Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Add transition-type animation to Images within a Title Slide?
TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 30, 2011 03:21 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Is there any possible way to alter the appear/disappear animation for images that are placed in a Title Slide?

I'm producing a countdown video and have a half-transparent banner (image) at the bottom of the screen with text field entries on top of the banner to display information. The text and banner are both made within a title slide and added on to the video.

What I'm trying to do is have the banner enter the screen, then the text, and after the first 3-4 seconds, have both the text and banner disappear to show the full video underneath it. There are animation options to alter the way in which the text enters the screen and leaves the screen (icicles, amplify vertically, scroll left etc). Is there a way to add this effect to the banner (image) as well?

At default, it seems to be set to "fade" for both in and out, but I can't seem to find a way to change that.

The YouTube video below shows something similar to what I'm looking to do with the banner/text.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d685toDq4Tk

The effect at 0:22-0:25 is what I'm trying to do. I've contacted the person who made that video and am aware that was done with a different software, but is this impossible using CLPD10 alone?
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
I'm new to PD but have done editing for over 8 years. I've not tried this in PD but I have done this in another editor.

Their may be several ways to do this.

Using a photo editor, the banner can be a .gif image with increased transparency as you can see the underling video.
The banner image can be dissolved to transition out using a video editor.

The text/numbers can be either overlaid and then animated, or it also could be done with a series of banner images to simulate the countdown, just transition from one to the next with an animated transition out. I'd say 4 images with the last transitioned out would do it. Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
I did a little testing to see what I could do.

I found that creating the banner was easy, just a .jpg, about 1000 x 80 for this project.
I placed it on the timeline and brought down the opacity.

I created the text and placed them where I wanted them.

2 problems came up during this project.

1) The white numbers on the banner briefly turned dark just before fading. Don't know why that is. I tried with and without a border, made no difference. Maybe other colors might work better, maybe another font?

2) The number of transitions you can use on the banner is VERY limited! I ended up using one of the block style.
I had hoped for a better selection but most of them transitioned the whole screen, not just the banner. Very disappointed here. Again I don't know why that is.

I posted it on my Photobucket if you want to have a look.
Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
[Post New]
I have done something similar to this video, create animated Bannes in PiP Objects, add in the range above the text, works well.
Object saved as PIP, if I use many times
Very simple example:
 Filename
Barne pds.rar
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
382 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 27. 2012 19:20

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Twilight, Grumpy & Playsound -

Attached is a low res clip with some samples I made. What Richard found about transitions is absolutely right - you need to select carefully. Some look terrible in this scenario.

True - transitions apply to the whole screen. One way around that is to mask out part of the screen.

The examples were made by:
1. Producing the image with ending transition to a video file (full screen)
2. Inserting main clip in VT1 & text bar clip in VT2, from 1. (or any lower track)
3. Applying a mask to the text bar clip
4. Applying chroma key to the black that appears during transition
5. Adding the title text

The last two examples in the attachment use video clips as the text bar. Barry's tutorial on lower thirds tells you more... http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots?feature=mhee#p/u/9/S9UxBKs9oi8

So - there are a few ways to do what you want using PD.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
TitleBars.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2431 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
384 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2012 16:41

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you gentlemen. I figured this out...to a degree.

Right now, I was able to do most of what ynotfish gave directions for, and was able to get the banner with transition by using a chromatic key on the PiP track. It looks fine, except when adding the text on to the banner via the title slide.

The text needs to be available for modification instead of being encoded into the banner clip.
So the issue becomes the timing. It almost seems as if I'd need to eyeball every single set of PiP banner and Title text to ensure that the timing is dead on perfect so that the text appears at almost the same time as the banner and leaves the screen in near sync.

The video I originally linked to to show what I wanted to do with the banner seems to have the text in perfect sync.
I'd love to show you what I have right now to explain this better but unfortunately, my internet is down at the moment and I am typing this via my phone.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this perhaps?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Twilight -

Perhaps the attached project might help. It shows how the actual title is completely separate & not embedded in the title bar. It also includes the produced file (WMV).

I'm also including the mask I used for the title bar. The mask & its thumbnail need to be stored in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector10\Masks

It sounds like you're very close to doing what you wanted.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
TitleBar.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1393 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
395 time(s)

TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ynotfish,

Thank you so much for providing the project file, as it helps me understand this better immensely.
The methodology I've used for my "method" of doing this is different than what you have done, it seems.

I've opened the project file you've provided and can see it perfectly, but still do not understand how the text sync works.
From the naked eye, it appears that the text slide starts 00:28 seconds into the movie, and ends 01:03 seconds before the movie ends.
How was the start/end time for the title slide determined?

ynotfish
[Post New]
I just lined it up to sit within the duration of the text bar... I have to admit it isn't done in a precise way. Firstly, it's visual then a bit of trial & error - repositioning & resetting duration.

I made it so the text was just "gone" by the end transition of the text bar.

I'm sure there's a variety of ways of achieving that effect. That's just what I came up with after seeing your linked example.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2012 00:13

TwillightSun218 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you so much for the visual aid again!

I haven't tested this just yet, but will report back the results.

Thank you so much for all of your help in resolving this matter, I can't put to words how valuable this has all been!