Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need for tutorial DVD's for new users
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2010 14:57 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, there are some videos that show how to use some of the features of PD10 but this is not what is needed for new users to learn video editing. PD10 is a powerful program with great features. But I ask this question of the software designers and product marketing people: Take a new person who knows absolutely NOTHING about Video editing, and sit down with this person without saying a single word, and watch them go about trying to download a video home movie. Then watch them as they try to navigate the editing and producing of their video. You will get the point that I am trying to make real fast.

You need to think outside of the box and make a SUPERIOR product for EVERYONE, especially new users? To accomplish this, make a series of DVD's that are tailored to each step in the process of using PD10 in concert with a work book that allows the student/new user to practice as they learn, one step at a time.

This process will work because students can take their time, and practice each new step until they have learned the process. We do this in industry, and have done so for years.

Just think of how many new SATISFIED customers you will have for this and other products with just a little effort outside the box. I have seen videos online where people have tried using U-Tube to demonstrate features of this product and others as well. Most are terrible, they go too fast for a new user to know what is going on so they give up.

If you really want to be CUSTOMER focused, especially new users, then give this a try, I know this will work.

Regards,

Dick

Attitude + Behavior = Performance
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I feel your pain. 8 years ago I got into editing and sat down with another program and tried to make some headway. After a very long day I didn't touch the editor again for months. I eventually did give it another go and found that I could accomplish something productive. A few more hours and the anxiety subsided and I began to enjoy it.

Because video is a visual experience I need to visually see what needs to be done and how to navigate. I didn't understand terminology and so didn't know how to find it using the help feature.

I agree, all video editing programs should have a step by step video available to at least get your clips off your camera, onto the timeline, trim them, put some titles on it and render a completed movie.

I have only really got serious with Power Director and once I feel competent in it I will create a beginners step by step how to.

BTW if their is some basic questions you have you can post them of PM me. I'll do what I can to help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2012 19:26

Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
gladys [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 27, 2012 19:30 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
It does not have to be a DVD a manual will be great, I am new at editing video, I am able to see the video but have not been able to edit it
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I agree with what you are saying, but I find that quite a few new members to video editing are trying to edit video with computers that haven't the resources for video editing, especially hi def videos. These people have to first learn what the video editing program requires for processing power and memory requirements before they purchase it and find out the computer they have can't handle video editing in HI DEf.
Or that when a member here asks for specific information and gives a link to the post that specifies and details the way to obtain the requested information then doesn't follow the instructions.
And they must NOT hijack another "saying I have the same problem....' but don't give the information on there systems.
Jim
p.s Hope this doesn't offend any one
Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Richard,Gladys and Jim for your replies. A few added comments:
JIM: I built my present computer a year ago, it has a quad processor (Intel i7 ), 6 GB Ram, 1 TB HD and another 1TB as backup, and an XFX Radeon HD 8450 Video card.

I have downloaded one Analog tale so far from my older 8MM camera, and made two DVD's that played OK on my DVD player. This was very basic just to see how things work, no real editing.

My problem right now is, I don't know what I am doing with time lines etc for editing, I need to learn what does what.

I have downloaded and printed out both the Users Manual and the book on editing. I need to see, then try, then understand what each thing does. That is how "I" learn. I hope that the combination of me trying after repeatedly reading the books, will lead to gradual understanding without complete frustration.

A teaching video, without language dialects ( no insult intended ) would be a GREAT time saver as well as prevent meltdowns. LOL Attitude + Behavior = Performance
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
I learn real fast if I have someone watching me and answering questions as I go.

If I have to decipher instructions and hope I have clicked where I need to click and hopefully not miss a step, it takes me much longer.

I'd be willing to help where i can. I have a good understanding of linear editing (timeline). Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
gladys [Avatar]
[Post New]
Still, I am not any further, I d/l the test version, unless I figure how to use the prg I will not buy it
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Well I learn by doing then asking questions from the form members here and try and include an example of my intentions. I just got into video editing late last year. I start with small projects and an idea then work form there, I don't jump in with a hour and a half video and try and fumble through with a large project.
I do agree that there needs to be a Structured set of videos, in a sequential form from initial Project compilation to the finished disc Creation.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Do you think that Cyberlink will react to this request? It is a good project for some summer college help.

Jim: your method is certainly the best way to learn at present without people standing with us as Richard has suggested which obviously would be great.

In the meantime, I will certainly rely on this forum for help with any questions that I might have and there certainly will be many.

