Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector6 Keeps Writing New Desktop Icon When It Loads
Douglas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2007 10:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
If anyone has the knowledge, I'd appreciate knowing how to stop PowerDirector6 from re-writing the desktop icon whenever it loads. If you delete it, rename it, it writes another one.

Not a showstoppper, however annoying all the same.

Thanking you.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Check you've installed PD as an administrator of the PC.

try the following way to re-install PowerDirector:
a.) Start--> Programs -->Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall PowerDirector
b.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click "Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete the "PowerDirector" folder
c.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit"--> click "Hkey_Current_user" --> click
"Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete "PowerDirector" folder.
d.) Delete C:\Programs Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector
And reboot your PC.
After this, please install your PowerDirector.

It does appear to me to be your PC that's at fault.

Dafydd

BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have experienced this same issue w/ PD6. You delete the shortcut off the desktop, and the next time you start PD, it re-appears!

All my family members have separate logins on our main computer. I was wanting to keep the PD shortcut off the kid's desktops.

Brady
Douglas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for that very comprehensive solve Dafydd. I did install as Administrator, however this program, as much as I find it usefull, was a beat to get onto my system, and the thought of taking it off after it's up and running does not appeal to me. It's a small annoyance, I'll lear to put up with it.

Ferguson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2006 20:54 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not convinced that this is a problem with the PC.

This "feature" appears to have come along for the ride in the latest patch. Prior to installing the patch, I could start PowerDirector without having it reinstall the Desktop shortcut. After installing the patch, PowerDirector insists on creating the Desktop shortcut.

For what it is worth, I run XP with full administrator privileges at all times.

This is more of an annoyance than anything. I purposely limit my Desktop shortcuts on my system. It would be nice to see this corrected at some point.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I've sent you all PM's... to Brady an email.... Please try out the small patch file and let me know how you get on. I contacted CyberLink and mentioned your problem, hopefully it's a solution. Please post the outcome.

Dafydd
Ferguson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2006 20:54 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Dafydd,

I applied the patch file per your instructions and the desktop icon is no more

I haven't had much chance to work with PowerDirector since applying the patch, but wanted to let you know the results.

Thank you,
Andrew
Kevin1297 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2007 11:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Dafydd,

I too have this desktop icon problem with PD6 - where can i find the information on the patch file / instructions to solve this error, it appears to have worked for Ferguson so it might for me !

Thanks

Kevin
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
PM sent - need full name, email address and country/location.

Dafydd
Douglas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Our man Dafydd here was able to successfully liaise with the people at Cyberlink, and came up with a solution to the problem. There is a new .dll file availalbe that cures the problem.

Thanking you Dafydd for your assistance.

Kevin1297 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2007 11:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Thankyou for all your help - desktop icon problem has been solved............. new DLL file cured it.

Thankyou
Kevin
Ankit [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 04, 2008 04:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,

I recently updated my Cyberlink Youcam software and since then I have been having the same problem as been described above from PowerDirector6, whereby my desktop icon keeps reappearing even after deleting it. Could I please get the patch as well.

Cheers,

Ankit.
RRRick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2008 16:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This same annoyance is happening with a new install of version 7. Any chance the patch works in version 7 as well and, if it does, how does one get the patch???
Sebastien [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2008 18:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, can i receive the patch?
Darran [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2009 15:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have this same annoyance with power2go burning software. Since I don't like someone else being in control of my computer (telling me what I can and can't do. Like delete desktop shortcuts) I'll probably just uninstall the software.