impurità video" in addition to the usual color-contrast- etc..etc.. I thought I finally find advanced controls... In PD8 these enhancements already were and worked better..."miglioramento video" specially...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I think there could be some improvements, but depending on how you use the True Theater, and other FX, I think it's a very useful tool.
Could you show us an example?
Here's mine, shot at dawn, white balance was way off.
I used everything, even gamma and neutral density FX.
http://youtu.be/bw-BB2CQN5k?hd=1
You Tube didn't do the best render, but it was 1920x1080.
I have had good results with off-color SD VHS tapes, too.
It would be nice if the ENHANCER had a lower-end value. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry!, I saw Your post and the clip at Your link. Well I saw in it only a better control of white balance...maybe the quality of YT.... I don't see more other improvements.... but I think that upgrade from SD definition it's another story!!...
I will try to post some examples...even if the thing I don't understand is WHERE are the Theatre controls.....are the controls "enhance.." that are available when the clip is on the timeline??? If are theese....already PD8 had it!!...upscaling from SD to HD is another thing !!!!! and I don't find any upgrade in this!!!! I thought that there was, in PD10, specific controls for it!!...like the third party plugins... I find that PD10 has a pletora of effects...PIPs....transitions...titles...3d...but it hasn't a really powerfull capture setting...it hasn't a really powerfull enhancement/correction tool...perhaps because from digital sources there's no need (???).... I was undecided between PD and other softwares...software that can use for example Neat Video plug-in to eliminate video noise...I ended up with PD10 trusting what they promised on the site....I chose PD also because I know his interface..I learned it about 5-6 years ago...But now I would[img] to use this software.... Why PD10 hasn't codecs on AVI capture?? Why so few capture codecs and modes?? Can I capture at 640x480 (the size closer to the DVd format) with 1 Gb for less than a minute???? A 120 VHS cassette in 130 Gb??? could PD10 manage this???? This software costs like Adobe elements...that can be upgraded with everything You need...(Third-party plugins)...
I've posted a pict of the unusable control of the italian version....[/img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/immagineyw.jpg/[img]
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
...excuse for my english!!! the image is there :

[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/immagineyw.jpg/[img]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 28. 2012 17:16

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Q) WHERE are the Theatre controls.....are the controls "enhance.."
A) Yes, those are the controls, now called "True Theater".

Q) like the third party plugins
A) Many of us would like to see more 3rd party plug-ins.

Q) Why PD10 hasn't codecs on AVI capture?
A) 64 bit codecs are rare, are you in a 64 bit environment?

Comment - your photo/video-grab, is very dark, I am not sure anything can be done to improve such dark video.

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hallo Barry,

Yes the picture in the video window is too dark but it's non my standard video!! it was only a sample for not to put images of people or other and allow to open-enhancing tool. please You confirm that the true theater enhancement is this??.
Yes I have a 64 bit system now (and PD10 is designed for it).

There are non codecs in 64 bit?? I don't think... I've read of Huffyuv and Lagarith for example... I only have to understand if installing these PD10 captures with them... and a question: Why no AVI codecs on PD10?
I think the reason is: it's only a unappealing aspect of the sofware...that's more specialized in effects and multi PIP
(but really someone uses those??? bahhh!!! I think that a video made using all these is unwatchable!!)

I believed that now PD in 10 version had serious controls for video enhancing. Barry You did not answered a question...Please say me: I've put a red arrow to indicate the "miglioramento video", (that is unusable....destroys the image instead of enhancing...), is this the control that the site says as miracolous??...that upscales SD to HD?? Do You use it positively?? In my version (but also on PD9) increases contrast, the shadows become black spots already at low settings...(10-15 value)

Do You capture in MPEG 2??
I wanted to capture in AVI with a lossless codec...because I think: If I capture in mpeg2 (dvd profile) the signal is already compressed (first time) then after editing in the rendering to burn DVD is recompressed again with two losses in quality...the first in capture..the second in production...my reasoning is wrong? or am I right??
If there are two compressions, SD video quality becomes worse..... loosing details, increasing noise video etc...
But instead if I can capture in a lossless codec format I have only one compression (the final to produce video-DVD) is it right?? and the quality is better at this point.. right??
I would capture in MPEG2 because is more simple and is a feature already avaliable, the space on disk is lower...but the final quality how is??
Give me an advice please!!
Excuse me Barry, excuse me all for my doubts and for my english too!!

Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
New images:
this without "miglioramento video"
http://imageshack.us/f/256/immagine2eh.jpg/

and this with "miglioramento video" at lower setting...as You can see there is a contrast increase and noise (look at the borders of furniture)

http://imageshack.us/f/408/immagine3jt.jpg/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2012 06:22

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Rosario,
there is no rule that dictates you can only use 1 software for editing. If you can capture with another utility, use it!
Even the "Pros" use different apps for different needs.
PD is an excellent editor.
As for True Theater, it works better for some footage than others. There's an old saying..."garbage in, garbage out".
From your video-grabs, your original video seems to be not-so-bad, and after applying TT, the colors POP a bit more, does not look so bad to me. Did you try "video denoise" or the other controls?
As for all the different PIPS and multi-tracks, and FX ability, you say a video using those is "un-watchable!", I disagree, it all depends on what you do with that ability... examples
http://youtu.be/MP6AwAS0KIs?hd=1
http://youtu.be/d_FXtN_ZEdk
http://youtu.be/qYkox0D1xBM?hd=1

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2012 07:03

Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry Your video are very pretty...sincerely compliments!! The first has a very good resolution...the second ...no... Probably it's at standard definition...the quality seems similar to what I get and it's this that I want upgrade (or I try!)
I will update on the results you'll get the roof, thank You!