One question that I have for starters is: my Analog tapes when Captured said that I had recorded 25 GB into PD10. As my blank DVD has 4.7 GB of space, I set the parameters to 4.6 GB for the first DVD burn, it came out fine. When I tried to get the second DVD burned, I set the marker at the end of the first burn in editor, but something goofed up and I was only copying part of the remaining video onto the 2nd DVD. I have to check on what I was doing wrong. Attitude + Behavior = Performance
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dick

I agree with you entirely The assumption is that everyone is a video editing expert

However, there are lots of resources out there to assist the video editor.

There are literally hundreds of tutorials on Youtube. Cyberlink even have there own channel!

There are intermediate tutorials at the start of the PD10 at the top of the page posted by the Moderator.

However, two of my favourites are the absolute beginner 'toots' posted on the PDToots channel on Youtube.

They are using PD8 in these tutorials but the basics are the same for PD10

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/9/jXG2jDTHyKw

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/8/ccSNU_Z7BRc

Happy editing - enjoy PowerDirector - sure it has it's quirks but it is really good.

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

James1
[Post New]
Hi Neil,
I know that and some of the other members know about the tutorials (which I have gone to many times) but a 'Newbie' wouldn't associate previous version tutorials also can be applied to the latest version unless directed to it by the forum. If you have just purchased Pd10 and go to tutorial section PD10 tutorials are displayed not all versions unless you expand your search, and the tutorials are not in a linear sequence as was originally posted so you can follow along as the beginner progress' in his/her 'Project' if you follow what we mean.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jim

I get what you mean.

I suggested to CL about a year ago a link to a series of tutorials from beginner through to advance in an easy to follow numbered format but as almost always it was ignored.

There are some very good tutorials on this forum but as you say you need to understand all features in PD before you can start your first project - hence the PDToots begineer tutorials.

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I know how a new person feels. I got a DV camera a year or so after they cam out. Try to edited video and was getting nowhere. But one thing I was doing wrong was in windows we learn terms like cut,copy and paste. In video we need to learn terms like split, keyframes and so on. I would highlight a section of video in the time line that I want out and say cut. The hole video track was gone from the timeline. Then one day I seen the split command. So I started playing the video track watch it in the preview window I would pause the play back to where I wanted to take out a section of video. Then I would move the cursors to the timeline where the line moves a long on where it at on the video track and do the split command. Then I would hit play and let it go the where the end of that part of the video I wanted edited out pause it and split. The hightlight that area I want out than remove and I was on my why to editing video.

Then you can staeet playing with transitions and makeing title screens. I hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 28. 2012 10:10

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
gladys [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am trying to convert VHS to DVD I am trying to edit the video once I transfer to my Computer, the editing is not easy
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will check out some of those items you have listed Neil, I certainly have not taken a look at all of them yet, I got a little discouraged when viewing some of them because they were so badly done, voices were up and down in volume, and they had not scripted what they had intended to show, not very professional at all. I applaud their attempt, however when you are NEW at this game, you need PROFESSIONAL "how to" videos. I remember a looong time ago trying to learn MS spreadsheets. Then a gentleman came along with CD's and a work book, and I was off to the races. Why CL does not do this is beyond me, the CEO needs to LISTEN to his/her customers and REACT in a positive manner. THIS is the secret to a great company with happy customers, and happy customers will come back.

I will say that the people on this forum are just GREAT, very helpful, all of you get a BIG THANK YOU for your time and your patience and your helpful spirit. God bless you all , the world needs more people like you !!! Attitude + Behavior = Performance
James1
[Post New]
Hi Grayfox,
Well you have to take into consideration that some of the tutorials were done by forum members for the sake of beginners other Power Director users and made on there own time.

Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi Neil, I checked out PD Toots, they are done very well. The only problem that I had with them was; they move so fast at times that I had to keep backing up the video to see what they were doing. This gave me the distinct feeling that this video is for folks who have experience with PD already, and are comfortable with moving faster because they already know where all the controls and features are, and how they work. My comments were, " slow down, I can't move my eyes fast enough to keep up with your pointer". If you are trying to show me something that I don't know, give me chance to digest what I am seeing in Slooooow motion. Replay , pause, replay pause, tough way to learn. I will get there because I will stay with it, but there are enhancements that will make the process go much faster for new users. Attitude + Behavior = Performance
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
That's the beauty of on-line videos, so easy to go over things, rewind, watch again. It's the nature of the beast. I've got a fair amount of experience, but I've been watching on-line tutorials about a 3D software, and I can't get it in one shot.
It won't be long, you'll get the hang of it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Grayfox72 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry, I hope so at age 73, I don't have as much time remaining as a 21 year old kid.... LOL Attitude + Behavior = Performance
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Grayfox72,

You can download the tutorial video on Youtube using the Youtube Downloader HD

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

One tip, when you are watching a video, click on Share then Options and choose the long link.
Copy that link and paste into Youtube Downloader HD Video URL.

Youtube Downloader needs the long link to work.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.