Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Usability of PowerDVD 11
bork [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2012 11:41 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Just installed trial ver of PowerDVD 11. My experience:

- After installation it would not play any format--MP3, MP4, AVI, FLV, etc. Each time I selected a video to play, I got a popup offering to sell me a pc software accelerator (which I don't need), after which I got the error message 'Selected file format is not compatible with PowerDVD.'

- When I tried to uninstall this thing, it ran for over an hour and did nothing. I finally tumbled to the fact that when I started the uninstall it opened a window on my taskbar, which I couldn't restore, but when I right-clicked on it on the taskbar it popped up a 'Do you want to continue uninstalling PowerDVD?' window. Never seen this one before when uninstalling any other program. The old 'hidden continue' trick.

When I went online to try and get a solution (before I discovered this cute little twist) to the uninstall situation, I was bombarded with windows offering to sell me other services, which obscured the My Account Window and any other window I wanted to get to. I could not close any of these popups.

Verdict: This program is garbage. And annoying garbage to boot. I strongly advise anyone considering buying it not to.

PS -- I sent two requests for support to Cyberlink (one to 'Support', another to Webmaster. As of this writing, am still awaiting a response. Good thing I finally found the secret to completing the 'uninstall'.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 15. 2012 18:21

BARNEYD23 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tn./ Ga. Joined: Jan 12, 2012 15:36 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the world of hurry up and wait. I'd just like to know how you got to the point where you could "uninstall" in the first place. Their "respond within 48 hrs." is meant as humor and only one person seems to be offering solutions here but from what I observe, he gives it maybe 5 minutes a day. I have wasted almost 3 days trying to get the program to work and have gotten nowhere.......period. I have now asked for my money back and will be contacting my CC in the morning about this issue. I suggest you do the same and I wish I had never followed Microsofts suggestion that I download this product and they will hear from me as well. Good Luck! Plain talk isn't hard to understand and NEVER back anything into a corner that's meaner than you are.
bork [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep. I learned the hard way. 'No trial version, no sale.' Got to wonder how much they kicked back to MS to get them to include PDVD on OE packages.

Good luck with getting your $$$ back.

regards,

bd
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bork,

I do not know the "I got a popup offering to sell me a pc software accelerator "

there is no such offering in our trial version!

Please confirm from which page you downloaded the trial - and if possible provide a snapshot of the message to buy the mentioned "Software accelerator"

Our website also does not use any pop-ups

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
bork [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Bork,

I do not know the "I got a popup offering to sell me a pc software accelerator "

there is no such offering in our trial version!

Please confirm from which page you downloaded the trial - and if possible provide a snapshot of the message to buy the mentioned "Software accelerator"

Our website also does not use any pop-ups

br
Michael

Got it right off your site.
http://www.cyberlink.com/index_en_US.html?r=1

Here's the file:
CyberLink.v2218_r70001_R1_DVD111007-02.exe

Can't get you a screen shot, because I uninstalled your POS program and I'm not about to install it again. But if you're saying you don't have a popup offering to sell a pc accelerator in your trial ver, you're either uninformed or prevaricating. Ditto your website. Am including a screenshot of that popup.

br,

bd

[Thumb - clPopup.jpg]
 Filename
clPopup.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Site popup
 Filesize
204 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
200 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2012 12:10

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

there is still no pop-up. Your snapshot shows your member account....

br

Werde Facebook Fan
Jan Erik [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2012 06:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Well
for my part , i installed the trial yesterday and have just uninstalled it - i just have to play my own bluray´s ripped to my pc/nas and just have to PLAY .>One of my blurays (pc) won´t play and promted (missing information on this disc) and asked for "updating" information on internet before playing - THATS JUST CRAP !- (it´s ok to ask - but DEMAND before playing - thats NOT ok.
i click the message away - but couldn´t play my own bluray
Mike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2009 01:42 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
if you want to play BR disc trouble free then purchase a standalone player, PDVD is nothing but trouble, it is never fixed, dont be strung along by em.
[Post New]
Quote: Well
for my part , i installed the trial yesterday and have just uninstalled it - i just have to play my own bluray´s ripped to my pc/nas and just have to PLAY .>One of my blurays (pc) won´t play and promted (missing information on this disc) and asked for "updating" information on internet before playing - THATS JUST CRAP !- (it´s ok to ask - but DEMAND before playing - thats NOT ok.
i click the message away - but couldn´t play my own bluray

Hi this sounds that the certificate folder is missing - this folder is mandatory by BD standard and must be created by the software that creates your structure.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
flogger123 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 24, 2012 08:22 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
I got no problems so far using this version.