As anyone other Ideas to propose?? Ideas on the best way to capture SD!!

Ok! I'm just searching for a good capture way to do...
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The 2nd video was shot using a 720 (lite) camera, and also, do not forget things that can affect quality...
camera quality and file type it creates
lighting
moving around too much
format (file type) output to
Youtube additional rendering interference.
A lot can get involved before anyone ever sees the video!
Some of the files used in those 3 videos are SD, most are HD.
Upscaling SD to HD is hit or miss.
As for capture, why don't you try a search, or start a new thread, with a new title, many folks here capture VHS and/or Hi8 tapes, so you will get a good response, I hope.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2012 12:27

Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's a good idea Barry, I''l do it.!!
Schbang [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 27, 2011 15:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I agree - a total disappointment.
As a leader in HD footage editing, I've been regularly frustrated by Power Director.
Two days ago PD merged two projects - overlayed the audio from another completely different project into an actors showreel I was working on. What the? - Took hours to correct.

Now adding titles shifts the audio/video sync completely out. What the? -

Resolution? I'm converting my life to Mac - that's right converting my life to Mac, and buying/using FCP which is everything PD is not. Enough of this silly PC NLE software after 8 years, it's nonsense. SO FRUSTRATING - the Pinnacle sagas, the Adobe sagas.

This is one pissed-off PC user. After scripting and shooting broadcast programs and editing on unreliable PC NLE's, I've had ENOUGH!
Now that feels better.

Good bye PC. It's been a turbulent romance, but ultimately we divorce.
Welcome the Mac affair......I will so enjoy you. Colin
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just now I went back to look what Cyberlink says about PD10 on their site....
about Enhancing.... I still now don't find anything of what is said!! "Enhancing Sd to full HD"..."True Theater..." I don't see anything of it on my clips (captured from VHS cassettes of my previous camcorders...in very good conditions)
on the site Enhancing tools appears like a true miracle... in my test actually seem to be only a terrible contrast increasing (totally exaggerated), without any improvement in resolution. Also noise reduction seems to work not always but sometimes, doing my tests often I don't see his work ...flagging this tool or not !! I am totally disappointed!!
maybe this software is centered only in special effects and games.....but WHY say/show on the site things that it can't do??

My version (PD10 Italian) has
"miglioramento video" unusable!..+++contrast only...the slider can be totally set at left or right side:no changes
"impurità video" that works not always...

I wanted only to capture and edit my VHS cassettes...with the minimal loss of quality...

Any idea?? Daffyd Help!! what's wrong??
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote:
Two days ago PD merged two projects - overlayed the audio from another completely different project into an actors showreel I was working on. What the? - Took hours to correct.

I honestly don't know of any way this can happen, what was the file type you were editing?
And PD has an UNDO function. But I am still interested in details of that audio/video error.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2012 18:29

twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
My sister has a Mac and using Final Cut Pro. We were comparing the quality of videos she made and edited in Final Cut and I see very little difference in her videos in the un-rendered version and mine edited in Power Director.
For the price difference in and IMac and Final Cut Pro I don't see the advantage for me as I am on a budget.
There are some advantages in using a Final Cut, but for me I don't see that much difference.
I have been using Power Director for years and have been very happy with the product.
This is an example of a video uploaded to Youtube and edited with rendered with Power Director. The original video is much better, but Youtube has improved on their video rendering I think.
Watch this test I made comparing her Final Cut and Power Director.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVjkpYIXzI

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2012 18:28

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Schbang [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 27, 2011 15:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
My mind's made up along with other frustrated PD users.
Mac and FCP - here we come - thank you.
Good-bye PD! What a frustration!

For the record nanna Wilhelm and bedside bolda: - I am a BA Television Production academic
and was so impressed with FCP back in 2002, I instructed my university to purchase an FCP
site licence.
I personally and unfortunately stayed with PC NLE's since most govt schools can't afford Mac platforms and I
persevered with purchasing PC NLE's, costing thousands to find something to match FCP.
So ends my long frustrated search. I should have known better and saved money.
It was a false hope and a false economy.
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am testing for AVI capture mode, but I don't know Why PD10 has no codecs in this format. I am testing an Huffyuv codec that I have installed on my W7-64. Virtual dub recognize this codec, PD10 no. ..or well:
if I do capture with Virtual Dub (or process) AVI clips using Huffyuv compression... the files are correctly used for editing functions on the timeline of PD10!!! (Why in capture PD do not recognize Huffyuv???)
The quality using this workflow (Virtual dub with Huffyuv in capture, then edited with PD) seems to be better than
MPEG2 capture done with PD. Also the controls for enhancing are well usable in avi than in mpeg....
Have You any ideas about this??

How to install other codecs (lossless codecs) in PD10?

I have noticed too that the files generated with Huffyuv compression are non played by Windows Media Player...but are played by Windows Media Center (!!!!???)