Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AVI and codec files
ronhol [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: Dec 30, 2011 01:45 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using FRAPS to record flights on Microsoft Flight Simulator vX. FRAPS is a great little program that makes a full size uncompressed AVI file of the flight or parts of it. I was hoping to use Power Director 10 to create videos from the simulator, however I find I cannot import the AVI files into P.D.10 or even Windows Movie Maker because on importing them into the program I get the following message :
"This AVI file cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer."
I have foud a link to TechSmith Screen Capture Codec (TSCC) this appears to be what I need to install? has anyone had this problem and used this download.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have been using FRAPS to record flights on Microsoft Flight Simulator vX. FRAPS is a great little program that makes a full size uncompressed AVI file of the flight or parts of it. I was hoping to use Power Director 10 to create videos from the simulator, however I find I cannot import the AVI files into P.D.10 or even Windows Movie Maker because on importing them into the program I get the following message :
"This AVI file cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer."
I have foud a link to TechSmith Screen Capture Codec (TSCC) this appears to be what I need to install? has anyone had this problem and used this download.

FRAPS is a popular capture program, I think it uses the Dvix Codec, If you are using the 32 bit version of Powerdirector there is a Divx codec available on the Divx website. It does not work on 64 Bit PD or 64 Bit Windows 7.

There are plenty of video converters that will convert the FRAPS video to a format that Powerdirector can use.

TechSmith is a good software company, they make one of the best screen capture programs around.
Search for Camtasia.

Some of the people that make tutorials for Powerdirector use Camtasia Studio. (Pdtoots on Youtube)

ronhol [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice, if FRAPS uses Dvix Codec, is that why I am having trouble, my PC set up with Power Director 10 is 64 bit Widows 7. Does TechSmith or Cantasia cater for 64 bit?
[Post New]
Fraps may be based on DivX, but it is its own codec - Fraps FPS1.

See their FAQ for more info - http://www.fraps.com/faq.php

PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the advice, if FRAPS uses Dvix Codec, is that why I am having trouble, my PC set up with Power Director 10 is 64 bit Widows 7. Does TechSmith or Cantasia cater for 64 bit?

Camtasia Studio does work on Windows 7 64 bit, I did a trial a little while ago.

It is a great screen capture program, but with the extras, it is an expensive program ($299). They do have a free 30 day trial that is worth trying.

Check on the TechSmith web site, there is another screen capture program that does not cost as much.
Name is Snagit.
I have not tried it, but I plan to try the free trial soon.
ronhol [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys for the info, I have found the trouble, my flight simulator is run on one PC and my PD10 is run on another PC, so I copy and transfer the saved AVI to CD and this is were I am losing the codec information, so I plan to install Camtasia (thanks for the introduction Carl312) on my flight sim computer as the AVI files run OK using the same PC as they are created on.
amandasmith [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 03:30 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Check the following information http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20021.page;jsessionid=3AD10B4543325934149909ADE58282C0

Hope this information helps you.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Lots of FRAPS problems in here lately!

You're not alone, anyway...

http://frapsforum.com/threads/converting-fraps-footage-to-premiere-vegas-compatable-avi.36/
http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110818

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ronhol [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all your comments on this problem I was getting of trying to get AVI files to work in PD10. The answer has been in the fact I was using FRAPS to record scenes on a computer I use for running Flight Simulator and then saving the AVI files to disc and loading the disc into another computer I use for movie programs. To play the AVI files back I find you need to have FRAPS installed on the computer you are using to edit the AVI files in order for them to play. Everything is working fine now since PD10 now finds the codac and is able to play the takes without a problem.
heaye [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2012 04:53 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have been using FRAPS to record flights on Microsoft Flight Simulator vX. FRAPS is a great little program that makes a full size uncompressed AVI file of the flight or parts of it. I was hoping to use Power Director 10 to create videos from the simulator, however I find I cannot import the AVI files into P.D.10 or even Windows Movie Maker because on importing them into the program I get the following message :

I use Fraps too.
and. I have problem with WindowsLiveMovieMaker.(but not WindowsMovieMaker. check spell L.i.v.e. because this is other version.)
If you want editing FrapsFIle without problem. i can recommand another professional program.
I use 'sony Vegas 10 platinum' for editing FPS1codecAVIfile(recorded with Fraps)
(Fraps work with FPS1codec, not with divxcodec)
camtasia is not a program for game-recording. we use camtasia for window-screen-recording.
Fraps is a program for game-recording. fraps can record window-screen only with aero-screen-mode.

I am here for PowerDVD12Triel (not for powerdirector)
I have a problem. Powerdvd(triel version) can not play FPS1codecAVIfile(recorded with Fraps)
so I searching anyinformation in this forum.
anybody can help me??

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 04. 2012 03:41

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi heaye ,
Please post as a new topic.
Thanks
Forum Moderator